home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
lcras
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Using RedWeek

Has any DVC member used RedWeek to rent a confirmed reservation? And if you did how long did it take and was it worth the expense to use them.
Thanks, any feedback would be appreciate.

Home Resorts: AKV, BLT, BWV, VGF
lcras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:18 PM   #2
Commish
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcras View Post
Has any DVC member used RedWeek to rent a confirmed reservation? And if you did how long did it take and was it worth the expense to use them.
Thanks, any feedback would be appreciate.

Yes I have, and IMO RedWeek is absolutely worth it because you get a bigger pool of interested parties and higher average rental rates (from experience)

I do not think you need to do "Verified Rental" however. Redweek rentals are valid for 6 months, you can also adjust the price based on what your "competitors" are pricing - The listed price is price per night not points

As an example current Poly Standard studio for October is listed at $499 per night - approximately $26.50 pp (a bit aggressive in my view - but still cheaper than Disney Rack Rate) If you had a similar rental could list at a more reasonable rate and leverage against the higher listing

What I have noticed is on MO renters might have expected 50% off DIS rates - that has probably moved down to 40% off - on Redweek certain owners are targeting 20%-35% off

How long does it take? I would post at 5 months and expect it gone before 2 months - many factors here but worth the $29 listing fee (my last listing took 32 days - executed at 2.5 months)

Good Luck

Last edited by Commish; 05-14-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:31 PM   #3
lcras

Thank you, this is really great information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commish View Post
Yes I have, and IMO RedWeek is absolutely worth it because you get a bigger pool of interested parties and higher average rental rates (from experience)

I do not think you need to do "Verified Rental" however. Redweek rentals are valid for 6 months, you can also adjust the price based on what your "competitors" are pricing - The listed price is price per night not points

As an example current Poly Standard studio for October is listed at $499 per night - approximately $26.50 pp (a bit aggressive in my view - but still cheaper than Disney Rack Rate) If you had a similar rental could list at a more reasonable rate and leverage against the higher listing

What I have noticed is on MO renters might have expected 50% off DIS rates - that has probably moved down to 40% off - on Redweek certain owners are targeting 25%-35% off

How long does it take? I would post at 5 months and expect it gone before 2 months - many factors here but worth the $29 listing fee

Good Luck

Last edited by lcras; 05-14-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #4
The.disney.couple
Two Bedroom

following

Check out my disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/the.disney.couple/?hl=en
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #5
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Add-on Aficionado

i have had decent luck with redweek until this year. some nice studio ressies in dec and jan advertised at $29 each with virtually no interest. may be too early. i guess i'll renew my membership to the tune of another $19 this month. my ads expire in 1-2 months. maybe i'll get some interest as we're closer. pretty sure i won't be running four ads again, maybe one.

must be a member to contact owner, so lookers have to pay $19/year.

i have had significantly better results this year on facebook...at excellent prices for my dec/jan studio reservations.

win some, lose some.

i am not using ebay anymore. they seem to have discontinued the classified ad option and the fees would just be too great to pay on a regular ad. says that classified ad still available, but form won't permit option.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Black Jack, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:46 PM   #6
Commish
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
i have had decent luck with redweek until this year. some nice studio ressies in dec and jan advertised at $29 each with virtually no interest. may be too early.
I looked back at my prior activity - generally 30-45 days after listing and between 5 months and 2.5 months in advance of reservation date
Old 05-14-2019, 07:24 PM   #7
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I looked back at my prior activity - generally 30-45 days after listing and between 5 months and 2.5 months in advance of reservation date
So, Redweekers really aren’t into the advanced planning?
Old 05-14-2019, 07:48 PM   #8
Commish
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
So, Redweekers really aren’t into the advanced planning?
There are many people who do not plan 6+ months out and fellow MO we aren’t “normal” people, an entire board of Disney aficionados. I recall commuting to NYC one day and a person on the bus thought they would plan Disney during Xmas because it wouldn’t be that crowded! Lol

I have been on both sides of RedWeek agreements and I would categorize it as follows:

1- Planning vacation and looking for Villas (many timeshares wouldn’t be on Hotels.com

2. People who have researched hotels, seeing the rack rates looking for a cheaper alternative

Not everyone is a planner! And if you wanted to rent a room what are your options 90 days out? Is a $400 Poly studio expensive when direct might be $575?

Tracking past rentals I could see listings effectively 20% less than direct - perhaps that it a mechanism to “make a deal” give a discount and still net north of $20pp

As “Famous” as Mouseowners.com is - Redweek has a wider reach - 2.6 million members according to the company

Last edited by Commish; 05-14-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:15 PM   #9
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Question

Quote:
There are many people who do not plan 6+ months out and fellow MO we aren’t “normal” people, an entire board of Disney aficionados. I recall commuting to NYC one day and a person on the bus thought they would plan Disney during Xmas because it wouldn’t be that crowded! Lol

I have been on both sides of RedWeek agreements and I would categorize it as follows:

1- Planning vacation and looking for Villas (many timeshares wouldn’t be on Hotels.com

2. People who have researched hotels, seeing the rack rates looking for a cheaper alternative

Not everyone is a planner! And if you wanted to rent a room what are your options 90 days out? Is a $400 Poly studio expensive when direct might be $575?

Tracking past rentals I could see listings effectively 20% less than direct - perhaps that it a mechanism to “make a deal” give a discount and still net north of $20pp

As “Famous” as Mouseowners.com is - Redweek has a wider reach - 2.6 million members according to the company
In my world, planning is just second nature. Hospitals are open for business 24/7. So early planning (and early submission of vacation requests) is a must. I have an interview in another department on Friday, and I can give them my vacation dates for at least the next 5 years. I can certainly do spur of the moment, but the majority of mine are planned in advance. I sometimes read the ads on the RTB for fun, so I get that everyone doesn’t plan ahead. But I’m still sometimes surprised that so many seem to wait til “the last minute ” to plan their vacations.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #10
lcras

They wait until the last minute, then want distress point pricing and there is nothing available, even SSR & OKW are getting harder to find at last minute. Due to the lack of availability at DVC, I find myself planning earlier than when we first bought back in 2008.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
. I sometimes read the ads on the RTB for fun, so I get that everyone doesn’t plan ahead. But I’m still sometimes surprised that so many seem to wait til “the last minute ” to plan their vacations.