home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tips and Tricks for First-Timers and Fanatics
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 03-22-2019, 09:45 AM   #31
carolina_yankee
Administrator
 
carolina_yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 29,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
We used Mobile Ordering at Columbia Harbour House at MK in the fall, and it was a disaster. It took over 30 minutes to get our food after we clicked ,"We're here" or whatever it is. We saw people in the regular line order, get their food, and finish their food before we ever got ours.

Flash forward to spring break. I had heard good things about Mobile Ordering, so we tried it again a last week again at CHH. It was a completely different experience. I ordered, clicked "We're here" and got the order in about 3 minutes. I used it at US too over in Jurassic Park land and sped up that process from about 20-25 minutes to about 5. I will use it again in the future.
I remember waiting longer than I thought I would at CHH but it wasn't too bad. Flame Tree took awhile. D-Luxe Burger, we ordered as soon as we sat down. Sa'tuli Canteen was almost instantaneous.

I really like it but I wish it could handle different payment methods, especially because of gift cards. Maybe at some point Disney will allow you to load gift cards to your account like Starbuck and Panera allow.

My suspicion is that they don't want to get into the "refund scenario" since people come to Disney far less frequently than the go to Starbucks or Panera.

Dirk
__________________


carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:08 AM   #32
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado
 
helenabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 10,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
It's in the My Disney Experience app on the home page. You will see a link that says "Order Food."

You do have to enter credit card information as you can't charge to your room, MagicBand or pay cash or gift card when you get there.

I don't think you can order days ahead, but you can order at any point the same day. Then, when you get to the restaurant, click the "I'm here" button and to the designated pick-up spot. There is usually a sign on one end of the counter and you just wait.

Dirk
You do have to wait until the restaurant is open to order. You cannot do it even in the morning for lunch.
__________________
helenabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:11 AM   #33
rowrbazzle
Grand Villa
 
rowrbazzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: TX
Posts: 1,524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I remember waiting longer than I thought I would at CHH but it wasn't too bad. Flame Tree took awhile. D-Luxe Burger, we ordered as soon as we sat down. Sa'tuli Canteen was almost instantaneous.

I really like it but I wish it could handle different payment methods, especially because of gift cards. Maybe at some point Disney will allow you to load gift cards to your account like Starbuck and Panera allow.

My suspicion is that they don't want to get into the "refund scenario" since people come to Disney far less frequently than the go to Starbucks or Panera.

Dirk
A good recommendation I heard was to use the mobile order to get a clear idea of what's on the menu (particularly for sides). We did this for Flame Tree, but then just used the regular order because there was no line and we wanted to pay with a gift card. The lack of gift card payment is our major impediment too.
__________________
rowrbazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:18 PM   #34
carolina_yankee
Administrator
 
carolina_yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 29,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
You do have to wait until the restaurant is open to order. You cannot do it even in the morning for lunch.
Yes, the restaurant has to be open. However, you don't have to be physically there. I can enter an order right now for Flame Tree Barbecue from the central New Jersey!

Nothing is triggered until you enter the place and click the "I'm here" button. Hmm. I think I'm going to place my dinner order at the airport in Newark when we leave for our next trip.

Dirk
__________________


carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:19 PM   #35
carolina_yankee
Administrator
 
carolina_yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 29,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowrbazzle View Post
A good recommendation I heard was to use the mobile order to get a clear idea of what's on the menu (particularly for sides). We did this for Flame Tree, but then just used the regular order because there was no line and we wanted to pay with a gift card. The lack of gift card payment is our major impediment too.
That's a good idea. The app lets you see the various options and deletions you can do. Generally, we dine at off hours so lines are rarely a problem anyway. We just use the mobile app because I like playing with tech.

Dirk
__________________


carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:17 PM   #36
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado
 
erikthewise's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: OH
Posts: 7,514
Default

I've never been able to get interested in mobile ordering. The CS places I visit, though popular, never seem to have long lines, and sometimes I can order immediately. it's so much simpler to just order when I arrive. Without my reading glasses it's a struggle to make out the tiny menu options on my iphone, even though it's an 8 Plus!

