home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-10-2018, 08:09 PM   #1
richviii
One Bedroom

Default Rent and Save Points or Just Borrow?

So the problem with a DEC UY is that it is easy to forget what UY you are in (IMHO). So we have pretty much blown all our 2018 UY points (which should have been used in 2019). So now I am considering renting BCV at Easter (one) make sure we get the reservation for a studio and (two) than free up our BLT points already booked with 2018 points. Is it crazy to rent to free up 18 points to not have to borrow 19 points?

Recent
2018 Jan - Swan & Dolphin, Apr - BCV, July - Disneyland 2017 Apr- BWV/BLT, Aug - VGC and Aulani, Dec - BWV & BLT 2016 Dec- BLT, Dec - Disneyland, Aug - Disney CX Summit - GF, Apr - BWV/BTL, 2015 - Nov - BWV/S&D, June - Off-Site, Apr - Contemporary/Off-Site, Feb - S&D, Jan 15 - Off-Site, 2014 - Nov - BLT, Aug - Off-Site, May - Off-Site, Mar - Off-Site, 2013 - Nov - Off-Site, Jun - Off-Site, 2012 Nov - Off-Site
richviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:15 PM   #2
Sephorin
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by richviii View Post
Is it crazy to rent to free up 18 points to not have to borrow 19 points?
Not at all! I think this is 100% rational.

However, an even better solution would be to purchase a BLT resale contract with a Dec use year and at least 300 2019 points.
Sephorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:19 PM   #3
TriciaS
Two Bedroom

My use year is December too. The last few years we have been bringing friends with us which caused us to borrow a little here and there. For our July trip we had to borrow all but 2 of our 2018 points.
Our theory is, as long as we have points to borrow, we will. At some point we'll catch up to our current use year.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:16 AM   #4
Dkg711
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Another option is to buy One Time Usage points. I think they are $17 each ($17 x 19 = $323).
Dkg711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:10 AM   #5
Leftcoaster
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkg711 View Post
Another option is to buy One Time Usage points. I think they are $17 each ($17 x 19 = $323).
I think what she means by 18 points and 19 points is the year. For example, she is talking about having to borrow 2019 points for a 2018 trip.

"Being a princess means so much more than wearing a tiara and a pretty dress" - Cinderellabration
Leftcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:34 AM   #6
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

My opinion would be to borrow your points and not rent. Plans change (at least for me) all the time, and borrowing your own points (to me) always makes more sense. Why worry about plans you haven't made yet?

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:12 AM   #7
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Always a complete borrower here. I’ll worry about that last year if I get there...
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:14 AM   #8
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
My opinion would be to borrow your points and not rent. Plans change (at least for me) all the time, and borrowing your own points (to me) always makes more sense. Why worry about plans you haven't made yet?

I transfer in points every year...If DH goes down a day early, or is going for a conference, then I might rent points since I probably will not have any
but my point is, I rent at the last minute, since I know the plans should not change -usually within two months and it is only for a night or two.
But....I hate borrowing points because that throws off my vacation for the next year...
If you are only renting one night, then I would probably rent the night.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:51 AM   #9
FessParker1
One Bedroom

I would borrow. Why pay out of pocket when you have already paid. You may get to the point where you skip a year, take one less trip or shorter trip or have a trip where you don't invite friends. You can always pay later if you need too.
FessParker1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:58 AM   #10
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Borrow and use till you can not. Then either you can rent or buy another contract.

You can also keep looking at matching pts for transfer.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote