home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-12-2018, 05:21 PM   #31
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedel47 View Post
Can this be done? Will Disney still send your checked bags to the resort if you choose not to use the DME bus even though you would have signed up for it?

For example:
I signup for DME for my inbound flight.
Take alternate means (rental, uber/lyft, or car service) to get to the resort and do not sign in for DME.

Does DME still send my luggage to the resort in this scenario? Ideally this is the best approach as you wont have to wait for luggage and wont have to wait for DME bus.

It works for going home I can go down to bell services and have them send my luggage to the airport without using DME.
The official answer from Disney is that you CANNOT do this -- but almost everyone I've talked to that has attempted to do it has done it successfully. As far as I know, the service that pulls the luggage at the airport does not do any cross reference checking with DME to see if you have actually checked-in with DME and physically got on the bus.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:17 PM   #32
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
The official answer from Disney is that you CANNOT do this -- but almost everyone I've talked to that has attempted to do it has done it successfully. As far as I know, the service that pulls the luggage at the airport does not do any cross reference checking with DME to see if you have actually checked-in with DME and physically got on the bus.
Correct. Two separate entities at work. What if you stop for lunch? Or are waiting on family/friends on another flight? You may not go straight to DME check in. They arenít making sure youíve checked in before they pull your bags, they just do it.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:29 PM   #33
cedel47
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
Good to know. We were thinking about renting a car on our next trip in Nov. May have think about trying this now.
cedel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #34
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Can this be done? Will Disney still send your checked bags to the resort if you choose not to use the DME bus even though you would have signed up for it?

For example:
I signup for DME for my inbound flight.
Take alternate means (rental, uber/lyft, or car service) to get to the resort and do not sign in for DME.

Does DME still send my luggage to the resort in this scenario? Ideally this is the best approach as you wont have to wait for luggage and wont have to wait for DME bus.

It works for going home I can go down to bell services and have them send my luggage to the airport without using DME.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Correct. Two separate entities at work. What if you stop for lunch? Or are waiting on family/friends on another flight? You may not go straight to DME check in. They arenít making sure youíve checked in before they pull your bags, they just do it.
Quote:
Good to know. We were thinking about renting a car on our next trip in Nov. May have think about trying this now.
The issue is that if something happens to your bags, Disney won't help you if you didn't get on the bus. You won't know if your bags went missing until you're at the resort and they didn't show up after many hours. You would have to go back to the airport and deal with the airline yourself.

If you got on the bus, Disney would handle the missing bag claim and work with the airline.

Disney/Mears have to staff based on how many people are supposed to get on the bus. They aren't going to be happy paying for empty seats, nor are they going to be happy paying for luggage service for someone who didn't get on the bus (and thus wasn't willing to be a Disney captive).

If this were a permitted policy - many people wouldn't get in the bus, making bus management impossible to manage.

Dirk