home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Other Vacations After Selling DVC
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-19-2021, 05:12 PM   #31
Sephorin
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjourno View Post
Yesterday’s Disney announcement was the final push my husband and I needed.

We are going to start selling all 860 points (Beach Club, Saratoga, and Animal Kingdom) and use the annual dues to stay at different Airbnb accommodations around the world.
I think your plan sounds great! Congratulations! Like you said, you can still go to Disney World every once in a while if you really want to. I don't think there is much sense keeping the points if they don't feel magical to you anymore.

From what I have read, there are a lot of folks who agree with you...
Sephorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:29 PM   #32
bakerworld
Add-on Aficionado

I have to call a TA tomorrow to make an appt for our Spring 2022 London/Paris trip. Ya catch that verb? Yeah, 1st world problems. I have high hopes for the plane ride because that will decide our future trips. Ya notice I call 'em trips versus vacations. There isn't much I need to experience if it requires sitting in a transportation vehicle longer than 3 hours or spending more than 7 nights in someone else's bed.
Old 08-19-2021, 05:50 PM   #33
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post

The next place we’ll be going is London. We are museum and archaeology nerds and are looking forward to that. After that, we’ll do a River cruise through Germany. We want to get back to Rome (4 days wasn’t enough for nerds like us). And then the other day, Eric mentioned Japan. I was like, “Where the hell did that come from?” We will definitely be in touch!

Kim
We're also museum and architecture nerds and have enjoyed both London and Rome for this. I had no idea just how much Roman architecture there was in London until we went looking for it. As the back wall of an outdoor cafe garden, for example.

Rome has this set of things outside the city proper and they used to have this thing called the Archeobus that stopped at like half a dozen of these. I'm not sure if that's still around, but definitely in the archeo nerd category

Cheers.
Old 08-19-2021, 06:42 PM   #34
mountainjourno
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
I remember you posting about your purchase.....Loved it then and still loving it now! Stunning!!!
Thanks - I’m actually at it right now!

One thing for sure - I have zero regrets about buying into DVC. The holidays our family has taken over the past 15 years have been pure magic. And now I feel good about moving onto a new chapter, but it was a tough decision to make. The recent changes at Disney really were the push that I needed. We had it really good for such a long time!

mountainjourno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:57 PM   #35
babysimba
Grand Villa

When you put the cost of maintenance fees into that prospective, one can't disagree. In the past, when someone stated they were selling all their points, there would be a lot of comments, " keep some of your point" "you may regret it someday", etc. Sadly, the way Disney is moving forward, no one is saying that on your post. Some of the magic is still there for me, but it is getting harder and harder for me not to be disillusioned. I am cutting them some slack coming out of a pandemic, but, yikes.

I think of my son and daughter in law. They have 3 young children. Paying for Magic Express is huge for them. They purchased a small contract at SSR to make Disney affordable for years to come. They eat almost all their meals in the room or pack a lunch/snacks for the parks. They don't do character meals, and sometimes walk over to Shade of Greens for an affordable meal with 3 young kids. Now paying for Genie+ may push them over the edge. They already go on a shoe string budget, these changes may have them decide WDW just isn't worth it and that makes me sad. They took the girls to Myrtle Beach this year and had a great time for the fraction of the cost.

Congratulations on your decision! It sounds like you have wonderful memories in your future!
babysimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:04 PM   #36
starry_solo
Two Bedroom

Congrats on your decision. You will have great trips to Europe!
starry_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:10 PM   #37
sawickipedia
Grand Villa

Quote:
Thanks for the kind support, everyone!

This was a very tough decision for me - since 2006 we’ve been a Disney family, and the kids have grown up enjoying the magic. Our Labrador dogs are even named Disney and Pixar!

I never imagined I’d sell - my original plan was to buy more and more points so that I could spend at least a few months there each year during my retirement. My typical Disney vacation is to have three Fastpasses each day and just relax and enjoy the included live shows, fireworks, and wander around for the rest of the day. A relaxed pace now that the kids have grown up!

But now, with the free Fastpasses gone, the Magical Express gone, the live entertainment reduced, the extra costs add up. So instead of strolling around Epcot, I’m going to try strolling around the actual countries with a relaxed pace by booking monthly rentals instead.

In September, I bought a chalet in the Canadian Rockies which I’ve been running as an Airbnb ( https://www.airbnb.com/h/luxurychalet in case you’re curious) Once the kids move out of home (they are both adults now) I’m going to do the same with our home when we are travelling.

