home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-15-2019, 06:23 PM   #31
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quellman View Post
Since the nearest pool bar is seasonal and you had to make a run to the store, what did you pick up and most importantly, which milk did you return with?
2% milk seemed safest, so that's what they got. As for beer, the drinking age nephew pushed me to by some strawberry lemonade flavored Natural Light monstrosity - Naturdays. It was as vile as you might expect, but it did have the key thing I like in beer.... namely, beer.
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:57 PM   #32
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

TR - WOO HOO, WE MAKE IT TO A PARK

We get up and are headed out the door to make it to Epcot for rope drop. Assuming rope drop was at 11:30 that day (I didn't check.) As a side note, some of the adults actually had to do job work and it was nice to see the in-room wifi was good enough to run the conferencing software.

We get to the park, get some fastpasses from the Kiosk (not that fastpasses mean much at Epcot) and head over to the land. The line for Soarin' isn't so bad so we ride standby.

Small rant: Soarin' over California was my favorite WDW attraction and this new version just ain't the same. As with pretty much all the recent new rides, I feel it is technically awesome, but lacking heart and magic. Now one of two things is happening. Either the imagineers are giving us too much eers and not enough image. Or else I've become that cranky old man who can only view the parks through nostalgia glasses. It's been all downhill since they removed Mr Toad's Wild Ride /fistshake

After a ride on Living with the Land... where we learn about Disney's "innovative" farming techniques from 40 years ago... we are headed to the World Showcase for some food and drink.

Once Disney realized they could get people to pay $100 to enter a park where they proceed to pay $$$ for small bits of food and drink, you knew the food and wine concept would be expanded. Right now Flower and Garden feels a lot like Food and Wine used to. There are fewer food kitchens at F&G than at F&W, but it's still plenty. And there are a lot fewer "let's get obnoxiously drunk" groups. (Side note - ever notice people don't tend to get obnoxious drunk at pool bars.... just sayin') Much smaller crowds in general. Also note that there's a lot less wine offered.. more mixed drinks and beer. Lots and lots of beer choices. With the theme being "flower and garden" many of the choices had some sort of fruit flavor. The nephew pointed out that if you wanted fruit-flavored beer you could get a 6-pack of Naturdays for what they were charging per small serving. Which is not to say he didn't keep buying those expensive samples on his parent's credit card.

And this is where we have our true Disney circle-of-life moment. When we first started taking these kids to Epcot, how they would whine. All we are doing is eating and drinking and not going on any rides. Now even the youngest is happy to spend a day at Epcot mostly eating and drinking. Kids... they sure do grow up.

After much eating, drinking, shopping, garden visiting and even a ride or two, I'm exhausted from the sun and head back with my mom. If I'd known this was probably my last chance to see Illuminations I might have stuck around. That's what I get for not paying attention to WDW news. Then again, I have seen it once or twice and there are always youtube videos to watch.

Oh, and the best place to watch Illumations? The balcony in front of Tokyo dinning.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:47 PM   #33
melk
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoneous View Post

Small rant: Soarin' over California was my favorite WDW attraction and this new version just ain't the same. As with pretty much all the recent new rides, I feel it is technically awesome, but lacking heart and magic. Now one of two things is happening. Either the imagineers are giving us too much eers and not enough image. Or else I've become that cranky old man who can only view the parks through nostalgia glasses. It's been all downhill since they removed Mr Toad's Wild Ride /fistshake
I agree with you 100%. I miss the old Soarin’ and am holding out hope that maybe they’ll show it again sometime in the future. But knowing Disney, they won’t.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:27 PM   #34
capeokw56
Grand Villa

Quote:

Soarin' over California was one of my favorite rides also, but so is the new Soarin'. I really enjoy "soaring" over other places in the world that I probably will never see in person.
However... my small rant would be that with all the technology available Disney couldn't find a fix for the curvature at the top of the screen?? Smh...
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:52 AM   #35
JudieHopps
Two Bedroom

Enjoying your report!
Quality “bonding” time with family.... priceless!

