home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Photography and Technology
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-02-2018, 08:20 PM   #11
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Go pro is good in day light situation for videos. Good cell phone can take pictures 80-90% of the time. If you can work with this two combo you do need to lug around dSLR. Sony mirrorless is good if you can work with kit lenses, moment you want fast lenses cost goes thru the roof. My 2 cents.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:13 PM   #12
jw8774
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Thank you all for you help! I think I will be lugging my DSLR around, I don't want to miss a good shot of my grandson!
jw8774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:22 AM   #13
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw8774 View Post
Thank you for the suggestion! I will definitely check the Sony out. My DSLR does amazing videos but when we are hiking it stays safely in my pack, the quality is better than my Gopro but the durability is the main reason I use it for videos hiking.
I switched from Canon 6D (full-frame) to Sony a6500 (crop, mirrorless) and I won't even look back. With the right lenses and planning shots, I can get any photo with a crop that I would want to get with a full-frame and the Sony gear cut my weight factor in half. As I review older photos from Canon crop cameras (40D, T2i, 70D) before I went to the 6D, I was quite pleased with them so the initial switch was more because of "gear envy" rather than actual need, and it was not the right decision for me.

The breaking point for me was our Disneyland trip in 2016. I basically left the 6D in the resort most days because I just didn't feel like dealing with it. I was extremely pleased with the iPhone photos I was able to take, though I was definitely limited. I just had to be more intentional with my shots and work creatively within the limitations of essentially a fixed-aperture 28mm prime lens on a camera that works best in ample lighting.

Quote:
Thank you all for you help! I think I will be lugging my DSLR around, I don't want to miss a good shot of my grandson!
For the long term, if the weight of the gear is getting to you, I'd look seriously at mirrorless. I was able to fund about 80% of my new gear by selling all of my old gear on eBay.

The Sony a6500 is awesome and blows away nearly any crop-factor dSLR. If full-frame is your think the Sony aIII is getting fantastic reviews. For me, the weight savings wasn't enough to justify the switch from Canon to Sony full-frame, though I might have re-though that if I had waited for the aIII to come out.

The Fuji XT2 is also an amazing camera and Fuji seems to be more committed to ASPC size sensors. There is some concern that Sony may be focusing (pun intended) more energy on full-frame. This is mostly apparent in the limited selection/quality of their ASPC lenses, though you can use full-foam lenses on their ASPC cameras as well.

I've basically limited myself to Zeiss co-branded Sony lenses and Sigma primes (which are outstanding).

At the end of the day, the best camera is the one you have with you, so go with whatever you are most likely to have with you! (Just don't forget the cellphone as an option if you have a newer model).

Dirk
Old 07-03-2018, 08:29 AM   #14
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Because it is smaller and easy to carry. I am not 100% sold on taking it instead of my DSLR just wanting to see if anyone has and if the pictures were any good. I have used it at Yellowstone, Zion, and the Grand Canyon but I only used it for video I used my DSLR too for stills.
Another thought if you don't want to ditch the camera, think about what lenses you want for the day and take only 1 on the camera and maybe 1 extra as you go into the parks.

For instance, I generally use my 24-105 equivalent as a walk-around in all parks plus my 70-300 equivalent into AK for animal shots. That way, I'm not constantly changing lenses and my gear is lighter.

Other days, I decide I'll shoot wide-angle exclusively (especially at Epcot or DHS) and then also use it for creative and unique portraits with family members.

The nice thing about reducing your gear by limiting yourself to one lens is that it lets you see the same scenes you've shot dozens of times at Disney in new ways, which makes everything feel fresh and new all over again.

Dirk
Old 07-03-2018, 11:25 AM   #15
PSULion22
Grand Villa

I shoot video for events as a side job on weekends.

We just recently switched from Canon (mostly 5D markiii, and 6D) gear to Sony mirrorless (a6500 and a7iii). Quite honestly, the Sony gear is better in every possible way than the Canons. It's lighter, smaller, has better image quality (in video anyway), significantly better autofocus, better low light image quality, better image stabilization, auto white balance, far better battery life, touch screen focus functions, and other things. We even still use some of the Canon glass that we had with an adapter. The autofocus doesn't work, but that's ok for what we use it for, mostly telephoto on a tripod.

We also often work with a world-class photography company. They just switched from Canon to Fuji, as Dirk mentioned, but the full frame version. It has the same benefits over the Canon above, but had some other features they liked better (I don't remember what).
PSULion22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:30 AM   #16
aznosredna
Two Bedroom

Why not both? I mount a GoPro Hero5 Session on top of my Canon T3i using a housing case I got from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016ZDIE80/). That allows me to take pictures and video at the same time.

But I usually have 1 to two more cameras on me at anytime in the parks. I always have a Narrative Clip 2 that takes a pic every 30 seconds. I have a LEO grade bodycam that I take frequently also, but usually only have it on during rides or tours.

Security loves me when they make me go through the metal detectors
aznosredna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:24 PM   #17
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznosredna View Post
Why not both? I mount a GoPro Hero5 Session on top of my Canon T3i using a housing case I got from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016ZDIE80/). That allows me to take pictures and video at the same time.

But I usually have 1 to two more cameras on me at anytime in the parks. I always have a Narrative Clip 2 that takes a pic every 30 seconds. I have a LEO grade bodycam that I take frequently also, but usually only have it on during rides or tours.

Security loves me when they make me go through the metal detectors
I think OP's intent was to lighten her load, not add to it!

Dirk