home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-18-2017, 10:22 AM   #101
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBlovesDisney View Post
THIS!!

We just flew home on Wednesday afternoon. Not fans of ME, have used a car service for years, but now use Uber (cost us $30ish to get from the BLT to MCO, FYI). Anyway, we have TSA precheck but ALSO noticed the sign at the entrance to regular security line that said " DEPARTURE TIME LESS THAN TWO HOURS ONLY ". Sooo, you take ME at 3 hours out, but have to wait around before you can even get in line for security until you're 2 hours out??? Did I misunderstand that sign? And now that ME is at 4 hours out, did the sign change to "cannot check in until 3 hours prior"???
I wonder how much MCO is doing this to "encourage" shopping and dining in their central concourse. It's MCO that's telling people to arrive 3 hours early, not Disney. So, MCO is telling you to arrive at 3 hours, and then cool your heels for an hour, "perhaps while picking up a last minute souvenir, or enjoying a nice meal in our fabulous retail concourse!"

Did Disney take over MCO management?

Dirk
Old 11-18-2017, 11:03 AM   #102
Axelskater
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I wonder how much MCO is doing this to "encourage" shopping and dining in their central concourse. It's MCO that's telling people to arrive 3 hours early, not Disney. So, MCO is telling you to arrive at 3 hours, and then cool your heels for an hour, "perhaps while picking up a last minute souvenir, or enjoying a nice meal in our fabulous retail concourse!"

Dirk
Most people check luggage and I have seen people wait up to an hour in the SWA or Spirit line to check luggage. Not everyone uses resort check in due to timing or the 4 hour requirement. Many refuse to check curbside due to cost of the tip so they have to go inside. When I check a firearm I am required to wait in line. So there's many reasons you could conceivably spend 30-45 minutes to check in, and by then your flight will be closer to the 2 hour time to proceed to security.
Axelskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:14 AM   #103
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Quote:
THIS!!

We just flew home on Wednesday afternoon. Not fans of ME, have used a car service for years, but now use Uber (cost us $30ish to get from the BLT to MCO, FYI). Anyway, we have TSA precheck but ALSO noticed the sign at the entrance to regular security line that said " DEPARTURE TIME LESS THAN TWO HOURS ONLY ". Sooo, you take ME at 3 hours out, but have to wait around before you can even get in line for security until you're 2 hours out??? Did I misunderstand that sign? And now that ME is at 4 hours out, did the sign change to "cannot check in until 3 hours prior"???
Thatís how they cut the lines so people who are there at a normal time for their flight can get through. In addition to ME, Iím sure there are other resorts that offer transportation and tend to pick up much earlier than need be.
I know that if I use a shuttle for my son, to get to MCO from school about a hour north. The shuttle pick up is fairly early for his flight. That is more understandable since you are dealing with unforeseen traffic, a accident etc. plus they are on a every two hour schedule, when he came home last weekend, if he used the shuttle. He would have to have been out there at 6:30 am, they will pick up on campus as a courtesy. He opted to drive, and park he was able to attend his 8:00 am class, get on the road by 9:30 and be there in plenty of enough time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
My dad always got it too but he's about to do it just to be sure he'll have it when we travel together next year. He did travel a ton before then for work (international travel as well as weekly domestic travel). not sure if that had anything to do with it.
Could be. The first time we all flew my son got pre check and we didnít. He had traveled internationally the year before, we hadnít traveled if a few years. Now we paid for pre check, itís worth it.

