home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > My Disney Experience, Magic Bands, and FastPass+
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-02-2021, 04:34 AM   #441
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli's Nana View Post
Speaking of kids activities at Epcot, you all just reminded me...

When our DS was a kid, Epcot had a (free) kid's passport you could request throughout the World Showcase. There was a special activity area in each country pavilion to get the passport stamped. There were also ambassadors where the kids could learn about the country, do some sort of related craft, and learn a word or two of the language. Our DS loved it!

Were they still doing that before covid?
Yes they were. And itís operational now too, plus a version that you play on the Play Disney Parks app.

https://www.disneyworld.co.uk/attrac...cot-fun-stops/

The Wilderness Explorers at AK is also running, but some activities are modified or not available.

https://www.disneyworld.co.uk/attrac...ess-explorers/
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:13 AM   #442
cpnkirk
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsmom View Post
I am trying not to be ticked off about this new pay to play feature... but every time I read about it, I find myself feeling really angry.

After all these years Disney is going to make me PAY on top of PAYING for my ticket to ride beloved rides that my family has ridden for years and that have become traditional. ( SM, EE)

Sorry Disney, right now, for this, you suck.
Before you know it, we'll have ticket books again (virtual probably):

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:00 AM   #443
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnkirk View Post
Before you know it, we'll have ticket books again (virtual probably):

Yeah, but you didn't pay $150 to get into the park for the privilege of then paying per attraction!!

Walt Disney World cost $3.50 per adult in 1971, which would be around $25 today. I'd pay per attraction if I had to pay $25 to get into the park. Heck, even $30-$40 considering how much more the park has today. Otherwise, I'll be budgeting carefully and going less frequently to reflect that.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:05 AM   #444
bakerworld
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCinWonderland View Post
LOL its not the best attraction, but you look past that as a Frozen fan, I believe. The name is too long to write though.
The best part of the Frozen attraction is walking thru the store in the standby line to see the guy in the sauna.
Old 10-02-2021, 10:13 AM   #445
nicsmom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsmom View Post
I am trying not to be ticked off about this new pay to play feature... but every time I read about it, I find myself feeling really angry.

After all these years Disney is going to make me PAY on top of PAYING for my ticket to ride beloved rides that my family has ridden for years and that have become traditional. ( SM, EE)

Sorry Disney, right now, for this, you suck.

Upon some reflection what makes me so angry is that I just know that this will split my family up during a trip. My boys might ride FEA for me, but will certainly just sit it out if it has a premium cost. Likewise after 100 times riding Space Mtn I will likely pass rather than spend. My choice I know but still a bitter pill.
nicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 01:44 PM   #446
rowrbazzle
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
What if they had a 50th anniversary, and nobody came?!
We had plans to go to Disney multiple times during the 50th anniversary, including on the date. But as it became clearer that Disney wasn't going to do much beyond paint and decorations, the number of trips got reduced. We're down to one and expect it to be just a regular (albeit, still good) trip.
Old 10-04-2021, 01:57 PM   #447
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowrbazzle View Post
We had plans to go to Disney multiple times during the 50th anniversary, including on the date. But as it became clearer that Disney wasn't going to do much beyond paint and decorations, the number of trips got reduced. We're down to one and expect it to be just a regular (albeit, still good) trip.
We are going multiple times (later this month and then December). But it is just when we go and has nothing to do with the 50th. We go about these same times each year.

Cheers.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:36 PM   #448
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli's Nana View Post
Speaking of kids activities at Epcot, you all just reminded me...

When our DS was a kid, Epcot had a (free) kid's passport you could request throughout the World Showcase. There was a special activity area in each country pavilion to get the passport stamped. There were also ambassadors where the kids could learn about the country, do some sort of related craft, and learn a word or two of the language. Our DS loved it!

Were they still doing that before covid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
Yes they were. And itís operational now too, plus a version that you play on the Play Disney Parks app.

https://www.disneyworld.co.uk/attrac...cot-fun-stops/

The Wilderness Explorers at AK is also running, but some activities are modified or not available.

https://www.disneyworld.co.uk/attrac...ess-explorers/
Just to add to Nickys information - The Kidcot stops are not the same as pre-Covid. My daughter stopped in Mexico on Saturday 10/2 because she was interested in collecting all the stamps and info from the countries.

Right now, Disney CMs at the Kidcot stations are not from the country at that station, and the CM said most cannot share any information about that country. We were In Mexico and she said she has never been to Mexico and she said that she's had some pretty angry guests from those countries who visit the Kidcot station that can't believe how she knows nothing about their country. The CMs at the stations have a small handout that the guest can color in later. No passports, no stamps, no Duffy to color at each station, no coloring materials of any kind. For those that don't know what the "old" program was I guess it's okay -- but, for those that experienced the old Kidcot program the "new" program is pretty lack luster.

Where I'm Going 2020:
Aulani - Sunday, December 20 - Friday, January 1, 2021
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 03:56 PM   #449
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
Just to add to Nickys information - The Kidcot stops are not the same as pre-Covid. My daughter stopped in Mexico on Saturday 10/2 because she was interested in collecting all the stamps and info from the countries.

Right now, Disney CMs at the Kidcot stations are not from the country at that station, and the CM said most cannot share any information about that country. We were In Mexico and she said she has never been to Mexico and she said that she's had some pretty angry guests from those countries who visit the Kidcot station that can't believe how she knows nothing about their country. The CMs at the stations have a small handout that the guest can color in later. No passports, no stamps, no Duffy to color at each station, no coloring materials of any kind. For those that don't know what the "old" program was I guess it's okay -- but, for those that experienced the old Kidcot program the "new" program is pretty lack luster.
I was surprised they even tried to man the Kidcot stations at the moment. But itís disappointing that the CMs donít know anything about the country. Surely they could have been given a crib sheet of info. Honestly, I can understand why they donít have the colouring crayons and stuff, but a stamp should be doable.

Hopefully those visas will start to be issued again soon. But currently the priority is students who want to study in the US, according to the US embassy and consulates over here.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote