home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-20-2019, 08:18 PM   #21
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
A few years ago used curbside check in at SFO. Guy took my bags and took me straight to curbside, processed everything, and then said $5 per bag before he would give me my bag tickets. Virtually no choice.
I think in some places they had made (not sure if it's still the case) and actual fee for outside bag check. We don't check bags, so not sure.

If I leave bags at bell services for whatever reason, I also do a $1/bag on retrieval, and sometimes add more if it's very prompt. I'm tipping for service, and not as a formality. On rare occasions I've reduced or tipped nothing when things took too long without a good reason.

Cheers.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:41 PM   #22
uwdude
One Bedroom

I would probably write the GM, but I would do it more in a tone of asking whether that is the normal procedure, and if they are allowed to do that, rather than come off angry or offended. If it is not the norm, the GM will jump all over it and apologize and make sure those people know they aren't allowed. If it is the norm, then the GM will write back explaining apologetically that it is normal unfortunately but hopes the rest of your stay was pleasant kind of thing. Either way then the matter will be clarified as to the official policy.
uwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:51 PM   #23
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
I usually tip them, but only the standard $1 per bag.

Asking for a tip is too pushy. Asking for tips has become so common now. Its really gone too far on where I see the tip jars now.

Agreed. Well, whatever the smallest bill I have is. Iíve given $10 a couple times since I had nothing else. To their credit, the receivers were extremely appreciative.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:57 PM   #24
DVCmember2001
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

We tip for the service provided, not by the bag. Being blessed with the financial resources to be DVC members, $15 - $20 dollars for curbside check-in is well worth the money. Also, at least $10 for the bus / shuttle driver / bell services, $5 for maid service in a studio, $10 for a one bedroom etc. Obviously, if the service is not Disney quality, we adjust the tip accordingly.

Seeing the look in these workers faces confirms that the extra dollars are genuinely appreciated.
DVCmember2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:13 AM   #25
Miki
Studio

About 3 years ago, we heard a similar request at SSR. We donít check bags but I walked the son in law over to the airline check in so he could check his. I had already told him to get some money out for a tip and Iím not sure now if she was talking to us or the people in front of us, but she said, this is a tipped service provided by the airlines. Or something to that effect. She was making it very clear to the group of people there that a tip was expected.
I remember being a little put off at the time. I donít like people assuming I wouldnít tip. I tip for everything and I donít like cheapness.
My take away from this was that they get stiffed all the time because a lot of people donít understand protocol.

Home resorts: BLT, BWV, and VWL
Miki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:04 AM   #26
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
I think in some places they had made (not sure if it's still the case) and actual fee for outside bag check. We don't check bags, so not sure.

If I leave bags at bell services for whatever reason, I also do a $1/bag on retrieval, and sometimes add more if it's very prompt. I'm tipping for service, and not as a formality. On rare occasions I've reduced or tipped nothing when things took too long without a good reason.

Cheers.
I think it was a legit fee, but it wasn't published anywhere and the way it was handled was not upfront. But that's par for the course.

MCO was particularly odious in this regard last week.

At car rental drop off, you can walk straight up to a for-fee curbside bag check or take an elevator or escalator to the crossover to the terminal.

At the elevator, there was a handwritten sign that it was out of order, so please take the escalator to the right. At the escalator, there was a handwritten sign saying "Out of order. Please take elevator to the left."

Your actual choice was to go to the $5 per bag curbside or walk a ways down the garage to another cross over.

So, we walk further down, cross over at another crossing and check our bags. We had Priority service so it took all of 89 seconds and saved us $15 (we had 3 bags).

I have extremely low opinions of airports these days.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #27
leo122160
Studio

Had similar issue at BWV airline check in few weeks ago. We took our checked bags to check in, there were 3 female workers there, weighed my one bag, about 59 pounds, they started to mention weight, I advised them of my first class tickets, (we splurged for our grandkids first time flying), the one immediately was hounding me for an "extra large tip " because I can afford it - I gave the usual $2 a bag I've been giving forever, she started talking loudly I should maybe give her one of my wife's rings she had on. I ignored her. It's a shame that it has become like this, I was going to report them, but really don't want the hassle. All luggage arrived where it was supposed to. But a little stressful that you have to worry about that while away.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:51 AM   #28
RedVines
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyBond2 View Post
I'm considering emailing the Resort GM, but at this point, the Vacation is over, it was a great time, my bags made it, and I felt my tip was appropriate. That was my biggest question, are the Airline Check-in Staff Non-Disney Employees?
I would email GM. This seems incredibly inappropriate. If the front end staff are being stiffed there are better ways to handle it (posted sign, notice on the check out slip etc) but to verbally pressure a guest for a specific tip amount is completely unacceptable in my book. I would be pissed at the sense of entitlement, especially since you already had a tip out and ready for them.

If a Disney CM did this i feel like the general sentiment would be a lot less forgiving. Disney needs to keep their vendors up to par with their service standards.
RedVines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:33 PM   #29
MMC1
Grand Villa

I would like to see major adjustments made to all aspects of tipping.
If they expect $10 a bag it is time they declare this on tax returns.
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:49 PM   #30
Adelard of Bath
Two Bedroom

If the check-in at the resorts is basically part of the airport...I've never once considered tipping at the airport when checking my bags at the counter. Imagine yourself at the Delta counter or whatever inside the airport, it seems crazy to tip. Curbside? Probably wouldn't occur to me, since I lugged my bags up there and checked them into what appears to be a system run by the airline and the person working has a Delta uniform or whatever airline.

I give the bell services guy five bucks to move our four suitcases 25 feet in two minutes. Maybe I'm cheap, but handing someone a twenty to move my four suitcases 25 feet seems insane.
Adelard of Bath is online now   Reply With Quote