home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Other Vacations After Selling DVC
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-19-2021, 02:35 PM   #21
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Smile Congratulations

Youll have amazing trips ahead of you.

Best wishes,

Goldi

Find me in the unofficial DVC Rental List:
http://bit.ly/SawickipediasDVCRentalList

Home Resorts: AKV+BCV+BLT+RIV+VGF+OKW+SSR+VBR
goldilocks_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:00 PM   #22
parlay
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjourno View Post

I never imagined Id sell - my original plan was to buy more and more points so that I could spend at least a few months there each year during my retirement. My typical Disney vacation is to have three Fastpasses each day and just relax and enjoy the included live shows, fireworks, and wander around for the rest of the day. A relaxed pace now that the kids have grown up!

But now, with the free Fastpasses gone, the Magical Express gone, the live entertainment reduced, the extra costs add up. So instead of strolling around Epcot, Im going to try strolling around the actual countries with a relaxed pace by booking monthly rentals instead.
My husband and I had visions of increasing our total number of points to accommodate a 2 month stay at Disney in the winter - but Im feeling the disillusionment too. I think shedding DVC points wont happen for a while, my DH has shrugged off the new changes at Disney as not a big deal.
parlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:56 PM   #23
TeamRiley
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlay View Post
My husband and I had visions of increasing our total number of points to accommodate a 2 month stay at Disney in the winter - but Im feeling the disillusionment too. I think shedding DVC points wont happen for a while, my DH has shrugged off the new changes at Disney as not a big deal.
Give it a chance. I thought the MaxPass arrangement was far superior to the 60 day fastpass battle you had to do at WDW. That was always one thing that deterred me from more trips to Florida.

This new Genie thing might turn out OK.
TeamRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:01 PM   #24
administrator
Please don't make me want to smack you upside the head.

Quote:
Thanks for the kind support, everyone!

This was a very tough decision for me - since 2006 weve been a Disney family, and the kids have grown up enjoying the magic. Our Labrador dogs are even named Disney and Pixar!

I never imagined Id sell - my original plan was to buy more and more points so that I could spend at least a few months there each year during my retirement. My typical Disney vacation is to have three Fastpasses each day and just relax and enjoy the included live shows, fireworks, and wander around for the rest of the day. A relaxed pace now that the kids have grown up!

But now, with the free Fastpasses gone, the Magical Express gone, the live entertainment reduced, the extra costs add up. So instead of strolling around Epcot, Im going to try strolling around the actual countries with a relaxed pace by booking monthly rentals instead.

In September, I bought a chalet in the Canadian Rockies which Ive been running as an Airbnb ( https://www.airbnb.com/h/luxurychalet in case youre curious) Once the kids move out of home (they are both adults now) Im going to do the same with our home when we are travelling.

Kim - our chalet (and many other Airbnbs) allow pets! Of course, travelling overseas with animals is much tougher though. I hope you have some pet-loving family and friends to take care of them while you explore. And pick a country - Id love to meet up for a cocktail!
HA I have discovered that traveling with cats absolutely sucks (we have two cats and a dog). I will not do that again at least, not until were ready to retire.

The next place well be going is London. We are museum and archaeology nerds and are looking forward to that. After that, well do a River cruise through Germany. We want to get back to Rome (4 days wasnt enough for nerds like us). And then the other day, Eric mentioned Japan. I was like, Where the hell did that come from? We will definitely be in touch!

Kim
administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:03 PM   #25
tgropp
One Bedroom

I am a Disney park goer for over 40 years…..before children, with children, with children and spouses and now top it off with Grandchildren. We own 100 points at BRV, and a 75, 75 and 50 point contracts at BCV. We are all going for Christmas in a 2 BR from Dec 16-26. This trip will either leave me longing for more or else it’s time to cut ties with Disney. I think it may be the latter but I’m hoping not. Igor and Chapek have basically diminished the magic with unhappy cast members, cutbacks, poor housekeeping and an endless amount of complications every time that we go
Dec 2014: VWL
Christmas 2013: VWL / BCV
Feb2013: AKV/Western Fantasy/BCV
Feb 2012: DCL Mexican Riveria
Dec 2011: VWL/BCV
Christmas 2010 : VWL
Nov 2009: BCV :
Dec 2008 : VWL/AKV
Dec 2007: BWV/VWL
Feb 2007: Dolphin/Magic Crusie/VWL/OKW
Christmas/New Years 2005: WL / Dolphin
Dec 2002: AKL/WL
Christmas/New Years 2000: WL/BC
Christmas/New Years 1998: WL/BC
Christmas 1996: WL Jr Suite
Christmas 1994: WL
Dec 1992: CBR
1989/1983/ 1981: Offsite
tgropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:12 PM   #26
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRiley View Post
Give it a chance. I thought the MaxPass arrangement was far superior to the 60 day fastpass battle you had to do at WDW. That was always one thing that deterred me from more trips to Florida.

