home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-06-2019, 02:25 PM   #21
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Disgusting....What the hell is wrong with people?
Old 11-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #22
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
Aside from a very sophisticated facial recognition system and LOTS of cameras....... and a massive budget, how could they possibly do this? People come to WDW from all over the world also. So you'd need international police cooperation.

I'm guessing it would only be 'by chance' or 'after the fact' that they even know.

best,

................john
Agreed - not sure how they could manage this. There is no question that some registered offenders would be breaking the law by entering WDW, but Disney has no way to control that. Those on monitoring devices would likely be tagged by law enforcement, but those who are not would most likely go in and out with no one ever knowing.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #23
cpnkirk
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyfan0805 View Post
Agreed - not sure how they could manage this. There is no question that some registered offenders would be breaking the law by entering WDW, but Disney has no way to control that. Those on monitoring devices would likely be tagged by law enforcement, but those who are not would most likely go in and out with no one ever knowing.
I would guess most people have an MDE account, but that info could be fake.

Can you still just walk up to the ticket window and buy a one day ticket and enter without giving any personal info? I guess they would give you a card. I never considered how their system would work w/ no MDE account.
cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #24
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnkirk View Post
I would guess most people have an MDE account, but that info could be fake.

Can you still just walk up to the ticket window and buy a one day ticket and enter without giving any personal info? I guess they would give you a card. I never considered how their system would work w/ no MDE account.
I don't know what is required to buy a ticket at the window, but they never see your ID for online purchases unless you are picking up a will call order. Every time we go I buy 5 tickets for our family. Those could have any name on them and Disney would never know the difference.

I would even question the legality of Disney running warrantless background checks on every name that runs through the system. I am not legally versed in the area, but I know we can't run a background check in the church without a signed authorization from the person who's background we are chcking. I don't see how Disney would simply be able to do it for everyone coming through.

Last edited by Mickeyfan0805; 11-06-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Mickeyfan0805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:12 PM   #25
CruzanGal
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Iím fairly sure that Disney does use facial recognition and compares outstanding warrants. There was someone who had embezzled a significant amount of money from the company where I am employed. He was arrested walking from the Magic Kingdom to the parking lot because Disney security notified the local police that he was on property and because he was ďnot a threatĒ they would let the authorities know when he left the park so they could apprehend him. So when you steal a few million $$ your first response should not be - Iím going to Disney World.
CruzanGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:19 PM   #26
cpnkirk
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyfan0805 View Post
I don't know what is required to buy a ticket at the window, but they never see your ID for online purchases unless you are picking up a will call order. Every time we go I buy 5 tickets for our family. Those could have any name on them and Disney would never know the difference.

I would even question the legality of Disney running warrantless background checks on every name that runs through the system. I am not legally versed in the area, but I know we can't run a background check in the church without a signed authorization from the person who's background we are chcking. I don't see how Disney would simply be able to do it for everyone coming through.
But you typically connect that ticket to an MDE account, right? I think that Disney could search names of registered sex offenders, as this guy apparently was, to compare with names on MDE. You could always use a fake name on MDE, of course. I doubt this is the same thing as a background check.
cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:14 PM   #27
WiltonJohn
Two Bedroom

From a little research: 2014 - "Because Disney is a private company, they are allowed to check guests' names and run them through the sex offender databases, removing those whose names show up." - Leah Zanolla
Old 11-06-2019, 07:16 PM   #28
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundin' View Post
Where is a Prince to protect you when you need one?
That reminds me, I don't know about now, but when I went to DL in 2005, every Princess was accompanied by a Prince. I thought it was so nice to see, but now I'm thinking that there might have been a good benefit, in addition-to protect the princesses!
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:26 PM   #29
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
That reminds me, I don't know about now, but when I went to DL in 2005, every Princess was accompanied by a Prince. I thought it was so nice to see, but now I'm thinking that there might have been a good benefit, in addition-to protect the princesses!
That should be the handler’s job. There’s already enough concern about Disney princesses teaching young girls they need a man to rescue them! Every character greeting has a handler or two.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:45 PM   #30
Boundin'
Grand Villa

She should have slapped him silly with her fins

Bippity Boppity Boo Muthafu@$as!

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote