home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-14-2019, 08:07 AM   #1
PrincipalTinker
Studio

Default DVC port check in for DCL

I received an email yesterday that said as a DVC member I can check in at the port with Castaway Club members. Has anyone had experience with this recently? This is my first DCL experience. This should save me time?
PrincipalTinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:08 AM   #2
disneyteach
Grand Villa

I don't know...but maybe that is why when I went to check-in they put me in line with the Castaway Club. I was really confused, as my parents waited for us to check-in and then next thing I knew, we were whisked into the Castaway Club line. Maybe that is why!
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #3
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincipalTinker View Post
I received an email yesterday that said as a DVC member I can check in at the port with Castaway Club members. Has anyone had experience with this recently? This is my first DCL experience. This should save me time?
It will get you on the ship somewhat more quickly, if that counts as saving time.

You should know that everyone with a previous DCL cruise belongs to Castaway Club, so that likely includes the majority of cruisers. After checking in you will be given a boarding group number, and will need to wait until that number is called. Boarding generally goes reasonably quickly.

Once on board you can go to lunch immediately if you wish. (Why not?) There is a buffet on the top deck, but there is also an inside menu lunch at the back (stern) of the ship which I prefer.

ETA: You pretty much have to go to lunch as your stateroom is generally not ready for a couple hours after boarding begins. They will announce when staterooms are ready. Until they are the stateroom decks are off limits.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)

Last edited by erikthewise; 07-14-2019 at 09:36 AM.
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:52 PM   #4
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Look at the lines. If Castway Club line is longer, it may be faster to use the standard line. I've done that a couple of time and gotten through more quickly.

However, your boarding group is assigned based on your Port Arrival Time, so neither line should have an impact on when you can actually board the ship.

The only difference is how long you are in line to to get you KTTW card.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:06 PM   #5
PrincipalTinker
Studio

My cruise is next week. Today, I received a phone call from the onboard DVC rep. Do they always do this? They told me to see them before I board for a gift and invite to the reception. I knew about the reception, I just didnít know they called before the cruise?
Old 08-01-2019, 08:20 PM   #6
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincipalTinker View Post
My cruise is next week. Today, I received a phone call from the onboard DVC rep. Do they always do this? They told me to see them before I board for a gift and invite to the reception. I knew about the reception, I just didnít know they called before the cruise?

Pretty sure I got called last time around but not my other cruises. Just a friendly hello, no big deal.

Bon Voyage!
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:35 PM   #7
PrincipalTinker
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Pretty sure I got called last time around but not my other cruises. Just a friendly hello, no big deal.

Bon Voyage!
Thanks, I just thought it was funny. It is the first time I have ever been called by DVC.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:43 AM   #8
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I don't remember being called before a cruise. The know you are DVC so you are welcome to the DVC even which is on boarding day in most cases. I believe there's usually an invite in our stateroom, too. We just showed up and our name was on a list or they scanned our key card or something like that.

It was fun.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:44 AM   #9
Nickys
Grand Villa

How did I miss this?

Which cruise? Iíll be pestering you with questions, by the way.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:55 AM   #10
bakerworld
Grand Villa

About twice a year for the past few years we received calls before DVC WDW vacations and with the last cruise. Nice feature although we've never had to use either contact.