home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Other Vacations After Selling DVC
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-28-2021, 07:28 PM   #1
mountainjourno
Grand Villa

Default Has Airbnb/VRBO affected your travel plans?

Way back when I first bought into DVC, I remember thinking that it spoiled me for future hotel vacations. I loved the flexibility of choosing room configurations, and having the ability to cook/wash clothes etc. Suddenly even upscale hotels just didnít do it for me - we were still all stuck in one room together.

In the past 5 years, in addition to our DVC vacations (which stopped in March 2020 due to Covid) we have stayed at Airbnbís in China, Norway, France, USA and Canada. Each one was unique and offered facilities that we couldnít fathom getting at hotels.

My favourite was in Oslo, Norway, where we had incredible views of a fjord yet could still walk everywhere in the city.

Now Iím drooling over so many different properties throughout Europe. Iím considering just turning my home back into an Airbnb (we have a mountain chalet that we already rent out on Airbnb) and just staying thoughout Europe month by month at different places.

It seems there are a lot of them near Disney too, for when we next go back (assuming Iíve sold all of our points by then - right now we have sold one contract and have rented out the others for now to use up excess Covid points)

Anyone else find changes in their vacationing habits thanks to these platforms?

mountainjourno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:54 PM   #2
MOTed
One Bedroom

We still own DVC points and have no plans to sell. You’re right - the DVC villas have spoiled me too. For our non-Disney trips, unless it’s a simple overnight stay somewhere, we use VRBO more than anything else. I used to use AirBnB, but they treated me very badly in 2020 so I’m exclusive to VRBO now. We have a stay next spring in Paris and in Burgundy - both accommodations booked through VRBO.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:00 PM   #3
brp
Add-on Aficionado

We have never used either. So far just hotels. In Europe the hotels we stay at have very nice lounges, not something we'd get with those services, so we'll probably stick with the hotels for free lounge access.

We are planning to buy a small place in New Orleans. We were thinking to offer as AirBnB when we're not there. Then we found that they have a residency rule for AirBnB, so that's out unfortunately.

Cheers.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:05 PM   #4
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

As I have mentioned before, there are a huge number of houses in Kissimmee that show up on VRBO. I just checked out of curiousity and am not seriously interested, but one might wonder how many Kissimmee houses are not on VRBO!
Old 09-28-2021, 11:36 PM   #5
mountainjourno
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTed View Post
We still own DVC points and have no plans to sell. Youíre right - the DVC villas have spoiled me too. For our non-Disney trips, unless itís a simple overnight stay somewhere, we use VRBO more than anything else. I used to use AirBnB, but they treated me very badly in 2020 so Iím exclusive to VRBO now. We have a stay next spring in Paris and in Burgundy - both accommodations booked through VRBO.
I havenít yet rented a place on VRBO, but we have our chalet listed on both Airbnb and VRBO. So far, Airbnb is more than 90% of our bookings. I wonder if one is used more different geographic locations. I think in future I will look up both sites before booking a vacation destination!

Old 09-28-2021, 11:38 PM   #6
mountainjourno
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
As I have mentioned before, there are a huge number of houses in Kissimmee that show up on VRBO. I just checked out of curiousity and am not seriously interested, but one might wonder how many Kissimmee houses are not on VRBO!
I will have to check them out! I just hope some of them compare to our DVC accommodations - Iím definitely conditioned now to the bright, friendly atmosphere.

Old 09-29-2021, 09:52 AM   #7
bigbahamadada
Grand Villa

Absolutely, yes.

With a larger family, it was really the 2 bedroom units that drew me to DVC. Spacious accommodations with a kitchen, closely located to what we want to see? And we can all stay together, rather than being in two hotel rooms? Sign me up.

I strongly prefer having a kitchen and laundry while on vacation. I like to cook and prefer to travel light. I also love exploring foreign grocery stores.

AirBNB scratches those same itches. We've used AirBNB, VRBO and OneFineStay all over the world. My favorites so far are a beach house in Port Douglas, Australia, a 3rd story walkup on the Left Bank, several places in London, and a house in Manly, NSW.
bigbahamadada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:55 AM   #8
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

We do a little of everything - we have a travel trailer, use DVC, and use both hotels and VRBO. Generally, I think it has as much to do with the nature of the trip as anything, but I will say that hotel stays are increasingly centered on short visits. For a couple of nights, a VRBO isn't worth it. As a family of 5, however, the trailer, DVC and VRBO offer amenities and space that matter for longer stays.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:25 PM   #9
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I'm a huge fan of AirBnB, but it also depends on where we're staying. I got my first taste of this by stating exclusively in guest houses in South Africa - sort of a cross between B&B and AirBnB. I love the artistic decorating, unique architecture, grounds, etc., and it was always nice to have more of a home environment for relaxing.

We would easily and forever be willing to go back to Sedona and Santa Fe just to stay in our AirBnB's there as if they were our vacation homes.

I've looked into some in Norway, but found it hard to find confirmation of laundry availability. I would love to know the Oslo stay you had.

So, yeah, AirBnBs have definitely influenced us. I love the full kitchen and the laundry. We still like hotel stays for a quick overnight or when we don't want to mess with food prep.

For a family, I would think vacation rentals would be a no brainer.

My one disappointment is that I've had a hard time finding a place in San Francisco I would stay at. Part of the problem is we would have a car because we travel around the state and out of the city, and part of the problem is that so many of the places aren't really all that private. A few more have come online that I would consider, though.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:24 PM   #10
mountainjourno
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I've looked into some in Norway, but found it hard to find confirmation of laundry availability. I would love to know the Oslo stay you had.

Dirk
Hereís the Oslo one, Dirk! It has a washer, dryer and kitchen - no worries! The location was absolutely perfect too. https://abnb.me/tkNJgKKcXjb

It was cheaper than the hotel the rest of our group was staying at (we were there in December 2017 when my son was performing a the Nobel Peace Prize concert - truly magical experience!). The apartment was adorable with awesome views and the host was super friendly.

Iím planning to go back to Norway for a longer trip and have found so many places all over the country Iím dying to stay in. I was an exchange student in Bergen for a year when I was 16, so I have a special love for that country.