Quote:

Dirk

True, thatís exactly what we did last time when our flight was delayed versus being stuck at the gate. There is a whole mini mall, I never knew about...
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:17 AM   #104
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelskater View Post
Most people check luggage and I have seen people wait up to an hour in the SWA or Spirit line to check luggage. Not everyone uses resort check in due to timing or the 4 hour requirement. Many refuse to check curbside due to cost of the tip so they have to go inside. When I check a firearm I am required to wait in line. So there's many reasons you could conceivably spend 30-45 minutes to check in, and by then your flight will be closer to the 2 hour time to proceed to security.
MCO now has a self tagging option. Just received flight info for son traveling home for TDay. Not all airports have it, our home hub does not but there was a list of airports that do. Of course that wouldnít help you, since you have to go through the line.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:42 AM   #105
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Nope......It suppose to be random, but before we paid for the service, Robin would get it often and me not so much.
There was definitely a random component, but it was also given to people wit airline frequent flier status as both a perk from the airline and an acknowledgement that folks of a certain FF level were the folks who would properly use Pre-Check, and were more "trusted."

There was a time before it printed on the BP. Since it was (and still is, of course) encoded in the barcode, one could tell by using a barcode scanner app on the BP barcode, looking at the code and knowing which digit in which position to look for.

If the digit was a '1', no Pre-Check (1 beep, presumably). '3' indicated 3 beeps (many still do this) and Pre-Check.

Was kinda fun that way

Cheers.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:31 PM   #106
Janice2014
One Bedroom

Quote:

Dirk

Arrived at MCO in plenty of time to check bags in and was advised to be at our Gate at least 1hour before take off. We brought quick service meals with us and once eaten we browsed around in the shops before going through Security.
From all the horror stories we had heard we expected to be stuck in Security for ages but we were through quickly.
Janice2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:37 PM   #107
Kayhollywood
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Here today Sat 11/18. Flight at 5:10, DME pickup 12:50, at MCO security by 1:30. Sign at security says "only accepting customers w/flights w/in the next 2 hrs." We only have 1.5 hrs to kill at MCO w/a 2 yo
Kayhollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:03 PM   #108
MrsBlovesDisney
One Bedroom

Quote:

Dirk
We arrived early and ate/drank at the Mexican restaurant on Wednesday afternoon. Yup, MCO has to pay for those renovations SOMEHOW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayhollywood View Post
Here today Sat 11/18. Flight at 5:10, DME pickup 12:50, at MCO security by 1:30. Sign at security says "only accepting customers w/flights w/in the next 2 hrs." We only have 1.5 hrs to kill at MCO w/a 2 yo
NOOOO!!! My heart goes out to you!! We don't have little kids anymore but we have an autistic 20yr old son and he'd be pacing for sure!! Sorry you're in this predicament!!

Last trip: MARCH 2018 BLT 1 BDRM TPV
Next: NOV 2018 BLT 1 BDRM ADULT ONLY
Then: MARCH 2019 BLT 1 BDRM

DVC @ OKW and BLT (but the CR will always be our first love)!!
MrsBlovesDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:04 PM   #109
jedwards
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
There was definitely a random component, but it was also given to people wit airline frequent flier status as both a perk from the airline and an acknowledgement that folks of a certain FF level were the folks who would properly use Pre-Check, and were more "trusted."

There was a time before it printed on the BP. Since it was (and still is, of course) encoded in the barcode, one could tell by using a barcode scanner app on the BP barcode, looking at the code and knowing which digit in which position to look for.

If the digit was a '1', no Pre-Check (1 beep, presumably). '3' indicated 3 beeps (many still do this) and Pre-Check.

Was kinda fun that way

Cheers.
Interesting. I wondered if it was because she flies internationally alot more than we do. I thought maybe because her passport was checked so many times, but she certainly does not fly SWA internationally.
jedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:25 PM   #110
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
THIS!!

Can TSA get any more stupid at MCO?! Just get the people thru. Sorry but I cannot imagine that the numbers work out that it will change the line that much so now they are wasting time checking the flight time on boarding passes and making certain it falls in the 2 hours. It also negates the ME pickup change. Disney should just go back to 3 hours.

Quote:

Dirk

I'm also starting to wonder a bit if MCO TSA is jockeying for more funds. A "let's make this experience as long as possible so that we can say if only we had more money then it could be improved".