home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #61
smmcgarry
Banned

[quote=DVC Doctor;1402482]I am glad you appealed this as I personally found the original post of "getting someone fired" a little offensive for such a minor infraction.

Driving aggressively and almost running someone off the road minor? What is major to you?
smmcgarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #62
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowrbazzle View Post
Much like childbirth, it's certainly more stressful when your kids are involved.

Nobel Prize winning psychologist Daniel Kahneman says you might be better off with a one-week vacation than a two-week one. http://www.businessinsider.com/how-l...-travel-2017-7
Be careful when cherry picking information. So, from the same article.

Quote:
If you want to maximize the happiness of your experiencing self, plan a lengthy vacation. An extra week of sipping cocktails in the sun will almost certainly keep your stress levels lower than hunching over your keyboard at work.
This is exactly the reason for our vacations. If we want to experience and explore, Disney would not be the destination.

He says it is good for some people and a waste for others. That headline is click-bait. "Two week vacations are a waste!" It is also worth noting that Daniel Kahneman did not write that article. It was someone else using snippets of Kahneman's research and providing scientific data in click-bait format outlining that depending on the goals of your vacation, some people would find shorter stays more rewarding.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #63
goofy kc
Two Bedroom

Does this whole think feel a little 'troll-ish' to anyone?
Old 10-14-2017, 05:43 PM   #64
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy kc View Post
Old 10-14-2017, 09:34 PM   #65
DVC Doctor
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmcgarry View Post
We went back to MK on Tuesday and had a pretty bad experience with a cast member trying to run us off the road on World Drive. She was wearing a Tomorrowland uniform. We went to guest services and complained about her, giving them a description of her, her vehicle and he license plate. We were given 2 FPs and told that when it was discovered who she was, it would not be a training issue... she would not be welcome back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smmcgarry View Post
Driving aggressively and almost running someone off the road minor? What is major to you?
YES this is MINOR.

The issue for me with your post is that this is YOUR Opinion of her "almost" running you off the road. Perhaps you were in the wrong and she was driving normally and it was your misunderstanding of the roads (as you are new to Florida). I am not trying to discount what happened, and perhaps you are correct, BUT unless there is some video evidence, it really is your opinion of what happened, and according to your post, you were not actually run off the road and and certainly no damage was done to your car.

What if she gets fired for something like this, then you really should feel guilty. What if she is a single mom and this is her primary source of income for a job with benefits? What if she is in the college internship program and now gets kicked out of the program? I really hope Disney will not fire people driving to work based on a complaint by some guest without hard evidence.

The drivers in Florida are pretty bad (you really can't tell the locals vs tourists) and I suggest that you better stay off I-4 as you will need a full time assistant to write down the license plate of every driver that may or may not cut you off. Perhaps you should invest in a windshield mounted video camera to record these incidents.

A Major incident to me is a bad car crash or something involving firearms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy kc View Post
Yes, it does.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:45 PM   #66
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Doctor View Post
YES this is MINOR.

The issue for me with your post is that this is YOUR Opinion of her "almost" running you off the road. Perhaps you were in the wrong and she was driving normally and it was your misunderstanding of the roads (as you are new to Florida). I am not trying to discount what happened, and perhaps you are correct, BUT unless there is some video evidence, it really is your opinion of what happened, and according to your post, you were not actually run off the road and and certainly no damage was done to your car.

What if she gets fired for something like this, then you really should feel guilty. What if she is a single mom and this is her primary source of income for a job with benefits? What if she is in the college internship program and now gets kicked out of the program? I really hope Disney will not fire people driving to work based on a complaint by some guest without hard evidence.

The drivers in Florida are pretty bad (you really can't tell the locals vs tourists) and I suggest that you better stay off I-4 as you will need a full time assistant to write down the license plate of every driver that may or may not cut you off. Perhaps you should invest in a windshield mounted video camera to record these incidents.

Yes, it does.
I doubt seriously that Disney would ever fire an employee because a guest complained about their off-duty behavior with zero evidence to back it up. If it was a union employee, then I’m sure Disney would be in a heap of trouble.

One person's being run off the road is another person's safely passing them in the left lane without evidence.

If a guest services rep promised the firing of an employee on such flimsy an excuse, they then went into the back room, rolled their eyes, and laughed.

Dirk
Old 10-14-2017, 09:52 PM   #67
MagicAllAroundUs
One Bedroom

OP, I haven't read the other comments - sorry!

It sounds like you were having a bad day in general. Disney wasn't to blame for a lot of what happened to you, and it was nice of them to have offered Fastpasses to cheer you up. They're not to blame for rain or for something a CM might have done when they're not on the clock, so I sincerely hope someone doesn't actually lose their job because of their reckless driving.

Your post seemed like it was there just because you needed a place to vent, and what better way than to do it online on a forum, right? People are a lot more courageous and open when they feel like the people they're talking to can't really influence their day to day lives. However, keep in mind that you were also venting on a forum that's filled with Disney-lovers. They're prooooobably not going to be as open to the negativity.

I hope you have better days ahead..

1990, 1992, 1994, 1998, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017

Home Resorts: BWV, BCV, AKV, SSR, BLT, PVB
MagicAllAroundUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:53 PM   #68
MagicAllAroundUs
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
I don't think your post is problematic. Some people might be annoyed by it but that is pretty much the way it goes with everything on the internet. I wouldn't have responded to it because it just sounds like you were venting and I don't want to feed into that.

Also, now that you've escaped please stay out of Mordor.

1990, 1992, 1994, 1998, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017

Home Resorts: BWV, BCV, AKV, SSR, BLT, PVB
MagicAllAroundUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:12 PM   #69
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Doctor View Post
YES this is MINOR.

Yes, it does.
Actually it's opinion vs opinion. He stated he was almost run off the road, without details you really can't say he wasn't or he was. Almost is the key word or should one have to end up in a ditch to verify? You are questioning then admitting he stated almost, not that he was.
He already stated, he called to add to or 'take away' from his complaint. So is it really necessary with all the what if's and guilt trip. What if she is everything you stated but drives like a ahole and one day kills someone? Would that make a difference? What if it was one of your love ones. So please, being a college intern (don't drive like a ahole) being a single mom.....really if she was driving and almost cut him of the road. Her circumstances are a excuse? No, they aren't just like it would not be for me.
As far as driving in FL. You can't differentiate the tourist from the locals because the majority of Floridians are not locals. They are from everywhere and they either all came from states that have bad drivers or it's something in the water that makes them drive like idiots. So I don't blame it on the few minority true Floridians.
Major incident is a bad car crash or involving fire arms? Well there are plenty of major incidents and many fatalities on the FL roads just in central FL. Sometimes on a daily basis, firearms too, but actually they seem to end up many times with a better outcome than MVC's.
As far as passing lanes. I live in the NE, where for some reason people don't understand the left is a passing lane. In FL, people think that speeding up to 90 on the right and then flying over is okay. I've never seen more people pass from the right.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:32 AM   #70
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Keep in mind that just because OP said he was nearly run off the road doesn't mean he was, and the he also said that GS told him if the CM was identified it would be a firing offense. How many of you believe that your job rests on some stranger going to customer service to complain about your off-duty driving habits with zero evidence?

Tale gets fishier.

As for online venting - yeah, it can be cathartic, it's also trollish behavior because people post things online they would never say in person and that's not conducive to community.

Encouraging people to vent in anonymous forums is encouraging a disruption to the community that has been built here.

We have no difficulty with people complaining about Disney - everyone here has at one point another, but at some point, the complaints need to be logical, and some things here don't pass the smell test.

Dirk