I do agree with this 100%!

On the surface, the Genie may not look that great. But until rolls out and people start using it, it might not be bad. I am in the not liking it camp, but will wait to see it in action before throwing in the towel.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:15 PM   #27
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
In September, I bought a chalet in the Canadian Rockies which Ive been running as an Airbnb ( https://www.airbnb.com/h/luxurychalet in case youre curious) Once the kids move out of home (they are both adults now) Im going to do the same with our home when we are travelling.

I remember you posting about your purchase.....Loved it then and still loving it now! Stunning!!!

Old 08-19-2021, 04:22 PM   #28
TeamRiley
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
As an aside - I honestly WANT to come to this place [I think] each chip at the "what once was" is hard to take. Secretly, I sorta envy those of you that have been able to come to this place to savor what once was with Disney and move on to the next phase of your life. Bravo!
In the end, life is change. My first trip to Disney was in the early 70s. It does seem more idealized looking back, but back then you had to pay individually for each ride. There were definitely some down sides.

It seems like we always remember the upsides, and never the downsides. The inflation adjusted mid 70s price of a single "E ticket" ride would be somewhere around $5 today - for one ride, on top of that add the inflation adjusted $26 admission fee. In the 80s when the rides were starting to get more high tech. (and more fun), adjusted admission was around $40, and a single ride would be close to $10.

I have found that in general, you find what you look for. Some of us can look back and remember a "Golden Era" at Disney. That is really just 'Golden' for each person, and it is never the same era.

Considering that these days it is pretty easy to ride multiple rides in a single day that are vastly superior to any 'E Ticket' ride of yesteryear, the bang for your buck you are getting at Disney is still pretty favorable.

Last edited by TeamRiley; 08-19-2021 at 04:37 PM.
TeamRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:40 PM   #29
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

Quote:
In the end, life is change. My first trip to Disney was in the early 70s. It does seem more idealized looking back, but back then you had to pay individually for each ride. There were definitely some down sides.

It seems like we always remember the upsides, and never the downsides. The inflation adjusted mid 70s price of a single "E ticket" ride would be somewhere around $5 today - for one ride, on top of that add the inflation adjusted $26 admission fee.

I have found that in general, you find what you look for. Some of us can look back and remember a "Golden Era" at Disney. That is really just 'Golden' for each person, and it is never the same era.

Considering that these days it is pretty easy to ride multiple rides in a single day that are vastly superior to any 'E Ticket' ride of yesteryear, the bang for your buck you are getting at Disney is still pretty favorable.
I have been on this board since 2009 and even then there has always been constant posts about how Disney isn't as good as it used to be. Change is constant and its easy to romanticize the past.

I liked the Disneyland MaxPass so I'll hold reservations on Genie+ until i use it. Right now all my travel is in flux until Covid simmers down so time will tell if I resume regular Disney trips or go elsewhere.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:47 PM   #30
cali09
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Those Celebrity cruises are great! The dining is far superior over DCL. The only downside was after 8pm the ship really closes down. But since I tend to be non-social (which is not anti-social), it was nice to have the lounges to just Robin & I, and our friends.
Celebrity cruises are great, and yes, far better dining. We did Alaska with Celebrity and it was amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
This sounds like an excellent plan. If you had asked me a couple of years ago, I'd have said that we're keeping these until 2042, pretty much no matter what. Not gonna sell.

Well, we're still not selling as the benefits and magic for us still outweigh the negatives. I plan; I like to plan. So things that added planning were not negatives as it actually made the planning easier (and we now do less planning than we used to). So, while this was a negative to some, it was neutral to positive for us.

Of course, they're adding pretty universal negatives now - park reservations, Genie+, probably others I can't think of right now.

Again, still not selling at this point. But it's now no longer off the table in our minds. 2042 seems more nebulous as our end date.

And, another consideration is that we have, and have always only had, 250 points.

Cheers.
250 points for me as well, and I'm still in the "keeping until 2042" camp. Although I am considering less Disney, more renting out to pay for other trips, or trading into RCI. Maybe.

Quote:

Agreed. MaxPass at DLR was great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
I do agree with this 100%!

On the surface, the Genie may not look that great. But until rolls out and people start using it, it might not be bad. I am in the not liking it camp, but will wait to see it in action before throwing in the towel.
While I'm not thrilled with the "tell us every little thing you like" I am willing to wait and see how this pans out.

"to educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
Theodore Roosevelt
cali09 is offline   Reply With Quote