home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Other Vacations After Selling DVC
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-20-2021, 09:42 AM   #41
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawickipedia View Post
OMG you guys need to hit the Balkans - the amount of relatively unknown roman ruins in Slovenia and Croatia is amazing! Go google Pula Croatia and Roman Amphitheater for starters!

People who know me, know that Croatia et al is very high on my bucket list of travel destinations. On my Norditrac lately, the iFit runs are all focused on that region and I am loving it!
Old 08-20-2021, 10:16 AM   #42
bigbahamadada
Grand Villa

This is a great plan and mirrors our decision of a few years ago. Congrats.

AirBNB is such a game changer for all travel, but especially for a larger family.

In the time between selling most our points and COVID hitting, we did London, Paris, Sydney and the Great Barrier Reef in nice AirBNBs. And our all-in costs, as compared to Disney trips, went down.

The big difference in spend, of course, is that depending on when you purchased, DVC has actually appreciated in value. (Now, that, is some freaking Disney magic.) You don't get that with an AirBNB trip, of course.

But, reviving a frequent topic of mine from years past, I will note that you can run the Kroger gas game on AirBNB gift cards -- effectively netting out 20% of the spend.

Happy travels!
bigbahamadada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:00 AM   #43
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
People who know me, know that Croatia et al is very high on my bucket list of travel destinations. On my Norditrac lately, the iFit runs are all focused on that region and I am loving it!
For us as well. The travel logistics make a 4-5 day trip not efficient so it will wait until we have more time. Other European destinations work for the shorter trip.

We've plotted routes to both Croatia and Slovenia to know that it won't work for us yet.

Cheers.
Old 08-20-2021, 11:05 AM   #44
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
For us as well. The travel logistics make a 4-5 day trip not efficient so it will wait until we have more time. Other European destinations work for the shorter trip.

We've plotted routes to both Croatia and Slovenia to know that it won't work for us yet.

Cheers.

Two weeks minimum!!!
Old 08-20-2021, 11:06 AM   #45
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Two weeks minimum!!!
Yeah. Although we'd probably do these as separate trips to maximize miles...so maybe a week each

Cheers.
Old 08-20-2021, 02:44 PM   #46
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjourno View Post
Yesterday’s Disney announcement was the final push my husband and I needed.

We are going to start selling all 860 points (Beach Club, Saratoga, and Animal Kingdom) and use the annual dues to stay at different Airbnb accommodations around the world.

One year of annual dues will get us three months of rentals in Europe; a month on a Greek Island, a month in Venice, and a month on a beach in Spain - just as an example. There are so many magical places to explore!

And then the proceeds of our sales will be awesome for flights, food etc.

I’ve decided it would be fun to “snowbird” to a variety of warm places. And it seems like there is no shortage of rentals available near Disney World for when I get withdrawal. (My husband goes to Disney out of love for me - he’d rather travel to other places anyway).

Now that it is so easy to book short term rentals around the world, I’m becoming less excited about vacation ownership. Especially when our dues keep rising, but the value of owning at Disney seems to be declining.

So I guess I’m joining the “after DVC” team!
Good luck in your post DVC vacationing extravaganza! Seems fun and definitely more free if you're not feeling the magic anymore.

Also good luck with FIRPTA. That seems like such a pain to figure out with all the increased valuations in the past few yeras.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 07:40 PM   #47
OldHalfElf
One Bedroom

Quote:
I do agree with this 100%!

On the surface, the Genie may not look that great. But until rolls out and people start using it, it might not be bad. I am in the not liking it camp, but will wait to see it in action before throwing in the towel.

DW and my DVC use is in annual hosting of at least four other family members, with a dining emphasis. I give the parks credit for the entire Black Spire Outpost operation, FoP, MMRR, Skipper's Canteen, and the continued outstanding presence of AK and AKL animals. I.e., -- not all changes have been for the worse. That said, there are certainly some things I would roll back if I could. Although I hate to say it, I feel under-surveyed about proposed and recent changes. I also grow fearful that the company will become a hedge fund target if it gets too far from the Disney family vision.

OldHalfElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 12:20 PM   #48
kiapgh23e
Grand Villa

Quote:
Who is the trainer for that? I am currently running through Portugal with Tommy Rivs and walking Easter Island with Dr Dale. I totally love iFit. Just got my shirt last week. (100 WORKOUTS)

MOD 97
kiapgh23e is offline   Reply With Quote