home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-22-2020, 09:26 PM   #6071
cpnkirk
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1000monkeys View Post
Another trip bites the dust. Just got an email that our late June campsite was cancelled as the state park will remain closed. But hey, another refund to look forward to!
oh no! We have a mid July family camping trip @ the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. Still hoping they open the campgrounds in time for that one!
cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:00 AM   #6072
flypwm
Two Bedroom

At this point I'm wondering if our December trip to WDW will even happen. I'm sure Disney World will be open, but I really wonder what the restrictions will look like. We'd be fine with masks, but curious what crowd control looks like.
flypwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:43 AM   #6073
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Does this impact transit as well? we're planning to transit LHR en route to Italy in December (of course, I hope even the UK is clear by then as well).

Cheers.
Official exemptions include transit passengers who stay airside. So as long as you donít do a tour of London during a 12 hr stop over, youíll be fine.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...k-border-rules
Nickys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:22 AM   #6074
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by flypwm View Post
At this point I'm wondering if our December trip to WDW will even happen. I'm sure Disney World will be open, but I really wonder what the restrictions will look like. We'd be fine with masks, but curious what crowd control looks like.
Things will be back to normal by December.
If not, I will be very upset.

And we all know what that means! -- nothing of consequence.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:51 AM   #6075
bakerworld
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post

Old 05-23-2020, 10:48 AM   #6076
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Ha, yep, already there...
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:28 AM   #6077
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:

Things won't be *back* to normal by December but we *may* be at a *new normal* if a vaccine is confirmed and being disbursed and/or effective treatment is widely available.

I think some version of masking and social distancing is with us until next Spring at the earliest. That means Disney won't be able to function at full capacity or have all their offerings on the table yet.

As for you being upset, I suspect the worst we'll see will be sarcastic humor instead of off-the-wall humor.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:58 AM   #6078
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Things won't be *back* to normal by December but we *may* be at a *new normal* if a vaccine is confirmed and being disbursed and/or effective treatment is widely available.

I think some version of masking and social distancing is with us until next Spring at the earliest. That means Disney won't be able to function at full capacity or have all their offerings on the table yet.

As for you being upset, I suspect the worst we'll see will be sarcastic humor instead of off-the-wall humor.

Dirk
Our schools are running into issues even with masks. Can we force all kids to wear? Who provides? How do we do gym, music, lunch with them. Those are valid question for public schools. I think summer will bring a natural fade here. It was in the 80s and I was test riding bikes. Required mask... it sucked. People were removing outside including workers. I kept mine on, but still... happened at both stores I went to. (Being 5' tall makes finding bikes more difficult)

I do not feel confident in a vaccine and truly starting to feel it's foolish to think we will get one.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:46 AM   #6079
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Our schools are running into issues even with masks. Can we force all kids to wear? Who provides? How do we do gym, music, lunch with them. Those are valid question for public schools. I think summer will bring a natural fade here. It was in the 80s and I was test riding bikes. Required mask... it sucked. People were removing outside including workers. I kept mine on, but still... happened at both stores I went to. (Being 5' tall makes finding bikes more difficult)

I do not feel confident in a vaccine and truly starting to feel it's foolish to think we will get one.
I share your questions on mask compliance, I'm actually more positive on the vaccine!

Right now, it seems the big concern around infection is indoor activities. I can potentially see us moving to a phase where if you are indoors in a public place, mask up. If you are outside, no mask unless you are in a crowd. It think most kids, quite frankly, would adapt to that because kids tend to be far more adaptable than adults. But, as with everything, there will be a learning curve, testing the limits, etc. In the end, it's not about elimination of risk, but mitigation of risk. If infects are at an acceptably low level, things will work.

My other thought on masks, though, emphasizes how hard being indoors is going to be. We are having very interesting conversations on the church side of things about how to conduct worship. There are similar challenges to a classroom. The risk seems to be low when you are in a big space, moving about, and get in/get out. In a church, like a classroom, you are in one space, near the same people for an hour. Social distancing will be essential.

Then there is the other problem - churches are starting to accept that there will be absolutely zero singing by choirs and congregation until there is a 95% effective treatment or a vaccine. Singing is the most efficient way to spread the virus. Professional singers are absolute experts at spewing virus everywhere. While two people talking need to be six feet apart, singers have to be a minimum of 20 feet apart due to the extra force of exhaling aerosolized virus.

Basic plans emerging in churches who actually think these things through with experts is that capacity will be severely limited to 25 - 50% of capacity, based on building configuration, ventilation, and such. People will have to sit far apart. Everyone will have to be masked. Touch points will have to be wiped down regularly. There will be zero prayerbooks or hymnals. Offering plates will not be passed but instead people will drop their offerings in as they walk past. There will be either minimal or zero social activities at church and absolutely no touching/exchange of the peace via touch, etc.

I have five baptisms I need to do. That is going to be very interesting.

Fortunately, our building holds 200 people and has 25 foot ceiling with great ventilation (18th century construction - lots of leaks in the walls!). AC drops from above rather than blows from side to side. Heat is radiator. Our average attendance is 106. We can easily drop to 25% capacity by holding two services.

I don't know what schools will be able to do with sports, Phys. Ed., or music and drama programs.

Of course, if the virus fades away or if treatment/vaccine appear, the above disappear in some fashion.

Dirk

Old 05-24-2020, 08:52 AM   #6080
carolina_yankee
Administrator

OK - answering the original question on changing any plans:

I'm seriously considering Plan C now.

Plan A was cruise to Norway. Nix.

Plan B is stay at AKV-Kidani and visit parks. Our friends, though, had to bail because Disney canceled their reservation due to excess borrowing. I'm also skeptical about just how much of Disney will be available to enjoy or enjoyable what is available will be. I'll know more on that this week, hopefully, based on Disney's presentation to Orange County.

Plan C, emerging, is Hilton Head and Savannah - stay at the Omni Hilton Head for six nights, then another 4-6 nights in Savannah, and drive back home.

We decided we either want Disney or we want water. Preferably both, but that ship sailed - or didn't, in this case. However, Disney just makes me nervous about how regimented and enjoyable things may be, so Plan C is starting to look very interesting!

I'm so glad I have an August Use Year right now! If I cancel, I'll book a trip for after Easter next year. If that goes kablooey, I'll know early enough to bank into Aug 2021 UY. With 640 points in Aug 2021 should that happen, I may seriously have to think about a cabin!!

Dirk