home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-05-2019, 01:33 PM   #11
kzrooster
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
75 75
This
Put one child on each contract. Each child then has direct purchase benefits.
kzrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:40 PM   #12
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzrooster View Post
This
Put one child on each contract. Each child then has direct purchase benefits.
Can't add them to these since my other contracts are just me and DW.

I'm actually going to be moving all of our contracts into a family trust in the next month or so, so hopefully this won't be an issue for them even after they've grown and left the house.
mustinjourney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:45 PM   #13
Carol
Add-on Aficionado

I think many over value buying with thought of leaving contracts to children, especially if they are younger. How do you know they will be able to afford them or even want them? Or the hassle of selling? Will they inherit before they are ready to make a commitment to use a good share of their precious vacation time to Disney?

Buy for yourselves and what you think you will use. Kids have to deal with many needs before they are in a position to consider wants.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:55 PM   #14
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
I think many over value buying with thought of leaving contracts to children, especially if they are younger. How do you know they will be able to afford them or even want them? Or the hassle of selling? Will they inherit before they are ready to make a commitment to use a good share of their precious vacation time to Disney?

Buy for yourselves and what you think you will use. Kids have to deal with many needs before they are in a position to consider wants.
Agreed on all accounts.

That's why I'm not necessarily worried about splitting into two even contracts.

I have decided to go with 100/50 so that if I downsize, I will have 100 points instead of just 75. :-)

Also -- points for studio are 15 points for cheapest night, so if I only had 75 total, I'd have no wiggle room if they do a point reallocation. At least with 100, I would have some more flexibility in my stays.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts! I appreciate getting everyone's perspectives!
mustinjourney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #15
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

I think this is very true for people with kids. I think the OPs plan to put the Deeds in the Trust is the way to go.

I'm in the camp of if my kids want the direct benefits of being a DVC owner they can buy their own DVC contract. If I want to let them use my points, that can be my gift to give or not give, but I don't think adding your kids to your deed is a great idea. I know others do it, and it works for them, I'm just against this idea personally.

Where I'm Going 2019:

Friday, 01/18/19 - Monday, 01/21/19 - Offsite (Hyatt Regency Orange County)
Friday, 02/08/19 - Sunday, 02/10/19 - VGC
Sunday, 06/30/19 - Friday, 07/12/19 - HHI
Friday, 08/30/19 - Monday, 09/02/2019 - VGC
Friday, 09/27/19 - Tuesday, 10/01/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/11/19 - Monday, 10/14/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/25/19 - Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - VGF
Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - Monday, 11/04/2019 - BWV (Running 2nd 10K w/BFF - 11/02/19)
Monday, 11/04/2019 - Saturday, 11/09/2019 - BWV
Friday, 12/20/19 - Tuesday, 12/24/2019 - VGC

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:39 PM   #16
CathyS
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

We split ours unevenly too. Options are good.
CathyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:55 PM   #17
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

You are potentially leaving your child a liability not an asset. DVC comes with costs and your children may not want to or be able to assume those costs!
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:22 PM   #18
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolA View Post
You are potentially leaving your child a liability not an asset. DVC comes with costs and your children may not want to or be able to assume those costs!

I have 12 DVC contracts. Not one has my kids name on them. When the day comes that I no longer want or when I & Robin die, they can decide if they want to keep or sell.