home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Question of the Month
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-15-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
abitadave
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Does WDW Really Need more Resorts?

It seems like Disney is continuing to add Resorts at the expense of guest. What I mean is, aren't the Parks already overcrowded, making it difficult to not only get around but actually ride on the attractions that we gave up our valuable vacation time for?

DGS*16 DGD*16 DGS*13
DGD*12 DGS*10 DGS*8
DGS*6

MOD 130
abitadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abitadave View Post
It seems like Disney is continuing to add Resorts at the expense of guest. What I mean is, aren't the Parks already overcrowded, making it difficult to not only get around but actually ride on the attractions that we gave up our valuable vacation time for?
I think the lines at the parks are due more to FP+ than the number of resort rooms. New resort rooms may encourage more people to go to Disney, but I suspect they are a bid to bring people in who are staying outside the bubble but can afford a Disney resort (i.e., resorts full) or to keep the convention business going (Destino tower).

In many cases, the new DVC offerings are at the expense of existing hotel rooms, so overall capacity isn't changing as much as it looks. CBR gave up a whole section or two for Riviera, CCV and PVB both took over existing rooms at their resort. Reflections is really the first resort to add new inventory in the DVC system without taking away cash inventory first since VGF and AKV-Kidani.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:35 AM   #3
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Add-on Aficionado

i don't see more resorts working for them much longer. NO!

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Black Jack, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #4
bakerworld
Grand Villa

I have to say that I do think that body of water by MK is really getting crowded. Now that they have decided to create a complete walkway from the Poly/GF to MK, I am waiting to hear they're filling in the space between GF and MK.

Which inspires me to wonder - where the heck is that military place (Green something) cause I always that that was between the Poly and MK. Did they build GF and block it?

oooohh - maybe they'll build something on the bird preserve (whatever that's called) that people used to illegally swim to at night.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:49 AM   #5
fuzzylogic
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
I have to say that I do think that body of water by MK is really getting crowded. Now that they have decided to create a complete walkway from the Poly/GF to MK, I am waiting to hear they're filling in the space between GF and MK.

Which inspires me to wonder - where the heck is that military place (Green something) cause I always that that was between the Poly and MK. Did they build GF and block it?
Oh Shades of Green? It's across the parking lot (a little south) from the Polynesian, and down a little bit. Walking distance to the Poly monorail, but never stayed there.

I anticipate filling the space between MK and GF is not a priority. There is almost no water frontage. It's approximately a rectangle shaped space of land with a corner touching the water. It looks over the back side of Splash Mountain. None of this is great. I imagine it may be used in expansion / parking / convention / support for GF or expansion / support for MK, but not a new resort.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #6
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

NO NO NO NO NO more resorts, Mouse!!!!! 5th gate, please!!!!!!!

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / May 9-13, 2020 HHI / Oct 30- Nov 2 BWV
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam, Nov 2, 2020 RCCL Mariner OTS & March 8, 2021 Celebrity Reflection
Lamima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:53 AM   #7
FessParker1
Grand Villa

More on property resorts = more captured guests with magical express = more $ spent at WDW.

More DVC = more guaranteed $

More on property resorts = lower cash price reservations

Lower cash price reservations = DVC MF's are breaking your savings.

So no they don't need any more on property rooms.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:14 PM   #8
rowrbazzle
Grand Villa

As I understand it, most people that visit Disney World don't stay at a Disney hotel. Adding more resorts wouldn't seem to make much of a difference in overall crowding at the parks, but I could see it leading to potential transportation issues.

Last edited by rowrbazzle; 11-15-2019 at 12:27 PM.
rowrbazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:34 PM   #9
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FessParker1 View Post
More on property resorts = lower cash price reservations
I haven't seen that to be true! I couldn't get a moderate today for less than $100/night more than I paid in 2006 when we bought into DVC. And that was with AP discounts. Room increased plus parking fees = insane prices.

Never been more happy to own DVC, and I wouldn't be surprised if Disney sought to keep cash prices high to push people to DVC.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #10
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Add more.....if the demand is there, why not.

Eventually Disney will be forced to add another park. It will not be anytime soon. Maybe in 10 years from now they will start or maybe not.