home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-03-2019, 03:34 PM   #41
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Looks like its not getting better any time soon.....

Citing a report from MRO Daily that Boeing's final package of software and training enhancements could take another 4-6 weeks to get to the Federal Aviation Administration, the firm now has an estimated return to service of 9-10 weeks from the original March 13 grounding of the aircraft by the FAA.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:51 PM   #42
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks_63 View Post
I called SW as well today April 3. I was not on a MAX for my two flights.

SW customer service representative said they have gone thru all the flights up thru April 14 so far, and replaced the MAX flights with other planes (and sometimes routes, times switching as a result).

Goldi
Ok so if my flight is still as previously scheduled I should not expect any cancellation? We fly out Friday.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:11 PM   #43
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
We have started driving on more vacations because of many bad flying experiences over the last few years. I just hate that we are paying a lot of money to fly only to be screwed over or massively inconvenienced with nothing more than a "deal with it" attitude from the airlines. It isn't right.
Ultimately -- they know you don't really have many choices. There's only three major carriers in the US and then you have Jet Blue and SWA as the next tier. Not to mention, each airline has essentially carved up the map and unless you're flying out of NYC/LA/DC you pretty much do not have a lot of options on which carrier you use.

Here in Houston -- you either fly SWA or United. You can occasionally fly the others if you're going to one of their hubs, but if you're not, you're looking at doubling the travel time and likely more expensive to boot. I wish I had the money to fly private -- that would be so damn awesome.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:19 PM   #44
Eeyorelover22
Two Bedroom

I just sent this thread to DH who is sort of "in the know" in this situation with the planes. He thinks something else is going on besides just the airplane issue since SW didn't have that many. Union too I guess. Doesn't make me happy either as we are flying with them in June. Curious.

We don't live by a real airport and SW has always been our go to in a relatively close city.

Ugh.
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:40 PM   #45
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
The 737 Max 8's are 4.5% of Southwest's fleet. Even if there is no flexibility or spare aircraft at all in their operations, no more than 5% of their flights should be cancelled.
I'm not at all versed in the industry, but I can't imagine it is that simple. While they still have 95% of their aircraft, it's not just the planes at issue. Cancelling a single flight can have domino effects on other flights (on different planes) that were to be staffed by those flight crews. I'm sure that all the airlines are scrambling to re-work their schedules to be as efficient as possible with their personnel, but it's not as simple as cancelling 5% of the flights and calling it a day - the crews still need to be in the right place at the right time.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:20 PM   #46
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyfan0805 View Post
I'm not at all versed in the industry, but I can't imagine it is that simple. While they still have 95% of their aircraft, it's not just the planes at issue. Cancelling a single flight can have domino effects on other flights (on different planes) that were to be staffed by those flight crews. I'm sure that all the airlines are scrambling to re-work their schedules to be as efficient as possible with their personnel, but it's not as simple as cancelling 5% of the flights and calling it a day - the crews still need to be in the right place at the right time.
the less than 5% is of all flights - so the domino effect you are thinking of is included so to speak.

So the flight that gets canceled for a Max 8 affects all flights that have Max 8s. They have to decide which flights are worth more so to speak to get the 737 700-800s.

There was also a computer issue that affected several airlines yesterday I think.

I have flown all sorts of airlines and all deal with issues now and then. When it comes to the Max 8 issue and weather issues, I don't get mad at any of them for things they cannot control.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:28 PM   #47
Tessa
Two Bedroom

My big issue is that I was already at the airport and Southwest was not willing to rebook me on American or Delta which had available seats. Instead they wanted me to wait TWO days to fly home, and they were not providing the hotel.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:41 PM   #48
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyfan0805 View Post
If you take a plane out of service and have no substitute, the simplest thing to do is to cancel the flights that plane was scheduled to handle. Then there is nothing to juggle, and no domino effect. All other flights use the originally scheduled aircraft, so capacities are unchanged and no one with a ticket has to be denied boarding. And if/when you come up with a substitute aircraft, it can fly the same schedule as the original plane. It's hard to see how any scrambling could improve on that solution.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:42 PM   #49
rowrbazzle
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
My big issue is that I was already at the airport and Southwest was not willing to rebook me on American or Delta which had available seats. Instead they wanted me to wait TWO days to fly home, and they were not providing the hotel.
That's crap.

I got to the airport for a Southwest flight once. They told me that my flight was delayed and I would miss my connection. They offered to book me on a direct flight with another airline at a different airport and pay for the cab. It was incredible service. This was many years ago, but still. What's happened?
Old 04-03-2019, 07:44 PM   #50
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Called SW just to verify flight is still on....50 minute wait....still waiting for them to call me back.