home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > My Disney Experience, Magic Bands, and FastPass+
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Default Baby Switch Service

What Is Rider Switch and How Does It Work?

If Guests in your party don’t want to board an attraction, you don’t have to miss out. One adult can wait with the non-rider while the rest of the party experiences the attraction. The waiting adult can then board the attraction without having to wait in the regular line again when another adult in the party returns to supervise the child or children who do not ride—either because they do not meet the height requirement or simply do not wish to ride.

Rider Switch is available at select attractions at all 4 Walt Disney World Resort theme parks.

To Use Rider Switch:

1. Check that Rider Switch is offered at the attraction in question by asking a Cast Member.

2. Enter the normal queue with your entire party. At least one adult member of your party and the Guest who will not be riding will then be issued a Rider Switch Pass and asked to wait in a designated area. This group is “Party 2.”

3. The remaining party members, “Party 1,” ride the attraction.

4. After riding the attraction, Party 1 locates Party 2. The non-rider is then “switched” to Party 1.

5. Party 2 enters without having to wait in the regular queue a second time and boards the attraction. The Rider Switch Pass must be presented to a Cast Member at this time.

If the person in Party 2 waited alone with the child, he or she may bring one Guest back to ride the attraction with him or her. Please note: Only 2 Guests are allowed per Rider Switch Pass.

Attractions Offering Rider Switch

Magic Kingdom Park
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Splash Mountain
Storybook Circus
The Barnstormer
Space Mountain
Stitch’s Great Escape
Tomorrowland Indy Speedway

Epcot
Mission: SPACE
Soarin'
Test Track

Disney’s Hollywood Studios
Rock ’n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
Star Tours® - The Adventures Continue
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park
DINOSAUR
Expedition Everest - Legend of the Forbidden Mountain®
Kali River Rapids
Primeval Whirl

Last edited by DVC Data; 06-20-2015 at 05:40 AM.
tomandrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
Wilkeroo
Two Bedroom

Have they changed the number of riders now with the rider switch? It used to be 3 could ride the second time.
Wilkeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkeroo View Post
Have they changed the number of riders now with the rider switch? It used to be 3 could ride the second time.
I am not aware of any changes to the "allowed" number of riders.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
Quellman
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post

If the person in Party 2 waited alone with the child, he or she may bring one Guest back to ride the attraction with him or her. Please note: Only 2 Guests are allowed per Rider Switch Pass.
This is probably the biggest question that most people have. Some people seem to think that party 2 should grow to the same size as party 1 and everyone gets another ride.

Thanks for putting together such a great concise list!
2002 DLHotel, 2010 SSR, 2011 SSR, 2012 DCL Magic, DLParis, BLT, 2013 VB, 2014 DCl Fantasy, BLT 2015 POP, BLT 2016 DCL Dream B2B, BLT 2017 PVB, DCL Fantasy(B2B), YC, BLT 2018 DCL Dream, POFQ, BLT
Quellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
Modan
Two Bedroom

I know it's not on your list of supported rides Tom but I thought I'd mention our experience in attempting to do this on TSM, and our basic logic of why it would make sense.

Me, DW, DS2 and DD2mo

We asked for a "baby swap" and were told they were not offered for the attraction because "there is no height restriction, so everyone can ride".

Unfortunately "riding" and enjoying the attraction are not one and the same. Try aiming and shooting at targets while holding a 2 month old.

It would have been nice for both DW and me to take DS one once while the other waited with DD2mo but the only way to do this (without FP's) is to wait in that nightmare line twice.

Bummer
Old 01-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #6
nicsmom
Grand Villa

When we were in same situation with a very little one, I fussed untl they gave me a FASTPASS to use for rider swap.
nicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #7
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modan View Post
I know it's not on your list of supported rides Tom but I thought I'd mention our experience in attempting to do this on TSM, and our basic logic of why it would make sense.

Me, DW, DS2 and DD2mo

We asked for a "baby swap" and were told they were not offered for the attraction because "there is no height restriction, so everyone can ride".

Unfortunately "riding" and enjoying the attraction are not one and the same. Try aiming and shooting at targets while holding a 2 month old.

It would have been nice for both DW and me to take DS one once while the other waited with DD2mo but the only way to do this (without FP's) is to wait in that nightmare line twice.

Bummer
See...I agree with your logic on why TSMM should be included. Just because they can ride, realistically a baby is not practical.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #8
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsmom View Post
When we were in same situation with a very little one, I fussed untl they gave me a FASTPASS to use for rider swap.
Are you saying Modan is too nice?
Old 01-28-2014, 06:18 PM   #9
bigbahamadada
Grand Villa

As a father of 4 under the age of 10, and a frequent WDW visitor over that time, I'm a power user of rider swap. So, one comment and two awards:

While often called "Baby swap" all you need is one unwilling rider that doesn't want to be left alone. We've used this with Great Grandma in tow. Works just as well. She would have been fine waiting alone. But it would have been awfully rude.

Indy Speedway -- best rider swap ever. I hate this line (the fumes), especially in the summer (lack of shade). With a swap card here, the returning party boards pretty much immediately. "Oh, honey, why don't you take them the first time while I change the baby . . . . "

Stitch's Great Escape -- least used riders swap ever. Sure, some unsuspecting soul may request one, given the height restrictions. But has one ever been redeemed?

I've used hundreds of rider swap cards, and this is the first time I've ever heard that it is available for Stitch. I'm totally getting one on my next trip. It will go great in my collection of Disney items that amuse only me. There is room for it right next to the FP I have for the Carousel of Progress.

Last edited by bigbahamadada; 01-28-2014 at 06:37 PM.
bigbahamadada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #10
Dana
Grand Villa

For child swap, it is the "left out person" that gets to return and bring up to 2 guests. My 2 boys loved going on BMTR twice last week. They would have gotten to go on Test Track 2 times, but even the FP+ line was 45 minutes long (including ride time).
Dana is offline   Reply With Quote