home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #41
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post

And another point not mentioned often enough is not having to worry about my alcohol consumption at all.
I only drink alcohol in any quantity at Epcot, where I've walked. I may have a beer at AK, but that's it. At Epcot, the sky's the limit

Cheers.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:20 AM   #42
cornbread4
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh bears mom View Post
We drive so we have our car, but we are a fan of the bus for everything except for transportation to DS and the water parks. We try to stay at SSR for a couple nights so we can walk to DS. We find the bus usually enjoyable, except at park close, but we usually close the park at whichever resort we are at (eg: epcot resort = epcot; MK resort = MK)
question...does the CCV boat go to all the resorts or does one have to change boats at MK dock?
We haven't done it ourselves yet, but looked up the boat details in advance for our first CCV visit next year.

http://www.*******.com/Transportation/water.htm

Red boats go direct MK to CCV. This is the primary option. There's one big and one small boat. It says travel time is 8-12 minutes without about 8 minutes between boats.

However, there's an alternate route available using the Blue boat which runs between CCV, Contemporary, & Fort Wilderness. Both pick up from same spot at CCV. Going to MK, our plan is to take Blue if it's there before Red and then just walk from Contemporary. On the return, if it's really crowded at the boat launch like at end of the day, we're thinking it might be faster (or at least less crowded) to walk to Contemporary and then take Blue boat to CCV.
cornbread4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:26 AM   #43
reblzmom
Grand Villa

I am that person that will walk from the TTC all the way across the Poly just to take the small boat to MK. I despise the ferry boat and get frustrated by the stops of the monorail. Is it efficient? No....but for me it is "civilized". I swear many people boarding that ferry boat have the "this is the last helicopter out of Vietnam" mentality. Yikes, people, we will all get on.....
Old 05-18-2018, 08:49 AM   #44
runner1219
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

We always fly in and never rent a car. The buses may not always be that efficient but it saves me the hassle of having to drive. I get to sit back, relax and meet new people.

I look at cooking and driving on vacation pretty much the same way. I do more than enough of it at home. When I'm on vacation I want to relax and avoid as much of the things I have to do at home as possible. So I don't cook or drive unless I have to.
runner1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:47 AM   #45
LOVINDVC
Grand Villa

Our practice has become drive to all of the parks except MK.

SSR OWNERS SINCE 2004
LOVINDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:46 AM   #46
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Bus fan here.....

I find that the buses work for us most of the time. The drive time from Ak to the parks is the same whether its a car or bus.

The differences are -
Waiting for the bus vs car is always ready.
Parking car in lot and walking or riding the tram to the drop off.
Bus is already cooled/heated.
Cost money to park, bus is free.
Someone else drives, you get to relax.

For MK, driving you have to park at TTC and take the boat over.

traffic at the end of the night is a bitch.
Understand and appreciate your point of view.
I have never paid to park at a WDW theme park.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:16 AM   #47
Joel0917
Grand Villa

I own at AKV. For me i drive to all parks but MK, in the AM. I'm a rope drop person and get anxious waiting. So i drive to the other parks early. Then bus in the afternoon when i go more slow paced.
but always bus to MK.
Stayed: SSR, AKV,AKL, THV, All star music, Pop Century, AofA, BLT, CBR.
Disneyland: 1998,2010, 2014, 2016
Stayed: VGC in 14/16
2016 - SSR/AKV and BLT
2017 BLT, SSR, AKV and coronado
Disney cruise: 2007, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019
Wonder 2x and Fantasy 5x Magic 1x
Upcoming:
Dream September 2019
Star Wars AP days August 2019
F&W AKV
Thanks Giving AKV
Joel0917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #48
PSULion22
Grand Villa

We've done both. Since we drive up, I would not take a bus anywhere if I could help it. Even with parking and walking from the lot, driving is faster than the bus almost all of the time. (we don't take the tram unless it's right there waiting when we are). While I'm on vacation and don't necessarily want to deal with driving, I want to waste time even less. Adding 15-30 minutes for every trip (or almost every trip) between waiting for a bus, the slower speed of the bus, and potential multiple stops, is not something that I want to do. This goes double when I have something scheduled to make. I don't feel like having to leave my room 60-75 minutes before I need to be somewhere to make a 15-20 minute ride. I wouldn't pay to rent a car if I was flying in. But since I have one, I'm not dealing with the hassles of Disney transportation.

As for the cost, it's free to park at the park for onsite guests. And as far as the heat, since I'm driving my own car I have my sunshade. A Florida resident knows a good sunshade is a must. Mine lowers the temp inside my car by 30-40 degrees. I also have remote start and can start the car as we are leaving the park to get the a/c going early. And on top of all that, Florida residents aren't bothered by heat like others are, so the warm car for 5 minutes doesn't phase us. And it's certainly preferable to waiting out in the sun for a bus, then being packed in like sardines.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:45 AM   #49
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Understand and appreciate your point of view.
I have never paid to park at a WDW theme park.
In 50+ trips to WDW, I have only rented a car once for a WDW stay. I have had a car total three times, with one stay being a Vero Beach trip with 2 days at WDW and the other being a Clearwater trip with a few days after at WDW.

I never feel the need (or desire) to rent a car from Orlando when we fly in for our vacation. Using the Disney Transportation system, layered with taxi/uber service as needed works for us.

There will come a day were I will start driving to WDW when I retire, but even then I am not sure I will be driving to the parks. But you never know......I can't foresee the future.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #50
Obie1DVC2014
Studio

Hello,

Our family stayed at Kidani last week, with a car. We mostly drove to the parks. We had a handicapped parking permit, so these comments are based on parking pretty close in the handicapped lots.

MK - I will take the bus from now on, took forever from the resort to the parking lot to the park.

AK - Amazingly, it took about 40 minutes to get from AKL to AK (about a mile?), the traffic was so bad trying to turn around to get in line to get into the AK parking lot. I think I would bus it from now on, unless going in the middle of the day.

HS - Using a car here was great, it is very close from AK and never had an issue.

Epcot - We did both car and bus. Both ways worked fine.

Water parks - I would always drive to these if I had a car.

Disney Springs - Car worked fine, parking is easier than it used to be.

Overall, after the trip, I think next time I will skip renting a car and use the transportation (but we probably wont stay at AK - we've been there twice and want to try other resorts).

Good luck!
Obie1DVC2014 is online now   Reply With Quote