home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-06-2018, 11:38 PM   #1
MichiganGood
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Getting a transfer of points for a 3BR Grand Villa. When/How?

Hello Everyone,

I'm in need of some advice for an upcoming extended family trip. Here are my contract stats:

Home Resort: Copper Creek
Use year: Aug
Points available: 2018-150, 2019-150
Trip time: January 2020

I have been talking about a WDW vacation with my extended family for a while now. The plan right now is to go in January of 2020 with a total party of 6 adults and 4 kids, staying 7 nights. My wife and I recently bought our first DVC contract and are super excited to use it. My extended family members do not own DVC contracts. The problem is, the DVC resorts are out of the price range for my sister's family (completely understandable). To avoid staying in different hotels I started crunching some numbers and figured out that we could bank, spend, and borrow our DVC points and get a 3BR grand villa for us all to stay in!
This will probably be a once in a lifetime trip for my sister's family so I don't mind banking and borrowing for it. At first, I was looking at OKW since that's the cheapest. Upon further digging, I read that the 3BR's are hard to get at the 7-month mark due to the limited number of rooms. Then I looked at the next cheapest; Saratoga Springs. At 464 points for 1 week, I could book with a small one-time purchase of points through Disney. Cool. but THEN I realized if I was going to go over my contract points-wise, I might as well go bigger with transfer purchase of points and get a 3BR savanna view and Animal Kingdom Lodge. My family has agreed to cover the extra cost so it looks like we are good to go on that.

Now It's question time.

1. Would it be too much of a gamble to buy extra points for a 3BR when I'm going to be looking for a room at the 7-month mark?

2. Would it be a better idea to get the extra points as AKL points and reserve a portion of our stay at the 11-month mark and try to get the rest of the days at the 7-month mark?

3. The reason I want a transfer over a rental is due to the ease of the points being on one account and I am not renting the entire stay so I wanted to avoid paying more. Does this sound right?

4. Are there any DVC rental/transfer gurus out there that have any better ideas or tips that can help me out? I really want to make this work but am inexperienced. We have only done one 2-night stay on our DVC contract so we are SUPER new to this! Thank you!
MichiganGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:52 AM   #2
Jaakers87
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGood View Post
1. Would it be too much of a gamble to buy extra points for a 3BR when I'm going to be looking for a room at the 7-month mark?
Grand Villas - especially at AKL, can be very difficult to get. Also, periods where points are cheaper are more difficult to book for DVC, even if overall WDW crowd levels are down. That means November/December/January can actually be harder to book DVC than regular WDW hotel rooms, especially GV. Folks that are booking these rooms are trying to maximize their points just like you are. Short answer is for a trip like this that you want to guarantee your room - you really want to get that room booked inside the 11 month window if possible.

Quote:
2. Would it be a better idea to get the extra points as AKL points and reserve a portion of our stay at the 11-month mark and try to get the rest of the days at the 7-month mark?
I personally think you should either transfer in the full amount of points for the specific resort that you want, OR rent the points from a broker. You are really going to want to get this booked inside the 11 month window if at all possible.

Quote:
3. The reason I want a transfer over a rental is due to the ease of the points being on one account and I am not renting the entire stay so I wanted to avoid paying more. Does this sound right?
I actually think renting in this situation might make sense for you. Consider what would happen if for some reason you needed to cancel this reservation. This is a lot of points to put on the line, and a lot of folks that could end up having some sort of issue. If you rent the reservation from a broker, you can purchase travel insurance and be completely protected against unforseen problems. If you transfer points in and then cancel, you are risking points going into holding or losing them completely if you are outside the banking window when you cancel.
Jaakers87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:52 AM   #3
MelMass

Default Options

You could always rent 3 studios.
If your family is paying for the extra points needed, can they just rent their own reservation (in studios)?
My family is somewhat unpredictable. Making plans, especially 1.5 years in advance, can get tricky.
Like a previous poster stated, that's a LOT of points. Things happen. Plans change. Depending on the family members, some may think, "oh well, it's family, we can cancel last minute". And you would be stuck.
Everyone doesn't HAVE TO stay at the same resort or the same room.
MelMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:25 AM   #4
Carol
Add-on Aficionado

If you are planning on others helping to cover the cost, my most important advice is to get the money up front and make sure they know it is nonrefundable. There are just too many sad stories of family members flaking out at the last minute to take a chance, IMO (unless you can cover the entire cost yourself without a lot of heartache).

Ideally, I'd want a transfer of enough AKV points to book during the 11 month window. Failing that, I'd rent in the 11 month window. In either case, I'd then rent out my CCV points to help cover the cost.

The AKV GVs are really nice. Good luck!
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:32 AM   #5
cvjw
Grand Villa

Agree with others. I would rent out all my ccv points right now and have the cash in hand to book the akv grand villa at the 11 month mark thru a rental agency.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:15 AM   #6
MichiganGood

Thank you all for the advice. I think that renting out all of my points and then renting all of the points for the 3BR AKL would be a bit too much work/money to pull off. I think perhaps I'll just tell my extended family that they could get rent points for a studio in Copper Creek together or something.

Am I able to rent multiple rooms for the same dates with DVC? I'm trying to help them out any way I can. Thanks again!
MichiganGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:12 AM   #7
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Thank you all for the advice. I think that renting out all of my points and then renting all of the points for the 3BR AKL would be a bit too much work/money to pull off. I think perhaps I'll just tell my extended family that they could get rent points for a studio in Copper Creek together or something.

Am I able to rent multiple rooms for the same dates with DVC? I'm trying to help them out any way I can. Thanks again!
Yes you can reserve multiple rooms at any resort, just make sure you have different name as a lead member on each reservation.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:52 AM   #8
Miki

Iíve done extended family trips several times. Iíve done both point transfers (worked with disney65, he was awesome!) into my membership and Iíve done rental points through a broker.
I figured out the total amount of points I needed, and then divided by ďfamily unitĒ as to how much each would contribute. For us, we used our points as our contribution and they paid for the rental or transfer.
One time I figured out how many people total were going and placed a dollar/ point value to each person.
Iím lucky in that the people who were coming are well off and didnít blink an eye when I told them how much they needed to send me.
Iíve done a GV at SSR within 7 months in mid January. Iíve done 2 2 bedrooms at OKW in mid January and Iíve done 3 studios at AKL in mid January, and Iíve done a 2 BR and a studio at BRV, I think our favorite was the OKW trip. I called MS and had them link the 2 reservations together as ďtraveling togetherĒ. They were wonderful in giving us the 2 BRs right next to each other on the top floor. We had so much room! One 2 BR was the morning breakfast villa and the other was the afternoon and evening cocktail villa and sometimes dinner.
My advice is that family likes a space to gather and talk and drink, at least mine does. So while everyone loved AKL with 3 studios we didnít have that hang out space. We ended up taking over a side room off the lobby, Sunset something maybe?,in the evening to play cards and brought our bottles of wine there. No one seemed to care.
I told them all upfront the cost and told them it was unrefundable.

Home resorts: BLT, BWV, and VWL
Miki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:44 AM   #9
disneycrazy
Add-on Aficionado

Grand villa stays are the bomb! We stayed at SSR a couple years ago with the kids and their friends. I say, donít do studios, just book at SSR in a GV. It is fabulous and it is so much fun to have everyone together. It really is quite the treat. We are currently saving points to book a GV for next year so the kids can take friends. We are pretty stoked about it.

Your guests will be blown away.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:05 AM   #10
Sephorin
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
If you are planning on others helping to cover the cost, my most important advice is to get the money up front and make sure they know it is nonrefundable.
I agree 100% with this. Make sure they have a bit of skin in the game before you get too far.
Sephorin is offline   Reply With Quote