Time spent to place order -- pretty much a wash.
Convenience -- in person wins by a mile.
Time waiting for order -- small to medium advantage to mobile order
__________________

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:55 PM   #37
broganmc
Grand Villa
 
broganmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,701
Default

I used mobile ordering twice this week. First time was with my nephew outside Rapunzel bathroom when I was recharging my chair. Ordered us lunch at Columbia Harbour House and he went in to get it.

Second was today. Got a nice table with my uncle and cousin inside. Took everyone's order and they picked it up on the way back from the bathroom.

I first used it at Hollywood Studios (the Commissary) during a busy day. Nothing beats being getting comfortable with your group before ordering and then sending a runner up to get it.

It doesn't bother me not using gift cards. I don't use them for counter service meals anyway. Better for table service or room charges.
__________________
--- SSR LOVER ------
--- Marriott Owner | SSR, BWV & BLT Owner| PWC user ----
JenKoko Travel Blog | Twitter @BroganMc

Williamsburg with the family, June 21-28, 2019
Florida Sep 29-4 (Bay Lake b-day trip)
Family October 4-12 (SSR)
Solo October 13-31 (Cypress Harbour)
NYE Dec 28-Jan 3 (BLT)

Completed: Florida March 3-23 (Cypress Harbour 3-16, Bay Lake 17-23)
broganmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:39 AM   #38
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado
 
helenabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 10,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Yes, the restaurant has to be open. However, you don't have to be physically there. I can enter an order right now for Flame Tree Barbecue from the central New Jersey!

Nothing is triggered until you enter the place and click the "I'm here" button. Hmm. I think I'm going to place my dinner order at the airport in Newark when we leave for our next trip.

Dirk
I look at the online ordering from home now and then. Good idea to order from NJ just before the plane takes off. Or as you are landing. So easy to do things like that.

My tiny issue also is that you cannot adjust things for allergies so you have to do that in person. Like at Satuli, they have an 'allergy rice' that is more or less plain brown rice. I cannot eat the other rice so this is a great option. It's not available online. Nor are some other adjustments for items like that.

I do like being able to look for the best sides for kids meals too LOL

Still wish we could do g/c or at least charge to the room because we don't spend much money on food at Disney anyway so that's all those types of cards are used for.
__________________
helenabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:50 AM   #39
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado
 
JaxFLBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Longwood, FL
Posts: 7,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
My tiny issue also is that you cannot adjust things for allergies so you have to do that in person.
Disney has vastly improved the allergy-friendly capabilities in the mobile food ordering process. Most locations now have a separate allergy-friendly category which is broken out by specific allergies such as gluten/wheat, egg, fish/shellfish, milk, peanut/tree nut and soy.

There are some allergy options that still require you to order in person.
__________________
Michael
JaxFLBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:10 AM   #40
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado
 
helenabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 10,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxFLBear View Post
Disney has vastly improved the allergy-friendly capabilities in the mobile food ordering process. Most locations now have a separate allergy-friendly category which is broken out by specific allergies such as gluten/wheat, egg, fish/shellfish, milk, peanut/tree nut and soy.

There are some allergy options that still require you to order in person.
Really they have only improved it for those you listed. Also while they offer menus they do not allow for ordering specific allergy friendly items. That was my point and what I had posted about. Like I said, I cannot order a simple allergy friendly rice or remove specific items I know are offenders. I had to write in to find out if a menu change removed my safe base option at Satuli because they don't list it online anywhere. It's a fault they should change IMO.

I appreciate the menus as well, but I am also quite tired of being handed the menus since they don't help at all. They can be good or bad really because I had things severely missed even when they knew my issues. It's only helpful *if* the allergen is on the menu. Mine is not. Granted it is a "mild" reaction (headache, sinus congestion and abdominal issues for 24 hours or less) but I like to avoid it on vacation.

So with their lack of options like that and not being able to charge to my band, it's useless to me.
__________________
helenabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 PM.

MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software