home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-14-2017, 04:16 PM   #51
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
ebay has lots of feedback and people get scammed all the time. If you want something guaranteed, you use a service like David's which handles the risk for you.
"people get scammed all the time" comment, why do you say this. i have sold flatware on ebay for many years, recently using classified ad format to do some dvc rentals. if renter exercises prudence as suggested in the stickies here, there is no reason he/she should be overly concerned about a scam because the listing is on ebay. ebay, redweek, tug, mo, the other board...all require prudence.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Shorty, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:24 PM   #52
zafiro
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
i have never used an escrow service as an owner who rents many point and i never will. i don't think many owners who rent on a regular basis use an escrow service, i.e., it is atypical in renting dvc points.
Absolutely, I think that's best if you know the people who you are transacting with. I'm sure many here have a list of trusted and repeat renters of both points and reservations. However, the question was in regards to the avoidance of being scammed in transferring points and then not receiving payment. Escrow is just a risk mitigation tool for both parties of unacquaintance.
zafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:30 PM   #53
zafiro
Two Bedroom

Quote:
"people get scammed all the time" comment, why do you say this. i have sold flatware on ebay for many years, recently using classified ad format to do some dvc rentals. if renter exercises prudence as suggested in the stickies here, there is no reason he/she should be overly concerned about a scam because the listing is on ebay. ebay, redweek, tug, mo, the other board...all require prudence.
zafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:39 PM   #54
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
I say this because I don't believe having a rating system is helpful in preventing fraud by people those who would commit fraud. If anything I feel it can give a false sense of security to someone who isn't reading the stickies and would just turn around and blame this site for their woes if someone had a decent "rating".

If you think I was advising people not to rent from others on the forum, I was not doing that. My point there was that ratings systems are not infallible and if you want some sort of guarantee, then you can rent from a service and pay by credit card.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:42 PM   #55
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafiro View Post
Please copy and paste the sections of the DVC agreement that you have found that explain the differences in renting out your points / transferring your points / giving away your points and doing the same activities for existing confirmed reservations. Also, please include any sections of the agreement that delineate the commercial applications dealing with other DVC members vs. non-members.
Thanks.
I don't do others homework, besisides I can't link things to save my life. If you are a dvc owner you can look for yourself. It is clearly stated and differentiates between point transfers members are allowed 1 per yer. I never said nor does Disney differentiates between members and non members when it comes to renting. You are allowed so many reservations made in 'guests' names per year. If you go over that they can investigate and pull your contract if they decide your contract is being used for commercial purposes. So you either are a dvc owner who does not understand how it works or just didn't bother to read your agreement. Or you are not a Dvc owner and basing this on how other timeshares may work.

Quote:
i have never used an escrow service as an owner who rents many point and i never will. i don't think many owners who rent on a regular basis use an escrow service, i.e., it is atypical in renting dvc points.

Quote:
Absolutely, I think that's best if you know the people who you are transacting with. I'm sure many here have a list of trusted and repeat renters of both points and reservations. However, the question was in regards to the avoidance of being scammed in transferring points and then not receiving payment. Escrow is just a risk mitigation tool for both parties of unacquaintance.
The risk was based on being contacted by people with very few post counts, therefore leading to the concern that it could be a scam. As said the use of a escrow company used for rentals or transfers is not the typical fashion Dvc members do 'business'. I personally have never seen anyone do so and I've been a member since 97.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:51 PM   #56
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Don't forget that you can always contract an escrow company for a small fee (depends on the value of the transaction). Both parties contract with the escrow company, determine the paramaters, they handle the money and no one gets a dime until the deal is done to satisfaction on both ends. I usually split the escrow fee with the other party. First American Title is my preference.
Quote:
You can find helpful information online:
http://www.firstam.com/title/vacation/about/index.html

Their fees are according to the contract transaction amount:

Rental Price Escrow Cost
$0 - $1,000 $100
$1,001 - $2,000 $150
$2,001 - $2,500 $175
$2,501 - $3,000 $200
$3,001 - $3,500 $225
$3,501 - $4,000 $250
$4,001 - $4,500 $275
$4,501 - $5,000 $300
and so on...

They are helpful to call, as well: 866-505-9107

I always offer to split the escrow fee with the other party since it provides protection for both and well worth the peace of mind.

I have used the Las Vegas office and the Honolulu office in past transactions.

I rent out my points and rent from others as well for other timeshare. Most owners are not out there to scam others if you take due diligence. If you really need to go to escrow route for rental, why not go direct and have real piece of mind. Just my 2 cents.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:36 PM   #57
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
I rent out my points and rent from others as well for other timeshare. Most owners are not out there to scam others if you take due diligence. If you really need to go to escrow route for rental, why not go direct and have real piece of mind. Just my 2 cents.
I don't see the need for escrow with the rental, but I completely get using escrow for a transfer. I have transferred in points twice now, and this last time I went thru the timeshare store. They essentially acted as the escrow agent and the transaction was pretty painless.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:18 AM   #58
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
I don't see the need for escrow with the rental, but I completely get using escrow for a transfer. I have transferred in points twice now, and this last time I went thru the timeshare store. They essentially acted as the escrow agent and the transaction was pretty painless.

I have done many transfers but looking at the DVC rules, I would not use Escrow at least for transfers. Everyone has different way of doing things.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:09 AM   #59
glenda
Studio

Default renting

I have rented from owners on this board several times. I checked the deed, the post numbers and asked for all of the references. It went great and as time goes on and I become more familiar with the names and posts here I'm beginning to find a safe zone here where I can rent or accept a transfer with confidence from some of the mouseowners who participate.. Until I purchase more points then that is what I will be doing.

I have noticed lately that the points I purchase may never be enough. Iwonder if there are any snow birds who reside at the DVC? Some day when I fly down that would be my dream LOL

Glenda
glenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:20 AM   #60
taccol
Two Bedroom

I've always called in with the individual for the transfer....once the member services rep says points are ready for transfer and starts the process (with us both on the phone)--I send the PayPal payment. The transfer and payment are completed during the call to MS. Have never had an issue. I would trust another member before a non member --easily and any day. (plus you can verify deed listing if there is a question to you of their ownership...but it's easier to just do the 3 way call)