home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-15-2020, 08:41 PM   #11
ilphil
Studio

Default Will Be Awaiting Your Report

That is a major bucket list item for me. Unfortunately my wife would like to do the British Isles again, and our daughter really wants to do Norway.
So many decisions...
ilphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:38 PM   #12
tammymacb
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Please give us a trip report!! That will likely be our next cruise after Norway.

What excursion have you chosen? What are the ports? Tantalize us!!

Dirk
We've booked everything at this point. This cruise has a really low number of port days, which is kind of disappointing and will be super relaxing all at the same time. We're making the most of it and if we dine someplace we adore, we'll go back- flights to BCN are super reasonable currently.

Here's plans thus far..

I actually have to work on Sunday the 10th and we sail Monday. So, I'm working until 3PM and have a 6:50 PM flight out of Charleston airport direct to Mia. We're staying at the Hotel Abae Miami Beach overnight. It's walking distance to the port.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...h_Florida.html

Our next stop is Ponta Delgada in the Azores. We booked a private tour that will take us around the island to site see. I found that all of our stops were on the short(wish) side so I had to book 1/2 day trips.

In Lisbon, we have another private tour booked. Lisbon looks gorgeous, but I was torn and also considered a trip to Sintra which is supposed to be amazing. Again, however, I didn't feel like we had enough time in port to travel there and back and not feel rushed.

Finally in Cadiz.. you guessed it, another private tour- this one a walking tour with a local. Wandering about seems to be everyones plans for this trip. I'm hoping for a ton of lovely pictures.

When we arrive in Barcelona we'll be joined by our UK friends and are staying at the H10 Cubik.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...Catalonia.html
It's in the Gothic District and on (or a street away from, not sure) Las Ramblas. In Barcelona we're planning a Parc Guell trip and also Le Sagrada Familia day. I also have a Rick Steve's app on my phone and we'll do our own Gothic district walking tour. We plan on lots of tapas places and just seeing the sites before we fly home 4 days later.

Onboard, we're all booked. We've got tastings, Palo dinner and brunch and we're carefully eyeing a (still available) 2 bedroom concierge room. If it's open on May 11th, we may split it between the 4 of us and travel in style. We'll see!

Ah, memory impairment!The free prize at the bottom of every vodka bottle!
Ding, Ding, Ding! Boring story time is now over....
tammymacb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:58 PM   #13
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammymacb View Post
We've booked everything at this point. This cruise has a really low number of port days, which is kind of disappointing and will be super relaxing all at the same time. We're making the most of it and if we dine someplace we adore, we'll go back- flights to BCN are super reasonable currently.

Here's plans thus far..

I actually have to work on Sunday the 10th and we sail Monday. So, I'm working until 3PM and have a 6:50 PM flight out of Charleston airport direct to Mia. We're staying at the Hotel Abae Miami Beach overnight. It's walking distance to the port.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...h_Florida.html

Our next stop is Ponta Delgada in the Azores. We booked a private tour that will take us around the island to site see. I found that all of our stops were on the short(wish) side so I had to book 1/2 day trips.

In Lisbon, we have another private tour booked. Lisbon looks gorgeous, but I was torn and also considered a trip to Sintra which is supposed to be amazing. Again, however, I didn't feel like we had enough time in port to travel there and back and not feel rushed.

Finally in Cadiz.. you guessed it, another private tour- this one a walking tour with a local. Wandering about seems to be everyones plans for this trip. I'm hoping for a ton of lovely pictures.

When we arrive in Barcelona we'll be joined by our UK friends and are staying at the H10 Cubik.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...Catalonia.html
It's in the Gothic District and on (or a street away from, not sure) Las Ramblas. In Barcelona we're planning a Parc Guell trip and also Le Sagrada Familia day. I also have a Rick Steve's app on my phone and we'll do our own Gothic district walking tour. We plan on lots of tapas places and just seeing the sites before we fly home 4 days later.

Onboard, we're all booked. We've got tastings, Palo dinner and brunch and we're carefully eyeing a (still available) 2 bedroom concierge room. If it's open on May 11th, we may split it between the 4 of us and travel in style. We'll see!
That sounds like a very fun trip! Iíll have to check out the Rick STeveís app and other smartphone touring guides for London and Amsterdam, also Norway if any exist.

We stayed in South Beach in an AirBnB before our Cozumel cruise last year. Itís a lovely area, and youíre in a fun part of it. Super easy to walk around South Beach.

However - there is no way to walk to the port from South Beach/Miami Beach. I mean, yeah, technically you might be able to, but, no. Itíd be easier to walk to MK from Boardwalk Inn.

We took Lyfts anywhere we didnít walk in Miami, from airport to AirBnB, to downtown Miami, back again, and to port. All very easy. Word of advice, pay for an upgraded vehicle if you do rideshare. The standard vehicles resulted in some ďinterestingĒ experiences, including a mid-50s female driver doing a coding job interview while driving us from downtown Miami back to South Beach in an older Corolla. Yikes!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:57 AM   #14
tammymacb
Add-on Aficionado

Oh my. Well, Uber or Lyft it is. I actually picked the Abae because it's 0.3 miles from the port but I'm unfamiliar with the location so who knows how you travel that 0.3 miles. We're traveling with Nancy and Becky and a bunch of luggage, so we'll definitely be doing an XL.

Ah, memory impairment!The free prize at the bottom of every vodka bottle!
Ding, Ding, Ding! Boring story time is now over....
tammymacb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:55 AM   #15
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammymacb View Post
Oh my. Well, Uber or Lyft it is. I actually picked the Abae because it's 0.3 miles from the port but I'm unfamiliar with the location so who knows how you travel that 0.3 miles. We're traveling with Nancy and Becky and a bunch of luggage, so we'll definitely be doing an XL.
That's as the crow flies. You should be at the port in about 10-15 minutes after pick-up. We went on a Sunday morning, so there wasn't much traffic but the roads weren't empty. Be aware if there are any festivals or such. Apparently one was coming up a couple of weeks after we left that would pretty much shut down Miami Beach.

Here's the route. It's 5.4 miles by car. Still technically walkable, but you would have to use a different causeway that has sidewalks, and I'm not sure you can actually walk onto the island with the cruise terminal.

Dirk

Last edited by carolina_yankee; 02-18-2020 at 10:01 AM.
carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote