home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-15-2019, 09:22 PM   #121
Sir Aaron
Grand Villa

I wonder what we complained about in 2012....

I think it was concern over the bottom falling out of the resale market and those of us bought direct were stupid.

I don't like the costs but I also don't like insane crowds. And WDW will be FAR better in 5 years than it was in 2012. Better rides, better lands, better shows. And more of them.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:22 PM   #122
DBridge
One Bedroom

Wow been a few days since i checked back in.
Didnt mean to open Pandoras box. Thanks for all the responses
DBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:25 PM   #123
bubster
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBridge View Post
Wow been a few days since i checked back in.
Didnt mean to open Pandoras box. Thanks for all the responses
No worries. It was a great question.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:29 PM   #124
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Honestly at current pricing I would not recommend DVC to anyone and that includes resale.

You also have to think about the dues. When I had more points at one point I looked at my dues and figured out I could spend 10 nights or so at the Swan/Dolphin for what I was giving Disney annually if I planned my visits right. While I like the kitchen and space as a person who generally goes alone or with one other person it's not a deal breaker.
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:33 PM   #125
DBridge
One Bedroom

I think one thing Disney has unintentionally, or more likely intentionally, done by increasing prices regularly has been to create a sense of urgency for potential buyers.

I think potential buyers know it's only going to get even more expensive, so they better jump on this now.

I'm incredibly interested to see how it plays out in the coming years to see if there is a price ceiling and what that ceiling could possibly be.
DBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:15 PM   #126
Disney Dad ADL
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolA View Post
Honestly at current pricing I would not recommend DVC to anyone and that includes resale.

You also have to think about the dues. When I had more points at one point I looked at my dues and figured out I could spend 10 nights or so at the Swan/Dolphin for what I was giving Disney annually if I planned my visits right. While I like the kitchen and space as a person who generally goes alone or with one other person it's not a deal breaker.
Do you think this has significantly changed from 10 years ago? Like 10 years ago, do you think you would have only be able to stay say 5 nights and Swan/Dolphin for the price of your annual dues? I honestly don't know, I don't actually know the history of cash prices at Swan/Dolphin or any of the proper Disney resorts, but it would be interesting to know. I suppose, though, if the Swan was cheap enough relative to the annual dues, that would be an expected outcome if they both increased at a similar % per year.

The dues have increased for sure, but the hotel prices have as well. My guess is that they increased by a similar rate, though again completely a guess.

Looking at old dues, BWV dues in 2001 were $3.82 pp, and 2019 is $7.17 per point. This is roughly equivalent to an increased in MFs of 5.32% per year. If you look at just the past 5 years, 2009 was $5.21 pp and 2019 is $7.17 pp, which is roughly 3.24% per year. I think the math is correct, though someone can correct me if I'm wrong, $7.17 = 5.21(1+r)^10 .

Certainly it's not insignificant, and higher than inflation over the past 10 years, but not by an insane amount, and probably less than "Disney inflation", lol. I think more recently DVC has been hit pretty hard by property tax increases, and maybe bigger increases are coming due to the increase in minimum wage.
Disney Dad ADL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #127
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Toy Story Land
Star Wars: Galaxies Edge
Severn Dwarves Mine Train
Re-imagined Test Track
Guardians of the Galaxy Coaster (whatever one thinks of the movie aside, this will be the largest indoor coaster in the country or the East (forgot which))
Ratatouille
Flights of Passage and the whole of Pandora
More bars

Sorry, gonna have to disagree on the second part even if the first part is certainly true.

Cheers.
Pandora is the only one I will give you. Every other park has the same number or has reduced the number of attractions. Even with SW:GE, I don't think DS is gaining a single attraction. And with Epcot, when those two open, others are going down - some for a significant period of time.

The parks have generally been stale since Everest opened in 2006, and AK is the only one that has truly expanded its offerings. Epcot and DHS have huge identity crises and, especially for Epcot, that may not change with the make-over.

Not to mention the huge cuts in streetmosphere that show no signs of coming back . . .

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #128
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBridge View Post
What are you telling people these days?
As DVC members, I'm sure we all get the questions repeatedly from family, friends, colleagues - "Should I buy in to DVC? Where, how much, direct/resale, etc?"

Curious from the experts here what you are telling people. Because for the first time in a long time, I honestly have no idea what to say.
I don't think my recommendation has changed much. I remain, "If you require the location, DVC might be the only option. But if not, then there are many excellent timeshare brands serving nearby areas; one of these might be a stronger choice."

The longer backstory:
We purchased DVC for location. I needed a timeshare unit (read: 1BR unit with full kitchen, in-room laundry) within walking distance of the Dolphin/Swan/YC Conference Centers. For me, DVC was the only choice but I figure most people don't have that particular requirement.

DVC has never been our best or favorite timeshare. We purchased a different "club" that fits our needs better with respect to location variety, unit configurations, costs, and use patterns/flexibility.

I encourage those who ask to consider spending at least 6 months evaluating timeshares, in general, before making any purchase.
bwvBound is online now   Reply With Quote