home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Wining & Dining
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-15-2019, 03:26 PM   #31
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I find it helps if you define "money's worth" as a meal you enjoy at a quality you value, rather than the amount on the plate.

Of course, that assumes "quality you value," which is hard to come by at some WDW places, but easier at others!

If nothing else it allows one to have the majority of what you like vs a plate with a bite that is good and the rest very mediocre. Or I enjoy having a sampler meal for a change. A bite or two of a few items. I don't really aim for buffets but they can be a nice change just for variety.

Quote:
I do like roasted carrots, but I also enjoyed the baked beans as a barbecue treat. I'm now more convinced we'll just hang out at Geyser Point QS when we stay and dine at CCV/WL.
Sometimes the locations continue to have items that they did in the past - such as BBQ beans - even though they aren't standard on the menu.

I like them too and having them with BBQ when out is the only time I have them. I also like carrots but would like to have beans with BBQ. I wouldn't be surprised that it gets changed or there's an option. It's almost one of those expected items that I think they may have a hard time changing.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:26 PM   #32
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I find it helps if you define "money's worth" as a meal you enjoy at a quality you value, rather than the amount on the plate.

Of course, that assumes "quality you value," which is hard to come by at some WDW places, but easier at others! Honestly, since they've plussed the skillets a bit, I'm less likely to order them. I like basic barbecue sweetness when I do barbecue (our SC mustard/vinegar sour/sweet). Chipotle only works for me in some instances.
I'm hard-pressed that an AYCE would be the quality meal that gives a "money's worth" with reasonable portions.

Plus, I'm of an ethnic heritage that makes me inherently cheap. So, if I pay AYCE, I will eat too much...but that's my issue and not necessarily endemic to AYCE

Cheers.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:02 PM   #33
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
I'm hard-pressed that an AYCE would be the quality meal that gives a "money's worth" with reasonable portions.

Plus, I'm of an ethnic heritage that makes me inherently cheap. So, if I pay AYCE, I will eat too much...but that's my issue and not necessarily endemic to AYCE

Cheers.
I am not going to generalize AYCE. I can only say that I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food. As a Texan, I was extraordinarily skeptical that I would like anything. I was pleasantly surprised and everyone (all Texans) enjoyed the meal. Smokey, flavorful. Good quality food. $33 good? no, but then again, you can say the same thing at virtually every Disney location. There is a premium to eating at Disney.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:05 PM   #34
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealvarado8899 View Post
I am not going to generalize AYCE. I can only say that I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food. As a Texan, I was extraordinarily skeptical that I would like anything. I was pleasantly surprised and everyone (all Texans) enjoyed the meal. Smokey, flavorful. Good quality food. $33 good? no, but then again, you can say the same thing at virtually every Disney location. There is a premium to eating at Disney.
Coming from you, this means a lot. If Texans are pleasantly surprised by a BBQ joint, that sings high praise. But, yeah, $33 for the portion size that I would want to eat (even for Texas-quality BBQ) is high. Still, good to know that the quality is there.

Cheers.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:00 PM   #35
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
They have a "smokehouse" on property at WL although I didn't know if they actually used it or not. Maybe they do? A little hard to believe but maybe.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:36 AM   #36
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
They have a "smokehouse" on property at WL although I didn't know if they actually used it or not. Maybe they do? A little hard to believe but maybe.
They do. We went to a F&W demo done by the head chef and smoker at WL. It was a lovely coffee and spice crusted brisket. Since then (and really based on that recipe) we've gotten a smoker and made that same brisket twice. Brisket is, from what I've read, the most challenging thing to smoke, but well worth the time and effort. And this recipe was great.

Cheers.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:48 AM   #37
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
They do. We went to a F&W demo done by the head chef and smoker at WL. It was a lovely coffee and spice crusted brisket. Since then (and really based on that recipe) we've gotten a smoker and made that same brisket twice. Brisket is, from what I've read, the most challenging thing to smoke, but well worth the time and effort. And this recipe was great.

Cheers.
Yum! Brisket is the best from the smoker. Need to get that recipe. DH is going to smoke ribs today. Looking forward to them.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:51 AM   #38
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Quote:
that's how we approach 'Louisiana-inspired' food. I just look at it like it's going to be a different experience than what it really is. Like it can still be good, but it will just be different. I have a very hard time finding any place that makes shrimp the right way. and rice dishes. VERY few places out of Louisiana, or coastal cities like Mobile get it right

Same thing now with 'country/Southern food, ' We live near Nashville, lots of places to get good fried chicken. So haven't sought out Homecomin' in DS, not because we think it'll disappoint, but because we can get stuff like that here.
VERY glad to know Texans approve of the BBQ there. We may have to try it. (lots of good BBQ in TN too)
Old 03-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #39
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion54 View Post
The good thing about buffets or AYCE are variety for picky eaters. It usually not about quality although Disney has improved the food quality lately which they should for the cost they charge. WC is a fun place and the food is good. Trail's End is good too but it very difficult to get to unless your at Ft. Wilderness. We enjoyed walking the trails to get to dinner the time we went. Saw some campers mocking some deer and then freaking out as the deer went charging them. Highlight of the night!
Agree. DS is very picky, but he'll eat just about any kind of meat, so carving stations, etc are always good. however, he eats about a half a plate, so honestly, since the 'kids' are both over 10, we just cant' justify any of the Disney buffet prices. Trails End does sound like a good one though. and more affordable in a great environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post

If nothing else it allows one to have the majority of what you like vs a plate with a bite that is good and the rest very mediocre. Or I enjoy having a sampler meal for a change. A bite or two of a few items. I don't really aim for buffets but they can be a nice change just for variety.

Sometimes the locations continue to have items that they did in the past - such as BBQ beans - even though they aren't standard on the menu.

I like them too and having them with BBQ when out is the only time I have them. I also like carrots but would like to have beans with BBQ. I wouldn't be surprised that it gets changed or there's an option. It's almost one of those expected items that I think they may have a hard time changing.
That's how I approach buffets. Like at Akershus. I know what I like and don't , and just get a goodly amt of what I like. Cape May...I only do crab legs, mussels, maybe salmon, and desserts, but lots of plates of each of those. Boma ,there are probably 5-6 things I get, and that's it, but I enjoy a couple plates of the food I like,
Old 03-16-2019, 10:57 AM   #40
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimom3 View Post
that's how we approach 'Louisiana-inspired' food. I just look at it like it's going to be a different experience than what it really is. Like it can still be good, but it will just be different. I have a very hard time finding any place that makes shrimp the right way. and rice dishes. VERY few places out of Louisiana, or coastal cities like Mobile get it right
We go to NoLA every year for Jazz Fest. We have a friend who lives there, so can usually find some very good Louisiana-inspired food away from the more touristy locations. Also, they have local chefs doing (free- hear that, Disney) cooking demos at Fest, so we learn a lot....mostly, "ok, start with a roux..."

But we don't really seek Louisiana-inspired food outside of the area.

Cheers.