home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-11-2018, 05:10 PM   #21
administrator
Ms. Personality

I think the emphasis on distance is an interesting and obviously, a matter of perspective.

Yes, some of the hallways at Kidani can be long, but really no more so than at BWV.

Let's be honest: when you are at Disney and are not disabled, you should expect to *walk.* Personally, even though I have enough spinal and neurological issues that I've had two spinal fusion surgeries and a spinal cord stimulator implanted on 12/19/17, I'm grateful that I'm able to walk from the farthest end of Kidani all the way to Jambo House to enjoy dinners at Jiko and breakfasts at Boma. To each his own, however.
administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #22
JudieHopps
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
I think the emphasis on distance is an interesting and obviously, a matter of perspective.

Yes, some of the hallways at Kidani can be long, but really no more so than at BWV.

Let's be honest: when you are at Disney and are not disabled, you should expect to *walk.* Personally, even though I have enough spinal and neurological issues that I've had two spinal fusion surgeries and a spinal cord stimulator implanted on 12/19/17, I'm grateful that I'm able to walk from the farthest end of Kidani all the way to Jambo House to enjoy dinners at Jiko and breakfasts at Boma. To each his own, however.
Well said!
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:15 PM   #23
BugsDad
Grand Villa

I like them both! For studios I prefer Jambo. One bedroom and above I'd definitely do Kidani.

BugsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:29 PM   #24
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

I honestly couldn't agree more. Sorry about your spinal surgeries. Quite a few in my family have had them and I'm working to do everything I can to avoid it.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:21 PM   #25
Hi from RI
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
we only stayed one night at Kidani in a 1 BR -- we absolutely loved the room and savannah views, but dear god, our room was practically at the end of the hallway. It took FOREVER to get to the lobby. I can't imagine trying to fill up a resort mug there. And there was a lot of noise from the hallways.

If I could get a room close to the lobby, I'd love it. But I have no plans to stay there again b/c I just can't handle the prospect of lugging my suitcase that far again.

I might feel differently if I stayed longer, but we literally had to lug suitcases to our room and then back to the lobby within 14 hours since we didn't check-in until around 6 pm and then left at 8 am the next morning. So my experience was:

Arrive at 6 and check in;
trek 15 minutes with two suitcases, rolling on carpet no less, to my room (those hallways feel like they just keep going and going and going);
shower and get ready for 8 pm dinner;
walk 15 minutes back to lobby and then head to Jambo (via foot) for dinner;
wait 40 minutes to be seated despite having reservation (they apparently forgot about us);
hang out in Jambo lobby for a little bit;
walk back to Kidani and then make long journey to room;
crash for evening around 11 pm;
wake up at 5 am and watch the savannah come to life (best part of the stay);
pack up lug suitcases back to bell services around 7:30 or so.

So in a period of 14 hours at the resort (including 6 hours of sleep), we spent about an hour or so just walking to and from our room and the Kidani lobby.

I do agree....and yes one expects to walk a lot in Disney. The hallways there feel long.......even at BWV I've been on the long end too but doesn't feel as long..maybe because the hallways twist and turn at BWV???? Did like kidani room a lot but when we forgot something in room while at pool wasn't going back even my kids who like walking a lot.....

ME ,DH , DS23 , DD21 , DD13
Hi from RI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:43 PM   #26
ajc
Grand Villa

We love Jambo for the grand lobby (note the design for Polynesian and Wilderness lodge is similar - I have been told the design replication is related to hurricane proof structural integrity), the gift shop selections, the pool and flamingos, and the value studios and value one bedroom.
Hallways at Kidani are long and lobby is small. You can use pools at both facilities and the extra bathroom is useful but even the value studios have 2 bathroom sinks.
Dining choices and Mara are easy access.
The spa at Jambo is nice with steam, sauna, and nice showers if you need more space for AM prep.
Jambo is our first choice.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:03 AM   #27
bradybunch
One Bedroom

Thanks again for all your advice!! So valuable to hear your opinions and experiences. I feel like we’ll be lucky to stay at either.

I love the feel of Jambo House (not been to Kidani yet). If we can book at Jambo House how practical is it to go to the pool at Kidani? I know my younger kids will love the pool/water play area there! Walking over there with 3 younger kids (3, 4, 6) will take a stroller to haul bags and pool toys.

Thanks again!
bradybunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #28
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradybunch View Post
Thanks again for all your advice!! So valuable to hear your opinions and experiences. I feel like we’ll be lucky to stay at either.

I love the feel of Jambo House (not been to Kidani yet). If we can book at Jambo House how practical is it to go to the pool at Kidani? I know my younger kids will love the pool/water play area there! Walking over there with 3 younger kids (3, 4, 6) will take a stroller to haul bags and pool toys.

Thanks again!
I find it takes less than 10 minutes door to door. With little ones it'll take a bit longer. It's not the prettiest walk but it's fine. You could always get the shuttle bus over if it was waiting when you leave Jambo. The entrance to the pool is right across the road from the Kidani lobby.
Nickys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:53 PM   #29
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:

Some people's "long walk" is another's "stroll". The walk to my kids' Primary School was around 15 minutes, depending on how fast we walked. (We walked to from the lobby to the end of Kidani's hall in less than 10).

Probably explains why my boys never once complained of too much walking in the parks, even on our first visit at 6 and 9. On that same vacation staying at the BC, we heard one dad saying to his wife that it was "too long a walk" to Epcot. My 6 year old turned to me and said "has he got the right park mum?"
Nickys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #30
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradybunch View Post

Thanks again!
I will say that's one thing I liked about Kidani. You could wait for the shuttle or just hop on the bus to get to Jambo. So if they said a wait for the shuttle and we saw a bus coming, we just got on the bus instead if we didn't want to walk.

It's not impractical to get to both from each other, but I think walking is a better option. We couldn't do that many times due to those in our crowd (slow and not easy walkers).