home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old Today, 02:25 PM   #1661
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'rer Karen View Post
I think the previous posters were speaking to putting the murphy bed in the 1 bedroom at OKW. I know it wouldn't have worked in the 1 BR we had last fall. The wall that the couch is on has windows behind it, the wall opposite is the kitchen, the third wall has a window and the door to the patio\balcony. And I think the fourth wall wouldn't work because it would put the couch in an odd spot, and it might block the adjoining door to the studio.
Oh, yeah. I see your point on the 1 BR. It totally wouldn't work at all. I do love the 1 BR floorpan, though. For a couple, and for the cheaper points, it would be a great place to be for a 1 BR stay. For anybody on the sofa bed, not so much.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:27 PM   #1662
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
Aah, see, and that is I like the OKW studio, because John and I both get our own bed. I agree about the rest of the room, but having my own bed trumps everything else about that room in my book. But, we seldom stay in studios anyway.
Jim and I have done the same thing. Our first OKW visit I had a cold. Our second, I had several AFib episodes, so it was just easier to toss and turn in my own bed. Fortunately, all of that is behind me.

I'm fairly certain our experience with a King bed at CCV is going to cause Jim to make me upgrade all future stays to 1 Bedrooms. Maybe I'll put him in the Murphy bed in our next stay.

Dirk

Old Today, 02:30 PM   #1663
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I'm not sure if there would be a revolt if they removed the second bed.

I do love OKW but we haven't done studios there in a long time. I'd love if the 1 bedrooms could have that murphy bed instead of fold out couch.
I do appreciate that there is a generally easy to book studio option with two beds in the DVC system. I just wish we liked the studios and pools more at OKW.

Yeah, I'm sure that sofa bed is a killer. I noticed they have a sleep chair, too. I wonder if that is more comfortable than the sofa bed for a single person, or is that more child sized?

I just don't see how they could do a Murphy bed, though.

Dirk

Old Today, 03:10 PM   #1664
B'rer Karen
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Oh, yeah. I see your point on the 1 BR. It totally wouldn't work at all. I do love the 1 BR floorpan, though. For a couple, and for the cheaper points, it would be a great place to be for a 1 BR stay. For anybody on the sofa bed, not so much.

Dirk
Oh yeah, we adored our stay last fall. DH said he would stay there every time. Truly felt like home for the whole week.

WDW:Offsite '85, Offsite '90, Offsite '96, DI '00, DI '01, S/D Nov. '01, POR Sept. '02, CBR Mar. '03, S/D June '03, CBR Sept. '03, CBR Oct. '03, OKW Feb. '04, SSR/OKW Oct. '04, OKW Mar. '05, SSR Sept. '05, SSR Oct. '06, SSR Mar '07, SSR Oct. '07, SSR Oct. '08, SSR Oct. '09, AKV Feb '10, BCV Oct. '10, AKV Feb '11, BCV Oct. '11, VWL Feb '12, BCV Oct. '12, AKV Feb '13, BCV Oct. '13, AKV Feb '14, VGF/Disney Dream/BWV Oct '14, SSR Feb '15, AKV Oct '15, BLT Mar '16, SSR Feb '17, Poly Oct '17, SSR Feb '18, OKW Oct, '18
DL: May '00, Mar. '06,
B'rer Karen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:30 PM   #1665
RweTHEREyet
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Jim and I have done the same thing. Our first OKW visit I had a cold. Our second, I had several AFib episodes, so it was just easier to toss and turn in my own bed. Fortunately, all of that is behind me.

I'm fairly certain our experience with a King bed at CCV is going to cause Jim to make me upgrade all future stays to 1 Bedrooms. Maybe I'll put him in the Murphy bed in our next stay.

Dirk
It is so easy to get spoiled with that 1-bedroom and it is now very hard for me to consider a studio stay for anything more than one night when we might be arriving late and then moving to a larger unit the next morning. John is up long before I am and the living room gives him a place to go and be on his computer while I get my beauty sleep.

RweTHEREyet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:33 PM   #1666
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I do appreciate that there is a generally easy to book studio option with two beds in the DVC system. I just wish we liked the studios and pools more at OKW.

Yeah, I'm sure that sofa bed is a killer. I noticed they have a sleep chair, too. I wonder if that is more comfortable than the sofa bed for a single person, or is that more child sized?

I just don't see how they could do a Murphy bed, though.

Dirk
We love the main pool at OKW honestly. Turtle Pond too, but HH more! I love owning so we can book HH and then request Peninsular. Most want the closer rooms but we love 23-26

I forgot to check out the sleeper chair when we last stayed. We are at BLT in a couple months so I will try to see how that works there.

They could enclose windows or change the layout at OKW to work, but it wouldn't be easy.
Old Today, 04:39 PM   #1667
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
We love the main pool at OKW honestly. Turtle Pond too, but HH more! I love owning so we can book HH and then request Peninsular. Most want the closer rooms but we love 23-26

I forgot to check out the sleeper chair when we last stayed. We are at BLT in a couple months so I will try to see how that works there.

They could enclose windows or change the layout at OKW to work, but it wouldn't be easy.
Given the age of the resort, that wouldn't be likely.

I did see Turtle Pond pool and think I would like it more. Our sole summer stay was at Southpoint. While I liked the depth of the pool, that was about it.

I will also only stay at OKW if we have our own car. The bus back-ups can be brutal! But I love the vibe and Olivia's. Their Quick Services leaves a lot to be desired.

Dirk

Old Today, 05:43 PM   #1668
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Given the age of the resort, that wouldn't be likely.

I did see Turtle Pond pool and think I would like it more. Our sole summer stay was at Southpoint. While I liked the depth of the pool, that was about it.

I will also only stay at OKW if we have our own car. The bus back-ups can be brutal! But I love the vibe and Olivia's. Their Quick Services leaves a lot to be desired.

Dirk
The redoing the layout is the best guess. Move the bed to a different wall and rearrange the furniture a little. They have a sofa, love seat, and chair unlike other 1 bedrooms. The could ditch the love seat if needed.

South Point is quiet, but that is all it has going for it. Pretty much all other areas are better IMO. I know you had bus back up but to us that's still an unseen phenomenon. We do prefer Peninsular HH so we can get on at HH and off at Peninsular.

I don't get the dislike of the QS though. It actually has expanded and definitely better than some locations. Better than BW and BC at least. Though I did appreciate some of the sandwich offerings. It has improved as it was the last few years. But I have heard there is going to be some changes to food so I do hope it's even healthier.
Old Today, 05:43 PM   #1669
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
OKW was already designed, budgeted and under way before Disney made that announcement. Next refurb is in 7 years, but I am assuming that will be more of a soft refurb. And with 23 years left on its 2042 expiration, you have to wonder what level of refurbs will be performed going forward?
The ground lease for OKW was extended until 2057.
Old Today, 06:00 PM   #1670
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxFLBear View Post
The ground lease for OKW was extended until 2057.
Yep - and from what I've been reading they will have enough owners to care about refurbishing right.
Though in reality having any owners means they should really care - especially if needing to rent out what they haven't resold as 2052 contracts. They've been taking back more 2042 contracts this year than usual. At the rate they are going, they can buy back and resell before 2042 even comes up - at least a good portion.