home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-16-2018, 02:05 PM   #21
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by attymom23 View Post
That is a great idea - and it will get me out of the house. Going a little stir crazy here. Sad that a trip to the wholesale club sounds like an adventure at this point. lol

I am going to look into the collapsible scooters for the duration of the trip. I would hate for this trip to be a bust because mom collapses from exhaustion trying to get to the parks on day one. This is a far cry from my half marathon running days at Disney - although my running is what led to the surgery...

Glad that no cast members gave you the stink eye - that was part of my concern with the wheelchair or scooter use because outwardly it doesn't look like there is anything wrong with me. This experience has given me new appreciation for what those living with limitations or disabilities face just to complete minor tasks.
I will say in general cast members have been nothing but kind when we've traveled with one. Seriously just wonderful about it. Don't let that worry you at all. Just be prepared to take it slow in an ECV and also that people do not look for you and might walk into you. That's our issue we've seen.

I've seen many 'young and healthy' types in them and I always assume there is an injury or disability that is holding them back. If you need one, use it. It will help you. My aunt who is obviously disabled fought on using one for so long. Once she finally did, she never went back. Don't regret using one if you have to.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:21 AM   #22
attymom23
One Bedroom

Default Update:

Thanks to all for the good ideas and support. I just wanted to follow up and say we had a fabulous vacation (despite the obligatory sick child - it happens every vacation and at least this year it did not result in half my family being removed from our flight - another story). A friend of mine just moved to the Orlando area a couple of years ago and she owns a scooter which she offered me for the trip. (Does anyone else have that friend who is prepared for anything and everything? - my friend found the scooter for a good price last year and purchased it "just in case" lol).

Our touring was cut back this trip even more than I planned because my daughter (11) had a sinus infection and wasn't feeling well a good part of the trip, and then my son (13) felt ill for a day (of course it was the day we went to Cape May Cafe and he didn't mention anything until after we were seated. He filled a plate, promptly went to the bathroom, returned a while later and announced he was ill and never took a bite of the food. Thankfully my 15 year old son ate enough to make up for my middle son's lack of appetite, and by the following day middle son was back to himself. At most we spend 3-4 hours at the parks a day until the last day, and I paced myself and viewed the scooter as an emergency measure.

I did walk a lot throughout the week, but tried to pace myself and take frequent breaks, stretched, and was virtually pain free which left me feeling overly confident in my abilities. So.... on the last day, with no scooter, a 9 pm flight, an entire day at Epcot, and a daughter who wanted to find all of the Easter Eggs in the World Showcase - I did overdo it that day, and found myself sore for a week afterward. I have recovered from the vacation and had a wonderful time - in part because this trip I was forced to go slow and enjoy the atmosphere more than usual.
attymom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:06 PM   #23
noreen99
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by attymom23 View Post
Thanks to all for the good ideas and support. I just wanted to follow up and say we had a fabulous vacation (despite the obligatory sick child - it happens every vacation and at least this year it did not result in half my family being removed from our flight - another story). A friend of mine just moved to the Orlando area a couple of years ago and she owns a scooter which she offered me for the trip. (Does anyone else have that friend who is prepared for anything and everything? - my friend found the scooter for a good price last year and purchased it "just in case" lol).

Our touring was cut back this trip even more than I planned because my daughter (11) had a sinus infection and wasn't feeling well a good part of the trip, and then my son (13) felt ill for a day (of course it was the day we went to Cape May Cafe and he didn't mention anything until after we were seated. He filled a plate, promptly went to the bathroom, returned a while later and announced he was ill and never took a bite of the food. Thankfully my 15 year old son ate enough to make up for my middle son's lack of appetite, and by the following day middle son was back to himself. At most we spend 3-4 hours at the parks a day until the last day, and I paced myself and viewed the scooter as an emergency measure.

I did walk a lot throughout the week, but tried to pace myself and take frequent breaks, stretched, and was virtually pain free which left me feeling overly confident in my abilities. So.... on the last day, with no scooter, a 9 pm flight, an entire day at Epcot, and a daughter who wanted to find all of the Easter Eggs in the World Showcase - I did overdo it that day, and found myself sore for a week afterward. I have recovered from the vacation and had a wonderful time - in part because this trip I was forced to go slow and enjoy the atmosphere more than usual.
Glad to hear your vacation was still fabulous best wishes for continued healing
noreen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #24
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

I would rent a scooter, they are easy to manage, and they are portable. You can use it both at BCV, and transport it to the marriott. you will be independent with the scooter, except for needing assistance collapsing it and getting it into and out of your car. Just read to the end of thread - glad you had a great trip
Old 04-15-2018, 08:19 PM   #25
Deb & Bill
Two Bedroom

I would get a scooter. They are really not that hard to manage. They usually have two speeds, rabbit and turtle. Just keep it on turtle until you think you can manage a faster speed. At turtle speed you are usually moving more slowly than walking.