home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 07-12-2018, 05:21 PM   #31
mustinjourney
Grand Villa
 
mustinjourney's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedel47 View Post
Can this be done? Will Disney still send your checked bags to the resort if you choose not to use the DME bus even though you would have signed up for it?

For example:
I signup for DME for my inbound flight.
Take alternate means (rental, uber/lyft, or car service) to get to the resort and do not sign in for DME.

Does DME still send my luggage to the resort in this scenario? Ideally this is the best approach as you wont have to wait for luggage and wont have to wait for DME bus.

It works for going home I can go down to bell services and have them send my luggage to the airport without using DME.
The official answer from Disney is that you CANNOT do this -- but almost everyone I've talked to that has attempted to do it has done it successfully. As far as I know, the service that pulls the luggage at the airport does not do any cross reference checking with DME to see if you have actually checked-in with DME and physically got on the bus.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:17 PM   #32
ermindy1133
Grand Villa
 
ermindy1133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 4,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
The official answer from Disney is that you CANNOT do this -- but almost everyone I've talked to that has attempted to do it has done it successfully. As far as I know, the service that pulls the luggage at the airport does not do any cross reference checking with DME to see if you have actually checked-in with DME and physically got on the bus.
Correct. Two separate entities at work. What if you stop for lunch? Or are waiting on family/friends on another flight? You may not go straight to DME check in. They arenít making sure youíve checked in before they pull your bags, they just do it.
__________________
(ME, Mindy) (DH, Tim) (DS, Brandon) (DD, Emily, Emma, or Princess, lol!) (DSGF, Heather)
ermindy1133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:29 PM   #33
cedel47
Studio
 
cedel47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
The official answer from Disney is that you CANNOT do this -- but almost everyone I've talked to that has attempted to do it has done it successfully. As far as I know, the service that pulls the luggage at the airport does not do any cross reference checking with DME to see if you have actually checked-in with DME and physically got on the bus.
Good to know. We were thinking about renting a car on our next trip in Nov. May have think about trying this now.
cedel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #34
carolina_yankee
Administrator
 
carolina_yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 26,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedel47 View Post
Can this be done? Will Disney still send your checked bags to the resort if you choose not to use the DME bus even though you would have signed up for it?

For example:
I signup for DME for my inbound flight.
Take alternate means (rental, uber/lyft, or car service) to get to the resort and do not sign in for DME.

Does DME still send my luggage to the resort in this scenario? Ideally this is the best approach as you wont have to wait for luggage and wont have to wait for DME bus.

It works for going home I can go down to bell services and have them send my luggage to the airport without using DME.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Correct. Two separate entities at work. What if you stop for lunch? Or are waiting on family/friends on another flight? You may not go straight to DME check in. They arenít making sure youíve checked in before they pull your bags, they just do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedel47 View Post
Good to know. We were thinking about renting a car on our next trip in Nov. May have think about trying this now.
The issue is that if something happens to your bags, Disney won't help you if you didn't get on the bus. You won't know if your bags went missing until you're at the resort and they didn't show up after many hours. You would have to go back to the airport and deal with the airline yourself.

If you got on the bus, Disney would handle the missing bag claim and work with the airline.

Disney/Mears have to staff based on how many people are supposed to get on the bus. They aren't going to be happy paying for empty seats, nor are they going to be happy paying for luggage service for someone who didn't get on the bus (and thus wasn't willing to be a Disney captive).

If this were a permitted policy - many people wouldn't get in the bus, making bus management impossible to manage.

Dirk
__________________
carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:11 AM.

© MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software