home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Other Vacations After Selling DVC
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-24-2021, 09:36 AM   #1
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Default A Cool Trip to Arizona/New Mexico in July

Obviously not literally!

So, we fly to Phoenix on July 10. Here are our plans:
  • July 10 - Arrive Phoenix in the evening. Overnight at Embassy suites
  • July 11 - Drive to Sedona with stops at Arcosanti and Montezuma's Castle
  • July 11-13 - Sedona AirBnB
  • July 13-15 - Grand Canyon El Tovar
  • July 16-17 - Holbrook, AZ La Quinta for Petrified Forest National Park (We could completely swap this out with something else.)
  • July 17-23 - Santa Fe AirBnB
    • Definitely Taos (though Taos Pueblo is closed)
    • Bandelier
    • Georgia O'Keefe Museum. A couple of other museums.
  • Jul 24-25 - To be determined, probably 2 overnights in Phoenix to see some of Phoenix on the 24th
  • Jul 25 - Fly home

Some questions. Note that I enjoy photography so scenic is awesome.
  • Any favorite restaurants or galleries/shops in the Sedona area?
  • Any favorite restaurants/museums in Santa Fe/Taos? Taos Pueblo is closed.
  • Recommended parks or other natural sights in the Santa Fe area? We're fine with day trips with up to 60-90 minutes transit time unless it's a scenic route which is the experience.
  • Other interesting/scenic ways to get to Santa Fe from Grand Canyon? We like to do one major and maybe 1-2 smaller things a day. Monument Valley is closed but we've been there anyway.
  • Any recommended things to consider from Santa Fe to Phoenix. We want to be in Phoenix in our hotel by dinner time on the 24th. We have an 8 am flight on the 25th.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:16 PM   #2
kaedeesmom
Two Bedroom

Please do come back for a future second trip! A trip timed the week before and first weekend of Balloon Fiesta is a wonderful idea. Harvest season is a beautiful time, with festivals, centuries-old traditions, and the smell of roasting green chile in the air. And seeing hundreds of hot air balloons filling the sky is a joyfully surreal experience. Book your reservations well in advance - people come from all over the world for Balloon Fiesta. The Tamaya is a beautiful resort operated by the Santa Ana tribe, and it's fairly close to Balloon Fiesta park.

Santa Fe:

nmgastronome is a local food reviewer that has a lot of reviews of Santa Fe restaurants.

Meow Wolf is one of the most popular places in Santa Fe - I haven't been, but it's supposed to be awesome.

The Loretto Chapel in Santa Fe has a beautiful and unique staircase - I always feel reverent and spiritual when visiting.

NM Day Trips:

Since you're heading north and not south, I assume you aren't interested in places like Carlsbad Caverns, Bosque del Apache, and White Sands. But keep them in mind for when you come back!!!

Jemez Springs is a beautiful trip - about 1.5 hours from Santa Fe - with natural hot springs and a village-owned bath house. If you want to go for something a little more upscale, Ten Thousand Waves is a lovely spa just outside Santa Fe.

If you can carve out some time for Albuquerque, the Rio Grande zoo is pretty cool - especially impressive for such a small city. There are a few underwater windows that give unique views into the polar bear, penguin, and seal exhibits. We also have a good science center (Explora), natural history museum, and botanical gardens. We also have one of the longest aerial trams in the world running up the side of the Sandias. Hiking through Petroglyph National Monument and viewing the indigenous art is is a unique and memorable experience. And just walking through the Bosque (many open spaces around here) is pretty amazing - mulberries were plentiful when I was down there a few weeks ago, so I had a nice snack while I walked, and the Yerba Mansa smelled wonderful.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:58 PM   #3
Princess Mom
Studio

While working one summer during college in lower CO, we went white water rafting on a day trip to Taos. So. Much. Fun! Plus, it'll keep you cool!
Princess Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:01 PM   #4
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Looking forward to reading about your adventures.

Love the first part of your trip....been there, done that....always said we would go back. The second part is all unknown to me. But i know you guys will be getting into something good.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:45 PM   #5
JCinWonderland
Grand Villa

Taos is wonderful. It has such a great energy. I didn’t realize the Taos Pueblo is closed right now. it is a very interesting place to visit and see the community and pueblos, although I felt a little uncomfortable the one time I visited because you are literally going through peoples homes where they are also selling food, jewelry, and other items. I know they probably rely heavily on tourism and the money it draws to the community, but it was an odd experience.

We haven’t been to Taos in many years but Orlando’s used to be one of our favorite places to go for chili rellenos. My sister went there on her last trip a year or two ago and she was not impressed, so I don’t know these days. We’ve had a couple nice meals at Lambert’s (also years ago).

Arroyo Seco is a cute, albeit very rustic, town not far from Taos. They used to do a cute little Fourth of July parade that we attended a couple times. They have a few shops to explore. Julia Roberts used to (maybe still does) have a place up on the hill above Arroyo Seco.

Definitely visit the Rio Grande gorge bridge, if you’re not afraid of heights. Beautiful views and just a wonder to see.
JCinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:49 PM   #6
JCinWonderland
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Mom View Post
While working one summer during college in lower CO, we went white water rafting on a day trip to Taos. So. Much. Fun! Plus, it'll keep you cool!
My sister and I did white water rafting on the Rio while visiting Taos. The waters were a little too calm at the time of year we went but still fun to say Iíve rafted on the Rio!
JCinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:21 PM   #7
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Sounds great, except for any outside time in the heat... Definitely don't think I could handle it anytime besides winter, but enjoy!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:58 PM   #8
MinnieSueB
Two Bedroom

If you want to carve out some time while at the GC & go north 2 hours to Lower Antelope Canyon/Horseshoe Bend, well worth the time. Some of the most gorgeous photos that I have ever taken were in Lower Antelope Canyon! Enjoy & stay cool!

Edit:
Ugh! NM - still closed due to Covid. Keep checking. They may open soon.
MinnieSueB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:11 AM   #9
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Sounds great, except for any outside time in the heat... Definitely don't think I could handle it anytime besides winter, but enjoy!

But its dry heat.....much better then Florida wet heat.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:12 AM   #10
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieSueB View Post
If you want to carve out some time while at the GC & go north 2 hours to Lower Antelope Canyon/Horseshoe Bend, well worth the time. Some of the most gorgeous photos that I have ever taken were in Lower Antelope Canyon! Enjoy & stay cool!

Edit:
Ugh! NM - still closed due to Covid. Keep checking. They may open soon.

But why is it still closed? That makes no sense......Then again, the cruise and airplane rules make no sense either.