home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #51
JES123
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
Very interesting, when you convert to point, can you go back and grab the same nights as regular reservation?
Yes. That's what I typically do when my week has more days that fall into January.
JES123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:19 PM   #52
ssconner
Studio

Agreed, what I liked was the flexibility. Honestly, I'll probably just use the points as general CCV points more often than not, but it will be so nice to have my early Dec week guaranteed to be booked for those years when we need it.
ssconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:37 PM   #53
cornbread4
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
This was mainly the similar point in your first post that made me reply. Point totals at the resorts are fixed - there will be no significant trending up. Or maybe that's not the trend you are talking about but it's the only one that would make your fixed week so much more valuable and it can't happen without reductions elsewhere and I don't see there being that great of a shift if any at all.
I know total points in a year can't change, but that they can shift around to match to changes in usage/availability: i.e. weekdays getting more expensive while weekends get cheaper. Can't they also shift between seasons: e.g. premier & magic vs Adventure & choice)? Or are the seasons locked? If seasons could change, I could see that there's potential savings locking in a very popular week like Christmas which would seem a good candidate for increasing point costs given the high demand. 10 years from now, a week at Christmas could cost more points than today. But if seasons are locked, then it likely wouldn't change much.
cornbread4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #54
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbread4 View Post
I know total points in a year can't change, but that they can shift around to match to changes in usage/availability: i.e. weekdays getting more expensive while weekends get cheaper. Can't they also shift between seasons: e.g. premier & magic vs Adventure & choice)? Or are the seasons locked? If seasons could change, I could see that there's potential savings locking in a very popular week like Christmas which would seem a good candidate for increasing point costs given the high demand. 10 years from now, a week at Christmas could cost more points than today. But if seasons are locked, then it likely wouldn't change much.
They can reallocate points between seasons.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:31 PM   #55
RodriguezDVC
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
We considered doing this before I realized that Christmas doesn't fall in the same calendar week every year... about half the time we'd miss Christmas day, so we just bought a regular contract.

I wish you could buy fixed days, not weeks... but now I'm just dreaming.
Christmas always falls on the 4th week of December. Keep in mind, it's Sunday to Sunday

RodriguezDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:24 PM   #56
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodriguezDVC View Post
Christmas always falls on the 4th week of December. Keep in mind, it's Sunday to Sunday
If they do it from the 1st to last sunday, then occassionally years do not match for christmas.

http://whatweekisit.org/calendar-2020.html

In this linked "53" week year, week 52 (starting 1 week later on Disney's rule) would not be on christmas.

Link is a little hard to read against Disney weeks since this calendar is based on the Jan 1, not the first Sunday.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:37 AM   #57
broganmc
Grand Villa

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by broganmc View Post
I doubt it though it would be more tempting to me personally. My dad would resist. He hates to commit to any particular schedule year after year.

But yeah it is tempting if I knew I could guarantee a Poly bungalow with a good view and roll-in shower for NYE week. That is one holiday I know I like to return to Disney year after year. I'm not interested in going up north to NYC, nor am I keen on NYE parties at home that make me have to deal with drunk drivers on the way home. And it's one time when I know everyone will have a few days off from school and work. I could always skip a year and use my points for stays elsewhere, or even cruises.

But then I'd look at the cost (around $211k) and think to myself for that price I could just buy a condo in Orlando and have use of it all year round. My family already owns a beach vacation condo which has both gained in value over the years, is a source of rental income, is available to us any time of the year and is a place we can hang a picture or otherwise make our own. The money spent on a fixed week at Disney begins to approach the money you'd have to spend to buy a condo somewhere. And you get far fewer "ownership" rights. I would not buy a fixed week for a studio. If I'm gonna pay extra for a fixed week, I absolutely insist on getting a kitchen and in-room laundry. So in the end, it would be a very poor use of my money.

Then there's the issue of resale. Those fixed week contracts will be a lot harder to resell, I think. That's little to no return on my investment.
Wow I forgot I even wrote this. My thinking still stands. Fixed weeks are not worth the money for me. I would much rather invest in a condo in Orlando and have a place available to me all year round.

Since I wrote this in 2015 several apartment complexes opened up near my favorite Marriott Resort next to SeaWorld. My dad and I debated it and if he didn't already have a beach condo in Maryland, we may very well have considered it. Things changed of course.

I am getting my wish of having a place to stay at Disney during New Year's though. That is through add-on BLT contracts. I'm getting a one bedroom with the view of the park. Turned out to be a great place to ring in the New Year. We fly down on the 28th and get you enjoy Epcot and Hollywood before dedicating the rest of our time to Magic Kingdom and the lagoon resorts. New Year's Eve from Bay Lake is a fabulous time. You can see fireworks all along the horizon. And you don't need to deal with crowds to enjoy it. When the Tron roller coaster opens up in 2021, the view of fireworks is going to be even more spectacular. Currently we see low fireworks over the castle and the high ones over Space Mountain.

Jen

Upcoming:

NYE Dec 29-Jan 3 (BLT) Me + 4 Gen Ys

Completed: Florida Sep 29- Nov 2 (B-day trip), Florida March 3-23 (Cypress Harbour 3-16, Bay Lake 17-23), Williamsburg with the family, June 21-28, 2019
broganmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:45 AM   #58
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by broganmc View Post
Wow I forgot I even wrote this. My thinking still stands. Fixed weeks are not worth the money for me. I would much rather invest in a condo in Orlando and have a place available to me all year round.

Since I wrote this in 2015 several apartment complexes opened up near my favorite Marriott Resort next to SeaWorld. My dad and I debated it and if he didn't already have a beach condo in Maryland, we may very well have considered it. Things changed of course.

I am getting my wish of having a place to stay at Disney during New Year's though. That is through add-on BLT contracts. I'm getting a one bedroom with the view of the park. Turned out to be a great place to ring in the New Year. We fly down on the 28th and get you enjoy Epcot and Hollywood before dedicating the rest of our time to Magic Kingdom and the lagoon resorts. New Year's Eve from Bay Lake is a fabulous time. You can see fireworks all along the horizon. And you don't need to deal with crowds to enjoy it. When the Tron roller coaster opens up in 2021, the view of fireworks is going to be even more spectacular. Currently we see low fireworks over the castle and the high ones over Space Mountain.

Jen
Congratulations Jenn on the BLT addon, I k ow you had been looking:-) I would love to ring in NYE over TOTWL but have yet to purchase BLT points, but have been on the fence for a while, with each time something else winning out...first time it was GFV, second was CCV. I agree with your take on fixed weeks, my problem is our travel time changes with the kids school vacations. At one time we went the end of August, then July, we will see.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:50 AM   #59
Soul Brother
Studio

What's the apprehension of a fixed week?
It's a normal contract except they book a reservation for you with the points you've bought.

Don't want to use the reservation? Good, cancel and use the points just like any other points.

There's zero downside to buying a fixed week except if you actually use it. If you use it, you consume the 10% more points you paid at the time of buying your fixed week.
Eg. The points for my fixed week was 125. I had to buy 138 points for the fixed week. When I cancel my fixed week, I get credited for 138 points to use.
Because of this, I'd only buy a fixed week in a "tough" to book time/category that we may possibly visit during.

I own a fixed week (#50) at VGF and it was an awesome decision. I've only used it 2 times in 6 years. All other times I cancelled the ressie and used the points including this upcoming year.
That tough to get week is always there though should I decide I want to go.