home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #11
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

I wonder how this will affect buying tickets at underground tourist and at the base. It will make it harder ofball tickets are date specific. I noticed that at underground tourist the tickets have to be activated this year 2018.
Shewill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:48 PM   #12
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ble/328015002/

Wdw is sensitive to bad press
Shewill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:07 PM   #13
Nickys
Grand Villa

I very much doubt they'll go the whole Shanghai route here.

There's no way they'll insist people specify the exact dates on which you will visit on a 5 day ticket, or insist you visit on 5 consecutive days. Not in Orlando, not a chance. IMO.

More than likely this just means that instead of buying a 5 day hopper ticket and being able to use it whenever you want, you'll have to buy a ticket for the season / month / date that you wish to visit, a bit like the hotel pricing or DVC point charts. Given that tickets expire after 14 days, they can then plan accordingly.

That way they can also adjust the prices if they want, so that you will pay less to visit in May than over Easter or Spring Break.

It also curtails, or restricts, the ticket resellers, in that they can't stockpile tickets either.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #14
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

I'd have to agree with you Nickys. I could see some version of this happening, but I'm not sure about full implementation with zero flexibility to shift dates. I haven't ever been to Shanghai Disney so I can't relate to how it compares to a DL or WDW from a traffic perspective.

I could see maybe offering a discount to lock in some dates with a 14 day window to match the current expiration of tickets sold. That still offers some flexibility for the guest and still allows Disney the ability to better plan.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #15
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjourno View Post
Last month I went to Shanghai Disney, where all tickets are date-specific. So if you wanted to buy a 2-day-pass, for example, you had to choose the date you would first arrive. Your ticket would then ONLY be available for that day and the day after - no exceptions.

The prices varied depending on the days chosen. So for example, if you started on a Saturday, it was most expensive as both Saturday and Sunday cost the most. If you started on a Sunday, it was a bit cheaper as you only paid the premium for one day, while the Monday was cheaper.

There wasn’t an option to, for example, choose Monday and Wednesday. They had to be consecutive days.

Why does this matter? I believe something similar is in the works for WDW and Disneyland. After the price increase they mentioned more changes coming. The quote towards the end of this article makes me believe the Shanghai method of ticketing was being tested there with the aim to bring it here.

The quote:
“Given the small percentage of guests that purchase a 1-day ticket at Walt Disney World, extending pre-published, date-specific pricing to multi-day tickets will further advance our efforts spread to attendance throughout the year," said Andrea Finger, spokeswoman for Walt Disney World.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/disn...rnia-1.3798673
Does Shanghai have FP plus though that onsite has to have their tickets 60 days in advance to book? Disney is going to be dealing with more people wanting refunds due to changes in plans if they start down this route.

Frankly I'm also starting to get tired of being a park visitor and having to pay or everything else that isn't working out so well for Disney.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:26 PM   #16
mountainjourno
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Does Shanghai have FP plus though that onsite has to have their tickets 60 days in advance to book? Disney is going to be dealing with more people wanting refunds due to changes in plans if they start down this route.

Frankly I'm also starting to get tired of being a park visitor and having to pay or everything else that isn't working out so well for Disney.
No FP plus, BUT in addition to getting your free FPs at the park, you can purchase FPs for individual rides...

mountainjourno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:33 PM   #17
mountainjourno
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
I haven't ever been to Shanghai Disney so I can't relate to how it compares to a DL or WDW from a traffic perspective.
They chose its location because there are 350 million people within a two-hour driving radius. We were there on a day where it was freezing cold, drizzling, and off season. It was as busy as a typical off-season Saturday at WDW (60-90 minute lines for many attractions)

Old 02-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #18
rowrbazzle
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Old 02-12-2018, 06:44 PM   #19
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Transit View Post
I wonder how they'll deal with the locals who just show up... there's no advance planning to staff-up for those who buy a last-minute ticket at the gate.
There is, they have averages and statistics to help them. Getting the number of prepurchased tickets is absolutely an indicator. So if I have 25,000 prepurchased tickets, and I know that typically for a day i get X number of locals, that is very telling. What they do today is estimate based on statistical averages and resort occupancy. (Some gross assumptions here...)

While nothing short of a crystal ball can give you the exact numbers of a variable crowd, I can see it being very powerful data for Disney.

I would love to hear how they use the data from these tickets in Shanghai. Of course, maybe they just make more money by reducing splits.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:59 PM   #20
mountainjourno
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealvarado8899 View Post

I would love to hear how they use the data from these tickets in Shanghai. Of course, maybe they just make more money by reducing splits.
The weird thing is that you canít get more than 2 days anyway (other than an annual pass) so they donít make more money by having you not split.