home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Other Vacations After Selling DVC
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-19-2021, 03:28 AM   #1
mountainjourno
Grand Villa

Default Selling up and seeing the world!

Yesterday’s Disney announcement was the final push my husband and I needed.

We are going to start selling all 860 points (Beach Club, Saratoga, and Animal Kingdom) and use the annual dues to stay at different Airbnb accommodations around the world.

One year of annual dues will get us three months of rentals in Europe; a month on a Greek Island, a month in Venice, and a month on a beach in Spain - just as an example. There are so many magical places to explore!

And then the proceeds of our sales will be awesome for flights, food etc.

I’ve decided it would be fun to “snowbird” to a variety of warm places. And it seems like there is no shortage of rentals available near Disney World for when I get withdrawal. (My husband goes to Disney out of love for me - he’d rather travel to other places anyway).

Now that it is so easy to book short term rentals around the world, I’m becoming less excited about vacation ownership. Especially when our dues keep rising, but the value of owning at Disney seems to be declining.

So I guess I’m joining the “after DVC” team!

Last edited by mountainjourno; 08-19-2021 at 03:34 AM.
mountainjourno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:50 AM   #2
melk
Grand Villa

That sounds like a great plan, congratulations!!
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:30 AM   #3
EEGRAM
Grand Villa

Yep. I have been pondering this myself. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:20 AM   #4
chrisvee
Two Bedroom

Congrats! Sounds like a wonderful plan.
chrisvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:27 AM   #5
tammymacb
Add-on Aficionado

We did the same and although I miss some of my stays (mostly big family trips to HHI) I don't regret anything else. If we do Disney these days, it's usually at Shades of Green for F&W and that's about it.
tammymacb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:52 AM   #6
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

I sold all but one small contract over the past few years.

Don't miss them at all and based on current moves.. the last one will go soon! (Probably hold it a few months to sell with a full point allotment)
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:13 PM   #7
administrator
Please don't make me want to smack you upside the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjourno View Post

We are going to start selling all 860 points (Beach Club, Saratoga, and Animal Kingdom) and use the annual dues to stay at different Airbnb accommodations around the world.

One year of annual dues will get us three months of rentals in Europe; a month on a Greek Island, a month in Venice, and a month on a beach in Spain - just as an example. There are so many magical places to explore!

I’ve decided it would be fun to “snowbird” to a variety of warm places. And it seems like there is no shortage of rentals available near Disney World for when I get withdrawal. (My husband goes to Disney out of love for me - he’d rather travel to other places anyway).

Now that it is so easy to book short term rentals around the world, I’m becoming less excited about vacation ownership. Especially when our dues keep rising, but the value of owning at Disney seems to be declining.

This echoes some of my reasons for selling last year. We have places we want to visit, and we’re not getting any younger.

Almost all of our trips have to be lengthy. They can’t be spur-of-the-moment because we have three animals (I mean pets, not kids) that need to be cared for (particularly now that two of they are well into senior status).

In addition, Eric gets a limited amount of vacation a year.

We’ve discerned that we just don’t want to be locked into any timeshares — or the hassle of renting out those timeshares.

I still love Disney cruises, and the level of service is such that I will consider paying up for those if there’s an itinerary that really intrigues me. Of course, I’d also consider looking at Celebrity and other non-kid-focused companies.

I might have felt differently if we had kids and grandkids, but when I look at all of the recent changes at Disney, I still think we would have arrived at the same decision.

Good luck! Maybe we’ll meet at some point in some distant place and enjoy a cocktail or two!

Kim
administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:39 PM   #8
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
I still love Disney cruises, and the level of service is such that I will consider paying up for those if there’s an itinerary that really intrigues me. Of course, I’d also consider looking at Celebrity and other non-kid-focused companies.

Those Celebrity cruises are great! The dining is far superior over DCL. The only downside was after 8pm the ship really closes down. But since I tend to be non-social (which is not anti-social), it was nice to have the lounges to just Robin & I, and our friends.
Old 08-19-2021, 01:27 PM   #9
JCinWonderland
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjourno View Post

As sad as it seems to be leaving DVC behind, your plan sounds wonderful. So many new adventures to be had! And with 860 points, you'll save a nice bit on maintenance fees to be able to put towards those adventures. Enjoy!
JCinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:37 PM   #10
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

I've been waffling selling at least some of my points too. This pandemic has really upended our travel and now our kids are often too busy to go, coupled with guilt to use my vacation time to visit my aging parents is making it harder to plan Disney trips.

On the plus side, the points are still easy enough to rent. If they weren't I would have sold already.