home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-14-2017, 09:51 AM   #41
pdude81
Grand Villa

ebay has lots of feedback and people get scammed all the time. If you want something guaranteed, you use a service like David's which handles the risk for you.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:46 AM   #42
zafiro
Two Bedroom

Don't forget that you can always contract an escrow company for a small fee (depends on the value of the transaction). Both parties contract with the escrow company, determine the paramaters, they handle the money and no one gets a dime until the deal is done to satisfaction on both ends. I usually split the escrow fee with the other party. First American Title is my preference.
zafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:48 PM   #43
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafiro View Post
Don't forget that you can always contract an escrow company for a small fee (depends on the value of the transaction). Both parties contract with the escrow company, determine the paramaters, they handle the money and no one gets a dime until the deal is done to satisfaction on both ends. I usually split the escrow fee with the other party. First American Title is my preference.
how much do they charge to handle a point transfer escrow?
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:57 PM   #44
zafiro
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
how much do they charge to handle a point transfer escrow?
You can find helpful information online:
http://www.firstam.com/title/vacation/about/index.html

Their fees are according to the contract transaction amount:

Rental Price Escrow Cost
$0 - $1,000 $100
$1,001 - $2,000 $150
$2,001 - $2,500 $175
$2,501 - $3,000 $200
$3,001 - $3,500 $225
$3,501 - $4,000 $250
$4,001 - $4,500 $275
$4,501 - $5,000 $300
and so on...

They are helpful to call, as well: 866-505-9107

I always offer to split the escrow fee with the other party since it provides protection for both and well worth the peace of mind.

I have used the Las Vegas office and the Honolulu office in past transactions.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #45
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafiro View Post
Point transfers for DVC is not suppose to involve payment. Do people who have points for rent get asked to transfer? Yes, but that is a private agreement between the two parties. The only way to transfer with DVC is for the member to call MS and instruct them how many points to transfer and to what membership. Buying for commercial use violates the contract. So a escrow company?? Renting as transferring involves trust. If someone is that unsure then they shouldn't rent. If I have extra points I'm not using then I will rent them, I'm not using a escrow company or paying them. That sounds like a commercial account.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:36 PM   #46
zafiro
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney54us View Post
Point transfers for DVC is not suppose to involve payment. Do people who have points for rent get asked to transfer? Yes, but that is a private agreement between the two parties. The only way to transfer with DVC is for the member to call MS and instruct them how many points to transfer and to what membership. Buying for commercial use violates the contract. So a escrow company?? Renting as transferring involves trust. If someone is that unsure then they shouldn't rent. If I have extra points I'm not using then I will rent them, I'm not using a escrow company or paying them. That sounds like a commercial account.
Not a commercial account; and as "private" as renting / selling an already reserved point usage. It's exactly the same and if one violates some enforceable code then so does the other. The only difference is who makes the reservation.

Trust is only as good as one person's character and intent. Until I know someone's character and intent - I'll escrow. I have found many now great trusted friends by first using escrow who will trade me their ski week (I'm forever hopeful that a DVC resort will be developed in the Rockies) for my WDW week. We no longer need to use escrow since we've established trust. It's not a violation and certainly not a commercial endeavor to use smart tools.

There is a reason that escrow services exist in the vacation arena - for exactly these situations. Mitigation of unknown risk. I'll buy certainty for $100-$150 on a week's point stay every time!
Old 08-14-2017, 03:17 PM   #47
pdude81
Grand Villa

Trust in me
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:29 PM   #48
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Transferring is completely different than renting your points and has different rules. Renting is allowed, up to so many (I believe 19, transactions) per year, which is generous until the red light goes off. If one is so concerned then they should just go through a broker. Dvc is set up a lot differently than most vacation timeshares.
I have never rented Points, I rent my points. I agree one may feel more secure if it goes through a escrow company but the transaction can be complete everything can be fine for a vacation 7 months from now and then a owner stops paying maintenance fees and the vacation gets cancelled. Unless the escrow company keeps the money until the vacation is complete. Which most people who rent are not renting to wait months for their money. The majority do not do payment plans either.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:03 PM   #49
zafiro
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney54us View Post
Transferring is completely different than renting your points and has different rules. Renting is allowed, up to so many (I believe 19, transactions) per year, which is generous until the red light goes off. If one is so concerned then they should just go through a broker. Dvc is set up a lot differently than most vacation timeshares.
I have never rented Points, I rent my points. I agree one may feel more secure if it goes through a escrow company but the transaction can be complete everything can be fine for a vacation 7 months from now and then a owner stops paying maintenance fees and the vacation gets cancelled. Unless the escrow company keeps the money until the vacation is complete. Which most people who rent are not renting to wait months for their money. The majority do not do payment plans either.
Please copy and paste the sections of the DVC agreement that you have found that explain the differences in renting out your points / transferring your points / giving away your points and doing the same activities for existing confirmed reservations. Also, please include any sections of the agreement that delineate the commercial applications dealing with other DVC members vs. non-members.
Thanks.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:10 PM   #50
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

i have never used an escrow service as an owner who rents many point and i never will. i don't think many owners who rent on a regular basis use an escrow service, i.e., it is atypical in renting dvc points.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Black Jack, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is online now   Reply With Quote