Kim - our chalet (and many other Airbnb’s) allow pets! Of course, travelling overseas with animals is much tougher though. I hope you have some pet-loving family and friends to take care of them while you explore. And pick a country - I’d love to meet up for a cocktail!
And you know what? You know a ton of DVC owners who rent points so if you get the itch down the road, then you can easily find a way back to WDW! And as the current admin of a pretty cool dvc rental list - just track me down when you need them So enjoy your travels and see the world!

for disney news - check out/follow my disney twitter list of leading WDW news sites

home resorts: bwv/blt/pvb/aul/riv
1982 - PR / 1984 - PR / 2012 - PR / 2014 - DL (off-resort) / 2015 - POR / 2017 - POR / 2018 - BCV & BWV/ 2019 - BWV & BWV / 2020 - RIV, PVB & BWV / 2021 - BWV, RiV, BWV

NEXT TRiP Easter 2022 BWV
sawickipedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:13 PM   #38
sawickipedia
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
We're also museum and architecture nerds and have enjoyed both London and Rome for this. I had no idea just how much Roman architecture there was in London until we went looking for it. As the back wall of an outdoor cafe garden, for example.

Rome has this set of things outside the city proper and they used to have this thing called the Archeobus that stopped at like half a dozen of these. I'm not sure if that's still around, but definitely in the archeo nerd category

Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
HA — I have discovered that traveling with cats absolutely sucks (we have two cats and a dog). I will not do that again — at least, not until we’re ready to retire.

The next place we’ll be going is London. We are museum and archaeology nerds and are looking forward to that. After that, we’ll do a River cruise through Germany. We want to get back to Rome (4 days wasn’t enough for nerds like us). And then the other day, Eric mentioned Japan. I was like, “Where the hell did that come from?” We will definitely be in touch!

Kim
OMG you guys need to hit the Balkans - the amount of relatively unknown roman ruins in Slovenia and Croatia is amazing! Go google Pula Croatia and Roman Amphitheater for starters!

for disney news - check out/follow my disney twitter list of leading WDW news sites

home resorts: bwv/blt/pvb/aul/riv
1982 - PR / 1984 - PR / 2012 - PR / 2014 - DL (off-resort) / 2015 - POR / 2017 - POR / 2018 - BCV & BWV/ 2019 - BWV & BWV / 2020 - RIV, PVB & BWV / 2021 - BWV, RiV, BWV

NEXT TRiP Easter 2022 BWV
sawickipedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 08:11 AM   #39
melk
Grand Villa

Quote:
Thanks for the kind support, everyone!

This was a very tough decision for me - since 2006 we’ve been a Disney family, and the kids have grown up enjoying the magic. Our Labrador dogs are even named Disney and Pixar!

I never imagined I’d sell - my original plan was to buy more and more points so that I could spend at least a few months there each year during my retirement. My typical Disney vacation is to have three Fastpasses each day and just relax and enjoy the included live shows, fireworks, and wander around for the rest of the day. A relaxed pace now that the kids have grown up!

But now, with the free Fastpasses gone, the Magical Express gone, the live entertainment reduced, the extra costs add up. So instead of strolling around Epcot, I’m going to try strolling around the actual countries with a relaxed pace by booking monthly rentals instead.

In September, I bought a chalet in the Canadian Rockies which I’ve been running as an Airbnb ( https://www.airbnb.com/h/luxurychalet in case you’re curious) Once the kids move out of home (they are both adults now) I’m going to do the same with our home when we are travelling.

Kim - our chalet (and many other Airbnb’s) allow pets! Of course, travelling overseas with animals is much tougher though. I hope you have some pet-loving family and friends to take care of them while you explore. And pick a country - I’d love to meet up for a cocktail!
Your Airbnb is gorgeous! I’ve saved it in case we ever get the opportunity to travel out that way.

Best wishes for wonderful adventures in your future!
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 08:15 AM   #40
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Quote:
Yesterday’s Disney announcement was the final push my husband and I needed.

We are going to start selling all 860 points (Beach Club, Saratoga, and Animal Kingdom) and use the annual dues to stay at different Airbnb accommodations around the world.

One year of annual dues will get us three months of rentals in Europe; a month on a Greek Island, a month in Venice, and a month on a beach in Spain - just as an example. There are so many magical places to explore!

And then the proceeds of our sales will be awesome for flights, food etc.

I’ve decided it would be fun to “snowbird” to a variety of warm places. And it seems like there is no shortage of rentals available near Disney World for when I get withdrawal. (My husband goes to Disney out of love for me - he’d rather travel to other places anyway).

Now that it is so easy to book short term rentals around the world, I’m becoming less excited about vacation ownership. Especially when our dues keep rising, but the value of owning at Disney seems to be declining.

So I guess I’m joining the “after DVC” team!
I think that is a WONDERFUL plan. We will probably be in the same place in a few years. We've sacrificed going to many, many other vacation destinations, because we felt locked into DVC. we still love it, but we hope to retire to FL, so may not need DVC as much. And there are SO many dream trips we want to take....we've been talking about England for about 10 years....and I'd love a river cruise.
Happy planning! best wishes in this next chapter, and on your new adventures!!!
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote