home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-24-2020, 09:36 AM   #1
Joel0917
Grand Villa

Default Travel Agency Ponzi-style schemes article

Although not directly related to Disney does remind me of the other thread on this and issues with renting out DVC points.

Click Here for Yahoo article
Stayed: SSR, AKV, AKL, THV, All star music, sprots and movies, , Pop Century, AofA, BLT, CBR, Coronado, CCV and BRV, Poly, VGF, Port Orleans, Swan & Dolphin
Disneyland: 1998,2010, 2014, 2016
Stayed: VGC in 14/16
Disney cruise: 2007, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019
Wonder 2x and Fantasy 5x Magic 1x, Dream 1x
Upcoming:
Riviera Aug 2020
Boardwalk Oct 2020
Aulauni Dec 2020 for NYE
Joel0917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:42 AM   #2
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

That is a shame.

Robin's agency does not take direct payments for trips/vacations.....and never has! All travel agencies when booking your trips should be making all payments direct to the vendor. Even group bookings should all be done directly with the vendor.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:25 AM   #3
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

I have booked with tour companies and will continue to do so. I don't believe that "all payments should be made directly to the vendor" is always an accurate statement.

Think about the EFTours mentioned in the story. We did a Girl Scout Tour through them. 10 hotels, meals etc. You really think I am going to send a random restaurant in London 'advance payment" . I know people who have tours booked with them and if they actually READ the contract the money EF is keeping was defined (most people however, never bother to read these things)

That said the big lesson is do NOT pay for these things using debit cards or bank account transfers you need a credit card behind you

And know your provider. "Bubba Gumps Cheapest Flights EVER" is NOT a good idea. Go over on Trip Advisor and read the literally THOUSANDS of rants and whines about people who booked with "Kiwi' and "travelgenio" and "random site I found on the internet" and now can't get their cash. Of course reviews of these sites before COVID were HORRID and now you throw this into the mix and expect service?
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:30 AM   #4
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolA View Post

That said the big lesson is do NOT pay for these things using debit cards or bank account transfers you need a credit card behind you

And know your provider. "Bubba Gumps Cheapest Flights EVER" is NOT a good idea. Go over on Trip Advisor and read the literally THOUSANDS of rants and whines about people who booked with "Kiwi' and "travelgenio" and "random site I found on the internet" and now can't get their cash. Of course reviews of these sites before COVID were HORRID and now you throw this into the mix and expect service?
Really good advice, IMO. Do your homework (there's really no excuse as there is a wealth of information out there) and always use a Credit Card. ANd, yes, in 95+% of the cases, the cheapest option one finds is a bad idea.

We very rarely book anything that one might call a tour but, when we do, we follow through with the above.

Cheers.