home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Wining & Dining
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-15-2019, 10:52 PM   #11
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

No changes for us. At least not due to cost. Might stay away at Spring break even due to Galaxy edge.

We have been cutting back on Disney food due to quality, not cost. Some years we buy stuff, others we don't. Sometimes we book special events and sometimes we don't. Just whatever we feel like that time.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:53 PM   #12
pdude81
Grand Villa

Not changing much, really. The increases are tough in some cases but I'm not noticing the prices going up all that much faster than everything else I buy. My expectation is that I'm being ripped off most of the time and it's just about where I get the best bang for my buck. We have cut back on table service meals but that has to do more with my son not wanting to sit still for an hour than the prices.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:33 AM   #13
Crafty
Grand Villa

I thought about this, and realized that we have been cutting back for some time. While the rising costs of food and tickets are an issue, it is not the rising costs that have been the real cause.

We have pretty much stopped getting ADRs. I dont like the idea of paying a penalty if something comes up, like illness. Also, while some of the food has been good, some hasn't been good. We now eat primarily in DS. We like the Boathouse and Wolfgang Puck Express, in particular.

We currently have gold APs so that my daughter can see SWGE. I am not planning on renewing them next year. The parks are not so much fun for us, anymore. I think that we will get tickets to an upcharge event or buy single day tickets. I wish that I could buy the non-expiring tickets. They would meet our needs better than any current options.

The big worry that we have is the maintenance fees. Being retired, massive increases will be difficult for us. We have talked about selling a contract or two or renting them out to cover some fees. If we sell them, we will try for other vacation destinations.

We were planning a couple of days in DL, but had to abandon that trip because of ticket prices. They were just too much on top of the APs.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:52 AM   #14
melk
Grand Villa

The past couple of trips we have cut way down on sit down restaurants, eating out maybe once or twice. Due to the ticket prices we probably wont go in 2020. Well either bank our points for the year or possibly go back to HH.

Other option may be Universal for us. They currently have a deal to buy a 2 day ticket, get 3 days free.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:40 AM   #15
Rocket22
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default follow up

We are still doing Sci Fi, Be our guest, and Garden Grill so not scrimping completely.

Our Annual might be every 18 months and not so much due to cost, but next stop would be 2021.
Rocket22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:45 AM   #16
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Breakfast out is now a treat instead of the norm.

If Gold Passes are truly $750, we may just go back to one trip a year, or else do an AP every 18 months with a couple of trips in the 12 month AP window of that 18 months.

We don't plan a trip worth of even an AP renewal for the 12 months after our AP expires next year, so I"m really not sure what to do with future trip plannings and ticket costs. I doubt I will ever pay $1000 to see Disney Parks for a year so our park days may start to reduce when APs his that level.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:54 AM   #17
playtime123

We are spending less park days, more groceries delivered, some meals off site (hard to endure table service at $50+ per person with tables so close you cant hear to talk to each other as well as favorites hard to reserve - One less meal onsite covers the cost to rent a car.... easy decision). Also, were going to universal on our next trip for some of the days.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:58 AM   #18
jnoel
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post

We have been cutting back on Disney food due to quality, not cost.
I'm curious if you are referring to Table Service or Quick Service quality. We pretty much exclusively eat at table service restaurants and believe there has been a dramatic increase in quality options, in particular at Disney Springs.

Last edited by jnoel; 07-16-2019 at 09:36 AM.
jnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:02 AM   #19
PHILSFAN77

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznosredna View Post
We are outright skipping WDW (Aulani and RCL this year; Costa Rica and USO next year; no real desire to go to WDW in 2021 based on crowds and construction). Renting points or using them offsite.

Last year at WDW, we cut eating out down to one primary meal and eliminated tours.

Costa Rica was one of my favorite trips i've ever taken...I'd recommend to anyone.
PHILSFAN77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:07 AM   #20
reblzmom
Grand Villa

No changes for us. Didn't renew our AP this year but that was more timing of next visit than anything. We have never booked character dining or buffets and we don't book an ADR for every day anyway. We have shared more, but again out of preference for less volume of food than for price. We eat out a couple of times a week at home and of course buy groceries. So the incremental cost of food isn't a big deal on our trips.