home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-17-2018, 03:03 PM   #11
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac0712 View Post
We did this cruise on Holland America 11 years ago, and I'm sure things will have changed since then, but we did not enjoy the HAL experience. We are a youngish family, their kids' programs were mediocre (not very many kids on this cruise despite it being summer), and perhaps being part the HAL brand as well as the destination, the average age on the boat was mid60s. The ship was tired and the crew not engaging. This was not what we'd expected having cruised before on Disney, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival (so we understand adjusting expectations based on lines and ship age, price, etc). I realize some people may love HAL and have experiences that make it the perfect line for them. This was our only experience and we decided it just wasn't for us again.
HAL is great but is definitely the older crowd.....not recommended for people under 60-65.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:08 PM   #12
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
We want to go in May 2019. Is it better to book a year out or are prices better towards the end of the year? I know booking other cruises are a little different than booking a Disney cruise.
!
Book out, not closer to your sail date.

There is only a few months of cruise dates available and those ships tend to book up. The cheapest prices are early May and September. But there are downsides to booking to early and late in the season.

To early and the Glaciers are barely thawed and you might not get too close to the ice, plus no calving. Too late and the ice has recessed to far and no calving. Middle of summer and all the kids are out of school.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #13
AnnaS
Grand Villa

This is also in our future - 2020 to be exact. Interested in responses also.
May 2019 - OKW

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:56 PM   #14
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaS View Post
This is also in our future - 2020 to be exact. Interested in responses also.
Same for us.....Sometime in the next three years.

Next year is already filling up, but 2020 is looking good.

In 2021 we are planning to go back to Italy for our Anniversary.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:17 PM   #15
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Talking Princess

Robin helped my family to Alaska early August on Princess. We had a blast, and enjoyed it so much that we went twice (and want to go again once funds improve- LOL).

Princess boat got up really close to see glacier bay.

Definitely get at least once cabin with a balcony. We took turns, and got second cabins on inside.

Worked out well.

Best, Goldi
goldilocks_63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:28 PM   #16
AnnaS
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Same for us.....Sometime in the next three years.

Next year is already filling up, but 2020 is looking good.

In 2021 we are planning to go back to Italy for our Anniversary.
Hubby wants to go to Italy this summer - the only thing/reason why we probably won't go is because this chicken might not get on a plane for such a long flight!!! It has been 10 years since we flew to Barcelona (I fly 2 - 4 hour flights but barely).
May 2019 - OKW

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:41 PM   #17
ilphil
Studio

We did the Norwegian Pearl to Alaska in May of 2016.
The day in Glacier Bay was incredible. Calving may be better later in the season but we saw plenty in May.
The Pearl is a nice enough ship, but it isn't Disney. Service in the restaurants was comparable to a decent local restaurant, not the over the top outstanding service we expect and generally get from Disney.

A big factor for us (besides Glacier Bay) was the fact that a stateroom with balcony for my wife and I plus an inside stateroom across the hall for my daughter and mother in law was half the price of 1 stateroom with veranda for 4 on DCL. Plus for us flying into Seattle was a lot cheaper than Vancouver.

We would definitely do Alaska again on the Pearl.
ilphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:44 PM   #18
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Tom, is your wife still a travel agent? If so I would love for her to book our cruise. I know she’s had health issues so thought I would ask.

Any travel agent recommendations? This is probably a trip I would need an experienced agent to work with.

Husband wants to spend a couple of days on land. So not sure if we should do land first then cruise?

Definitely want a balcony. Since I don’t know these other ships I definitely will need advice!

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:46 PM   #19
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks_63 View Post
Robin helped my family to Alaska early August on Princess. We had a blast, and enjoyed it so much that we went twice (and want to go again once funds improve- LOL).

Princess boat got up really close to see glacier bay.

Definitely get at least once cabin with a balcony. We took turns, and got second cabins on inside.

Worked out well.

Best, Goldi
Good to hear! Hope Robin is still in the business! Sounds like she did a great job

Old 01-17-2018, 07:21 PM   #20
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Some of the other cruise lines offer sales like drink packages or specialty dining. Are there times in the year these specials are offered?