home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-13-2017, 11:51 AM   #31
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenda View Post
I got very close to renting this vacation for our first night. I just needed one night. I actually did contact Bob. ( this is not about renting from Bob or anyone specific just my overly cautious nature) In general I just got spooked by renting /transferring. We have rented successfully in the past and I just feel like sooner than later I may get burned and it will affect our family vacation. We are all so looking forward to this cherished time ..I just don't want to have a big negative. That being said I wonder if there is a way here on the boards where we can have a confirmation list of honest renters and honest rentees. I would rent in a minute if we just had some type of rating scale. This is a business transaction...Uber drivers are rated...restaurants are rated and on and on Mouseowners is in itself my most trusted site. How Does anyone else have feel about this?

Glenda
This idea has been brought up and discussed many, many, many, many times, and though I see your perspective, I think you have to understand how Mouseowners exists in the first place (correct me if I'm wrong Kim)...

Mouseowners is not a "for profit" venture like eBay, Uber, restaurants, or any other business that is run for a profit. Kim and Eric provide this community completely on their dime, and we thank them All the admins that assist Kim in running the board are volunteers. And really the board wasn't created for the classified section (read this link). It was created as a place for DVC owners who love Disney to discuss all things Disney and DVC. The classified section is just a piece of the board that is offered as nicety to the creation of the board's purpose, and again for those of us that do rent from time-to-time we are grateful

The classified section is provided free of charge for those that want to use it. Policing the R/T/T board would be a complete hassle for the Admins of Mouseowners-- how would the Admin of Mouseowners know if a transaction actually happened? How could they verify it? How would they know if the feedback being provided on an owner is legitimate? And what guarantee would the feedback provide you with that your transactions still might not go south unexpectedly? [these are rhetorical questions for you to ponder]

Using the R/T/T board does carry some risk and that would not change even if you could "rate" owners. My best advice is to not rent from a person that isn't an active participant on the board. If they have many post and have been on Mouseowners a long time, you can probably feel sure that person isn't on Mouseowners to "scam" someone. They are here for the reason the board was created and happen to have some points to rent, but you'll probably pay more then to a person that only has a couple of posts or no posts because they only spend time on the R/T/T board. And of course there are always brokers to rent from, but they don't always have the points/reservations that people are looking for and sometimes an individual on the board does.

I know everyone wants a deal, so renting from a lesser known person on the R/T/T board who is charging less seems wonderful. But there are plenty of other options that are safer. And if you follow the guidelines for renting posted here that's as good as it is going to get.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

Last edited by cmrdgrs; 08-13-2017 at 11:53 AM. Reason: typo
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #32
glenda
Studio

Default Renter...not sure

I do know what this site means. I am an owner and have been on here for a long long time ( Iactually had to change my user name once) so much longer than indicated. I have enjoyed the excellent administration and information and just plain fun about Disney provided on this site. I do not have enough points to rent out and am always needing more due to size of my family. In todays climate it just takes once to be scammed. I was just trying to find a way that would improve the quality of an already excellent experience. This is not a for profit site In most rental transactions on the board but it is possible to be scammed . There can be no guarantees ...quality ratings would only be provided by the renters and rentees and of course not the administrator. Perhaps we could have a reference category.(or thread) Again nothing can be guaranteed but its ok to try to make an already great situation even better.

Just thinking

Glenda
glenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #33
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
I do know what this site means. I am an owner and have been on here for a long long time ( Iactually had to change my user name once) so much longer than indicated. I have enjoyed the excellent administration and information and just plain fun about Disney provided on this site. I do not have enough points to rent out and am always needing more due to size of my family. In todays climate it just takes once to be scammed. I was just trying to find a way that would improve the quality of an already excellent experience. This is not a for profit site In most rental transactions on the board but it is possible to be scammed . There can be no guarantees ...quality ratings would only be provided by the renters and rentees and of course not the administrator. Perhaps we could have a reference category.(or thread) Again nothing can be guaranteed but its ok to try to make an already great situation even better.

Just thinking

Glenda
I had brought this up once before as well, and was shot down pretty quick. That said, I suspect the forum software does not have the rating feature and is thus not an easy thing to implement. Clearly makes no sense attempting a manual process, so it appear ratings are not an option at the moment.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:30 PM   #34
glenda
Studio

Default A rating dilemma

How about just a thread where we could just post for eq.....I just rented from so and so (username) and it was flawless would recommend...or I just rented to so and so user and it went well. That would be a mild improvement and somewhat helpful.
glenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:01 PM   #35
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Though I see where you are coming from. In the end, it's a gift that people can place Ads here for no fee. It is made quite clear that if one wants to rent they must have trust in the person they are renting from. Basically do your due diligence, and then go with your gut. Renting is not for everyone and if someone is that worried about being scammed even after all the dotted 'i's' and cross 't's', then renting isn't for them.
A rating scale would be a lot of work, and many times is BS. Yelp, is known as a pay to play or pay to get great reviews. Amazon sellers will offer customers credit, free shipping returns to take down a negative review.
As far as a thread, it still can become more work for admins and moderators. Someone doesn't like, that a rentee is firm in a price or like the payment terms. They then go on and put a negative review, because they think the person should be flexible in their pricing. See where this can go.... Then the person who received the negative review contacts admin explaining what actually happened. A nightmare and more work than it's worth.
I easily know, from being on this board trusted people who rent. Though I rent myself, if there are times that I don't have home resort booking for where someone who contacts me. I will refer them, to those who I know are trusted rentee and have a good reputation. I do not know any of them personally, but from being on here know they know what they are doing, have a good reputation and are not going to scam anyone. It may not be a formal thread but basically just by reading, different threads even if one does not comment. You can pick up on 'highly rated' people.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:50 PM   #36
Daddio
Grand Villa

Smile

Quote:
How about just a thread where we could just post for eq.....I just rented from so and so (username) and it was flawless would recommend...or I just rented to so and so user and it went well. That would be a mild improvement and somewhat helpful.
This would be great for potential renters, but I must ask you a question.

First, the scenario:

Let's say you just rented from Bob Smith and had a very successful rental. You post on the board how happy you are. Ron Jones reads your recommendation and also rents from Bob Smith. Unfortunately, Bob Smith got caught up in some other financial woes and misses his maintenance payments. Ooops, Ron Jones' reservation gets cancelled and now he can't get a response from Bob Smith.

Now for the question:

Will you bear some financial responsibility for recommending Bob Smith?

I am curious as to your position.

Thanks in advance,

~ David

Last edited by Daddio; 08-14-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:26 PM   #37
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddio View Post
This would be great for potential renters, but I must ask you a question.

First, the scenario:

Let's say you just rented from Bob Smith and had a very successful rental. You post on the board how happy you are. Ron Jones reads your recommendation and also rents from Bob Smith. Unfortunately, Bob Smith got caught up in some other financial woes and misses his maintenance payments. Ooops, Ron Jones' reservation gets cancelled and now he can't get a response from Bob Smith.

Now for the question:

Will you bear some financial responsibility for recommending Bob Jones?

I am curious as to your position.

Thanks in advance,

~ David
Who is Bob Jones?

Old 08-14-2017, 08:43 AM   #38
Daddio
Grand Villa

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
Who is Bob Jones?
I always need editing
Daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:46 AM   #39
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
Who is Bob Jones?
Did you forget the incident happened about a year and half ago.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:11 AM   #40
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
Did you forget the incident happened about a year and half ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddio View Post
I always need editing
I was just teasing David. I remember, and point well taken David, that is the plus of using a broker. Kudos to your business David.

Last edited by cmrdgrs; 08-14-2017 at 10:24 AM.