home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tips and Tricks for First-Timers and Fanatics
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-22-2019, 05:19 AM   #31
AnnaS
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieh View Post
We went in 2002. My husband wants to go again. I don't want to go back EVER!!

When we arrived there was a cockroach on the bed cover. After we killed that we saw another running along the skirting board. Disney treated our room but the next day one flew in through the open balcony door. After that those doors stayed closed!

I then got stung by a big black wasp thing on the beach.

We saw loads more cockroach things both dead and alive on the sidewalks.

I have a total phobia of beetles and even thinking about it makes me feel awful.

Horrible, horrible holiday.
Ha, yes, the Palmetto bugs.....we did see them all over the sidewalk by the marina at night. I will say, if I were to see them in the room, I don't think I would go back myself. I can't think about them either.

It is a lovely resort and area though.

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:23 AM   #32
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaS View Post
Ha, yes, the Palmetto bugs.....we did see them all over the sidewalk by the marina at night. I will say, if I were to see them in the room, I don't think I would go back myself. I can't think about them either.

It is a lovely resort and area though.
Any time of the year they are worse than others?

BWV Dreamin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:42 AM   #33
bakerworld
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
I have never been but I understand they have a shuttle that drives the 1 mile trip (saves sand in your car or rental ).
One day I will visit...
DVC HHI is buried in a quaint commercial area and it is not marked from the main drag so you need to know where to turn - the GPS kept sending us in a circle. Once you get close there is signage. So to get to the beach you have to squirrel your way out, there is a main road to cross - not that it is that big - and you need to know the turn to the beach. The Jitney is easier until you stay long enough to know the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieh View Post
We went in 2002. My husband wants to go again. I don't want to go back EVER!!

When we arrived there was a cockroach on the bed cover. After we killed that we saw another running along the skirting board. Disney treated our room but the next day one flew in through the open balcony door. After that those doors stayed closed!

I then got stung by a big black wasp thing on the beach.

We saw loads more cockroach things both dead and alive on the sidewalks.

I have a total phobia of beetles and even thinking about it makes me feel awful.

Horrible, horrible holiday.
My daughter lived 6 years in FL. She said the palmetto/cockroach bugs were huge and noisy. When she would come home to visit she had to remember to place a paper bathroom size cup in the drain of her tub or the palmettos would make their way up the drain and into the apartment. She said you could hear them in the closet or flying around - she would sometimes call my younger DD for moral support as she was trying to get rid of one. They have some really funny stories. But worse than the P/C's where the chameleons. She said they got so big you could her their claws clinking along the floors.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #34
AnnaS
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
Any time of the year they are worse than others?
We went in May and end of August. I think end of August was worse - the love bugs too - another story.

I tell you - I have this image on my head of seeing them on the ceiling in the bedroom in the middle of the night.............but I am not sure if it was a dream/reflection of light or what........I cannot get that image out of my head.

The rooms are definitely sprayed.............I think this tells me something that I don't want to think about......

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #35
beachclubmum
One Bedroom

Love Hilton head. Have been plotting to live there full time for many years now, but things keep getting in the way. Maybe next year...

Palmetto bugs are a way of life there (hint....a bug by any other name is still that bug). It's SOP to have monthly spraying and as a result, we find dead ones in our villa every time. However, I figure a dead one is better than a live one! Those I vacuum up if I run across one...because, you know, life cannot exist in a vacuum. I would never, ever, ever, ever leave doors to the outside standing open at night. At least there aren't scorpions there.
beachclubmum is offline   Reply With Quote