home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-16-2019, 08:48 AM   #31
John2247
Two Bedroom

We routinely did two trips per year, normally Spring or Summer and then Christmas time when our grandchildren were young (under 10). But the past few years we have limited ourselves to once a year or a long trip (10+nights) every 18 months or so.

Four trips in one year would be a little too much.

John
Old 03-16-2019, 09:51 AM   #32
Themag5
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I am debating whether or not to take our 4th trip this year. We have a BLT + Universal trip scheduled in May, right before our annual pass for both expires. It makes sense financially for me to go now, then take a year off. Plus, I would like to use our passes one more time, but my husband is over it lol. Still have a few weeks to decide. I am hoping he will change his mind!!
Old 03-16-2019, 10:11 AM   #33
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themag5 View Post
I am debating whether or not to take our 4th trip this year. We have a BLT + Universal trip scheduled in May, right before our annual pass for both expires. It makes sense financially for me to go now, then take a year off. Plus, I would like to use our passes one more time, but my husband is over it lol. Still have a few weeks to decide. I am hoping he will change his mind!!
We did have a lot of fun with our friends and family, but my DH was definitely "over it" as well. I wish I could tell you he had the time of his life, but he kept telling me on the trip how he wasn't going back to Disney for a long time after this. It was his friend's family who joined us as well as his mom and her husband. He said, "I had fun, but I wouldn't have come on this trip if they weren't here because we were just here a few months ago." He didn't go on the January trip and hadn't been since October. I am definitely the Disney lover of the two of us. He does like theme parks, but all the fast passes, early mornings, etc. just aren't him at all. I've asked him if he just wants to "wing it" and plan less when we go, and he said no because then we would stand in lines for everything and wouldn't get to eat where we like.

I think Disney and US are just for some people once a year or once every few years. For others, we could go a handful of times a year and have a blast. He let me buy all these points so that he can go hunting and fishing while I go to Disney without any arguments. To each his or her own...
Old 03-16-2019, 10:15 AM   #34
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

I understand that feeling. We did 4 trips the last time we had our APs, The 3rd trip was a last minute jump in the car kind of trip, (3 days planning) , so that one was totally different. We did lots of stuff we'd never done. Our fatigue comes from that drive. We always drive. it's between 11-13 hours depending on traffic, weather , etc. so that makes us weary.
Haven't been back since May, 2018, BUT I just insisted we do Universal at Thanksgiving. we LOVE Universal. So got our theme park fix there.
Also , we' got APs at Dollywood, which is only 3-4 hrs away, and hope to get some short trips in , so that'll hold us over until we start our 'year of Disney' this fall.
but I totally get the Disney fatigue
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:26 AM   #35
bakerworld
Grand Villa

The spouse loves Florida, me not so much, but I do enjoy WDW living (= less garbage, no slums, no rabid dogs/cats, no beach garbage) and try to visit when it is not so hot (emphasis on the try as this year we're going late June:cruise and August: Dolphin). When we finally booted the 'kids' from our vacations we established an annual 3 vacation habit to WDW. Consequently joining DVC was a compromise on location and 'lets buy a vacation home' . I find my optimal nights per stay is 5 - although the cruises require more because Dan refuses to fly in the same day as the cruise.

We've gone as much as 4 times a year - which I will do this year because there's a girls trip in there - but we don't grow tired of WDW. We stay different venues, don't always visit the parks and each time we try to incorporate something new. I have to admit just eliminating the kids really upgraded the whole vacation experience.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #36
Adelard of Bath
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
I have to admit just eliminating the kids really upgraded the whole vacation experience.
Just so you don't feel like you are the only one, I agree - actually, we don't have any kids, but one year we brought extended family, which included a large pile of kids...um...three kids, a toddler, and a baby, along with seven adults - I feel it downgraded the vacation.

The kids were crabby, the parents were mad at the kids, the parents were mad at each other, my wife was trying to plan large family activities and meals...

Then they all left, we stayed another week by ourselves, and got some of that vacation back
Adelard of Bath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:31 PM   #37
bakerworld
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelard of Bath View Post
Just so you don't feel like you are the only one, I agree - actually, we don't have any kids, but one year we brought extended family, which included a large pile of kids...um...three kids, a toddler, and a baby, along with seven adults - I feel it downgraded the vacation.

The kids were crabby, the parents were mad at the kids, the parents were mad at each other, my wife was trying to plan large family activities and meals...

Then they all left, we stayed another week by ourselves, and got some of that vacation back
Old 03-16-2019, 05:40 PM   #38
broganmc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelard of Bath View Post

Anytime you add people outside your normal group, there's going to be stress. When you add in people who have different priorities (little kids want to eat, sleep and play with whatever toy they have in their hands). There is the visual magic that happens to entertain kids. Spinning lights, seeing characters in real life, walking into Cinderella's Castle. Gradechool boys can spend hours just playing around Tom Sawyer Island.

But a child under 5 is not going to behave exactly the way you want or predict. Babies and toddlers don't understand all the disruption to their normal eat, sleep, play schedules.

I usually recommend people with young kids to sip Disney Parks instead of commando. Go for a few hours in the morning or after the morning nap, like you would take them to a local museum or Discovery Center. Then spend a lot of time at the pool play areas. On special nights go for an early dinner. Assuming the child is up to it, throw in a character experience and fireworks show.

But the ideal age to bring kids to Disney or any theme park is probably 8-12. (Could be 6 or 7 if it's a precocious child.) Once they are into their teens they are so much cooler without you. Go with it. Let them have their freedom and go on adventures (with a sibling, cousin or friend). Insist they meet you for big events like meals and fireworks. Maybe a ride you all love.

I've just finished up 2 weeks with various members of my brother's family. It was go-go-go all the time. We did split up and I'd go in later some days, but I am exhausted. What I miss most is traveling with my dad. He had my laid back style. While I do enjoy going on rides, I also enjoy just strolling thru the park, crowd surfing, enjoying the views, catching some shows and browsing.

Sorry you had a rough time of it. Sounds like the parents thought they could have their cake and eat it too. Adult vacation with friends and parent vacation with kids. That only ever works if all the adults are close to the kids and you're dividing parental responsibilities. So it's 2 parents and 5 drop-in babysitters who are beloved "aunts" and "uncles".

That is the only reason why my big family vacations ever worked as the kids were growing up. My siblings and I are close so we have a close relationship with each other's kids.

Florida March 3-23 (Cypress Harbour 3-16, Bay Lake 17-23)
broganmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:07 AM   #39
GiantsNiners11
Grand Villa

This happens to us at WDW too. We just take a year or two off.

Surprisingly, it doesnít happen at Disneyland. Shorter trips and changing seasons with overlays and a more consistent, less travel heavy trip must have something to do with always seeming fresh even after a few weeks returning.
ďToo many people grow up. That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up. They forget. They don't remember what it's like to be 12 years old. They patronize, they treat children as inferiors. Well I won't do that.Ē ~Walt Disney

Me(34) DW(33) DD(5)
GiantsNiners11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:50 AM   #40
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantsNiners11 View Post
This happens to us at WDW too. We just take a year or two off.

Surprisingly, it doesnít happen at Disneyland. Shorter trips and changing seasons with overlays and a more consistent, less travel heavy trip must have something to do with always seeming fresh even after a few weeks returning.
I completely agree about VGC. Itís so nice to just figure out what you want to ride the day of rather than 60 or more days out. The only dining ressie we make is Napa Rose. We did the Arielís Grotto breakfast one time too.