home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-15-2019, 08:23 AM   #11
3dadknight
One Bedroom

I have had reservations crossing UYs a couple of times. I have a Sept UY and have had a few Labor Day weekend trips that began in August. I can confirm that you cannot book the whole trip online as a single reservation. You can make two separate online reservations and call MS later to ďmergeĒ them. Once they are merged you will have a single reservation number and a single ADR window and a single FP window. The biggest pain is having to get online early on two separate days to book the room initially.
3dadknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:12 PM   #12
D&MourDVC
Studio

I have booked many reservations that cross my uy. As others have said you canít book online crossing your uy. Once you have your 1st night, then call member service and they can book across your uy and have only one reservation. I would not book two reservations and have ms combine them. Youíre taking a chance of not getting the second half of your reservation. The 1st of December is one of the most difficult times to get reservations.
D&MourDVC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:15 PM   #13
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&MourDVC View Post
I have booked many reservations that cross my uy. As others have said you canít book online crossing your uy. Once you have your 1st night, then call member service and they can book across your uy and have only one reservation. I would not book two reservations and have ms combine them. Youíre taking a chance of not getting the second half of your reservation. The 1st of December is one of the most difficult times to get reservations.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:30 PM   #14
snowrob
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&MourDVC View Post
Thank you - that was exactly what I was looking to see if I could do. Make it easy with one reservation and only having to get up once for that reservation. I know rooms go quick in early December.

snowrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:42 AM   #15
walnuts24
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Now you guys have thoroughly confused me. I have a contract in for ROFR at AKL with an August UY. I was under the impression that the way UY works is you get your points on the first of that month, for me it would be August 1, 2020. I would then have those points for 11 months in which I could book a reservation for any time 11 months ahead (at my home resort), or bank those points. For example, I get my 200 points on August 1, 2020. I want to go on a trip in November 2021. I use my 2020 points in January 2021 to book the reservation in November 2021. I then get more points in August 2021 that I can use for future reservations.

The way I am reading responses above, I need to use my points (i.e. actually go to the resort) within that UY. For example, if I am not staying between August 2020 and July 2021, the points are not good.

Which way is right?

'So I just read the UY sticky and it makes more sense. You can book your reservation within a future UY without having any points in your account. For example, if I pass ROFR in July 2019, and want to take a trip in November 2020, I use my August 2020 points for that vacation even though I technically do not 'get' the points until August of next year.'

Last edited by walnuts24; 05-16-2019 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Read UY Sticky
walnuts24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:47 AM   #16
FessParker1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnuts24 View Post
Now you guys have thoroughly confused me. I have a contract in for ROFR at AKL with an August UY. I was under the impression that the way UY works is you get your points on the first of that month, for me it would be August 1, 2020. I would then have those points for 11 months in which I could book a reservation for any time 11 months ahead (at my home resort), or bank those points. For example, I get my 200 points on August 1, 2020. I want to go on a trip in November 2021. I use my 2020 points in January 2021 to book the reservation in November 2021. I then get more points in August 2021 that I can use for future reservations.

The way I am reading responses above, I need to use my points (i.e. actually go to the resort) within that UY. For example, if I am not staying between August 2020 and July 2021, the points are not good.

Which way is right?
You need to use them by the July of 2021, if you want to use them for the Nov 2021 you would need to bank them. If you dont use them all for the November 2021 trip use them by July 2022 or there lost
FessParker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:04 PM   #17
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnuts24 View Post

Which way is right?

'So I just read the UY sticky and it makes more sense. You can book your reservation within a future UY without having any points in your account. For example, if I pass ROFR in July 2019, and want to take a trip in November 2020, I use my August 2020 points for that vacation even though I technically do not 'get' the points until August of next year.'
You actually "get" all the points in your contract once you buy. There's just an allotment each year. Because you can only book DVC resorts up to 11 months in advance your limited though to what points you can access for a reservation. You are allowed to use banked, current or borrowed points in a reservation. Points can only be banked once so only an opportunity to move it one UY ahead. Or a point can only be borrowed back one UY. Once a point is either banked or borrowed it stays in that UY and has to be used for a reservation in that UY or it will expire at the end of that UY.