Keep it coming!
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:08 AM   #36
twingirls
Two Bedroom

Quote:

It's been all downhill since they removed Mr Toad's Wild Ride /fistshake[/i]
My Dad says lets ride Mr. Toad's Wild Ride every time we bring my parents. Knowing full well its not there anymore... lol I miss it too and wish my kids could have tried it once.
twingirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:04 PM   #37
Disnydad
Two Bedroom

Thumbs up

I'd love to meet up with you Sal and do a pool bar tour one day.

Too many WDW visits to count now that I live nearby. 1 DL trip & 5 Disney Cruises.
Disnydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #38
The.disney.couple
Two Bedroom

Quote:
TR - WOO HOO, WE MAKE IT TO A PARK

Small rant: Soarin' over California was my favorite WDW attraction and this new version just ain't the same.
I'm from the west coast and feel the same way. I loved Soaring over California at California Adventure and it was one of our favorites. Soaring over the world is great but had I never rode Soaring over California I might feel not so disappointed in something that is supposed to be better. The transitions on world seem so forced and very unnatural to me. I felt the California transitions were much smoother and more natural/realistic.

I wish they would just change the name to "Soarin" and have multiple places you could soar over and have it be a random experience everyone time, or change monthly or weekly if it was to hard to continuously change the ride/ motions (The visual should be pretty easy) I know it was very expensive to film around the world because of permits and special permissions and such but there are a lot of places they could do in the US alone, Hawaii, Alaska, Colorodo, Grand Canyon, etc.

Check out my disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/the.disney.couple/?hl=en
The.disney.couple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:31 PM   #39
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

TR - FINAL DAY, DURING WHICH WE SHOP

Another slow morning where everybody drags themselves up, fixes breakfast for themselves, and - eventually - we all are ready to head out. I could get used to this sort of vacation, but it doesn't feel very Disney-like. Next trip should cure that as Star Wars Land will be open and I'll be pushing to be at the parks pre-rope drop.

Off to DTD which, during the day is darn nice. With retail shopping dying all over America, Disney seems to have found a formula that works. We get lunch at a nice burger place with outdoor seating and it's a really good time. Both the burgers and adult milkshakes looked good, but one of each would have been too much. The sensible thing is to get just a bourbon milkshake, which comes with a strip of bacon for a swizzle stick. Gotta make sure a meal contains complete proteins.

As for the shopping, I'd highly encourage folks to check out Uni Qlo. I'm normally a big fan of their stuff, but the real attractions here are their Disney and Star Wars collections. Lots of t-shirts and basics with graphic prints that are different from the homogenized stuff Disney sells.

And then we are off for - more shopping. This time to the outlet stores on Vineland. Outlet shopping is always hit and miss with me. Sometimes you get the good stuff at nice prices. Other times all you see is stuff that was designed for the outlet stores in the first place and was never intended to be sold retail. Plus the clearance junk and is unsold and on clearance for good reason. Today's a good day and everybody finds many things to buy.

Now in ye olden days, I would research the heck out of each Disney trip. There was always "the notebook" filled with pages of info, plans, Disney dining credit tracking sheets, etc. This trip, nothing. While that can be much more relaxed and spontaneous, there are downsides. We didn't go to the Disney Warehouse store because none of us knew it existed. I've been reading about it afterward, and it sounds like they often have good stuff.

Anyway, night comes and we start to drift apart. Some of the gang has to head home. Others are going to a club at Universal City Walk. And the rest of us are going to spend our last night at Disney sitting around the dining table in our villa eating to-go food from Perkins.

Here's a Disney tip for you that you won't get elsewhere. Never, ever suggest to a senior citizen that Perkins is one of the choices for where to eat. They will not understand that you were 100% joking. People who have the Over-55 Perkins menu memorized do not joke about such things. One thing I do like about SSR (and Kidani) is the relative easy of hopping in your car and popping off campus for food. And unless you mention Perkins, you can usually get something good.

The next morning we pack up and leave. I know we bitch about changes to DVC for the worse, but checkout is so much easier these days. Anyone remember when we had to actually go and check out?

Well, that's about it. Good to see much of the gang here at Mouseowners and doing well. Until that next trip and Star Wars Land....
Old 05-17-2019, 04:42 PM   #40
SnowWhite4
Grand Villa

Thanks, Sal. Loved the report!