home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-02-2019, 07:18 PM   #1
wdw1972
Grand Villa

Default Sue's 3 Generation May Weekend @ BWV

Who/When/Where:

Who: Sue (60), DVC Member
Chris (32), Son
Ari (2.75), Grandson
Dates: May 3 – 6, 2019
Resort: Disney’s Boardwalk Villas Resort (BWV)
Experience: Very Experienced – 27th stay at BWV

INTRODUCTION:
This was initially booked as a solo trip – only 3 nights since I’m cruising more than normal this year. Then, I invited daughter-in-law Amanda and grandson Ari to join me, since we travel well together. That was all set, until she had a work thing in Texas this weekend. So, since Ari has a haircut appointment in the Magic Kingdom during this trip, Chris will come in Amanda’s place. Hopefully he won’t snore – although there’s always the balcony (or his car in the parking lot, lol).

Since the intent was a solo trip, I only have a studio. I was hoping the weather would still be nice in early May, but it looks to be almost 90 each day – with 40-60% chance of rain. It seems summer comes earlier each year, and I hate that part of living in Florida! Maybe I’ll have better luck when I’m back in a couple of weeks!

The Flower & Garden Festival is still going on, and that’s the main draw – along with the concerts that are part of the festival. This weekend we have Peter Noone from Herman’s Hermits on Fri/Sat and a guy from the Eagles on Sunday. I’ve seen Noone before and enjoyed him, so I look forward to seeing both acts this trip. We don’t have any dining reservations, as this is a pretty casual trip. For breakfast I plan to get the delicious Oooey Gooey Sandwich from the Boardwalk Bakery, which will last me 2 days. I’m bringing some eggs for Chris & Ari, and most likely bacon or sausage too. We’ll enjoy some food from the Flower & Garden Festival kiosks, and whatever else we feel like doing on a whim.

One new factor is Chris bought a Tesla car, which is all electric (no gas). The big plus is no more fuel & maintenance (oil changes, etc) expense. The downside is it has to get plugged in to recharge, and the closest charging station is in the Epcot parking lot. When he or Amanda does a day trip to Disney, it’s easy for them to park at a park and let the car charge all day while they’re having fun, then they drive home (and recharge at home). This multi-day trip will be a bit more challenging. The trip to Hilton Head in a few weeks will be even more challenging, as they can’t get from their home to Hilton Head on a single charge – it might take 2 stops for charging, but we’ll see.

The plans so far are:
Friday 5/3: Drive to WDW, Epcot
Saturday 5/4: Magic Kingdom, Epcot
Sunday 5/5: Pool, Hollywood Studios
Monday 5/6: Drive to Gainesville

wdw1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:54 PM   #2
debabe
One Bedroom

Cannot wait to hear more. Solo to trio...sounds like fun!

I will be waiting to hear about your Friday at Epcot!

debabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:35 PM   #3
cpnkirk
Two Bedroom

I always enjoy reading your trip reports.

I'll be flying down tomorrow night for a couple of days trip and staying at the Swan. Maybe we'll see you there. Look for 2 older guys, one in a red Roll Tide shirt with Mickey in the football gear

Hope you have fun!
Nov 2017 BWV/BRV/AKV
Dec 2016, POR
March 2014, off site

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:43 PM   #4
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Enjoy!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:28 AM   #5
ajc
Grand Villa

Following...
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:03 AM   #6
DVCjj
Grand Villa

Yay....Sue's back! I'm laughing because have you even unpacked from the great HAL cruise?
DVCjj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw1972 View Post
One new factor is Chris bought a Tesla car, which is all electric (no gas). The big plus is no more fuel & maintenance (oil changes, etc) expense. The downside is it has to get plugged in to recharge, and the closest charging station is in the Epcot parking lot.

I have never looked into where and how many car charging stations WDW, but not having any at the resorts is very surprising to me.

I did a quick search, since I just don't know.....

Walt Disney World

The Magic Kingdom has five ChargePoint stations in its Zurg parking lot, while Epcot has four spaces in Journey. At Animal Kingdom, EV drives can charge in one of four spaces in the medical parking lot. Disney's Hollywood Studios currently does not offer any EV charging stations, but a Disney spokesperson said that EV charging may be offered in the future as Disney completes the "reimagining" of the DHS parking areas.
You also can find six charging stations at Disney Springs, with three each on the fifth floors of the Orange and Lime parking garages. For all of these stations, charging rates apply in addition to normal parking fees.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:30 PM   #8
It's Me
Grand Villa

Woo Hoo, a trip report from Sue I always enjoy following along.

Yikes, sorry to hear it's so hot in FL aready. Though I would take that over what we have here in NJ (cold and wet ) I am praying for those
90º days LOL.

It's Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #9
It's Me
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
I have never looked into where and how many car charging stations WDW, but not having any at the resorts is very surprising to me.

I did a quick search, since I just don't know.....

Walt Disney World

The Magic Kingdom has five ChargePoint stations in its Zurg parking lot, while Epcot has four spaces in Journey. At Animal Kingdom, EV drives can charge in one of four spaces in the medical parking lot. Disney's Hollywood Studios currently does not offer any EV charging stations, but a Disney spokesperson said that EV charging may be offered in the future as Disney completes the "reimagining" of the DHS parking areas.
You also can find six charging stations at Disney Springs, with three each on the fifth floors of the Orange and Lime parking garages. For all of these stations, charging rates apply in addition to normal parking fees.
Considering how Disney tries to be environmentally ahead of the game, I am surprised to see so few charging stations across their property, especially with none at HS or any of the resorts. Six total at DS doesn't seem like much either.
The local Outlet mall near me has at least 8, and doesn't get nearly the number of guests DS gets.

It's Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:50 PM   #10
Lolaura84
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Me View Post
Considering how Disney tries to be environmentally ahead of the game, I am surprised to see so few charging stations across their property, especially with none at HS or any of the resorts. Six total at DS doesn't seem like much either.
The local Outlet mall near me has at least 8, and doesn't get nearly the number of guests DS gets.
I took Uber/Lyft a few times to Epcot in February when I was staying at an offsite resort for my husband's conference. The spots at Epcot are right where you get dropped off and picked up for rideshares, and they were almost always empty. I imagine they would certainly add more spaces if demand dictated, but my anecdotal evidence would show that demand doesn't dictate today. A few years from now, could be a different story.
Lolaura84 is online now   Reply With Quote