home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-14-2017, 01:22 AM   #31
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffToTheMouse View Post
what does 60K points equate to? Say to SW dollar conversion?
SW unlike other airlines applies points to price. Example some airlines may say it's 35,000 points. Frontier flights one way are either 10,000 or 20,000. SW goes by price point. So a flight that is priced higher, if you click search by points vs price will cost you more in points. A lower priced flight, will be less points for the flight. I have seen flying into MCO from the NE 9,000 plus on a decent fare, to 20,000 plus when there prices are.... pricey. Unfortunately from my Hub they have been pricey the past year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysimba View Post
Fmer55!!!!!!! I was just getting ready to freeze my credit as was recommended in the community hole. Will have to put that on hold now while I check out this offer. We have the SW card and really appreciate the points. Now,if we could only get SW to fly direct out of Portland, ME.

Thanks for posting!!
Will have to check that thread. Another freakin headache to deal with.
Remember, even if you do, as I have been inquiring and researching. You just need to take the freeze off a few days prior. So apply away, so you have points to fly away.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:36 AM   #32
Hi from RI
Two Bedroom

Just received an offer to buy points with 30% discount. Wondering if that isn't worth it too? Hmmm

To buy 60,000 is 1155.00 so less than 2K but no anniversary points....

ME ,DH , DS22 , DD20 , DD12

Stayed at : BLT, AKL, BWV, VGF, HHI, VERO, PVB,
DCL 2016
Before DVC Member: POR, ASM, PVR, OKW
Hi from RI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:26 AM   #33
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi from RI View Post

To buy 60,000 is 1155.00 so less than 2K but no anniversary points....
Right, but here you're paying $1155 out of pocket. With the card it's $2K of spend that you would already do- just done on the new card. There is no actual cost to this. Very different considerations.

Cheers.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #34
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by flypwm View Post
It's variable, but Southwest redemptions are roughly ~1.5 cents per point.
Apparently, for Wanna Get Away Fares, it is not variable (at least as of last April, unless it has changed) at a fixed 1.39cents/point

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/much-...-points-worth/

So, 60K points = $834 in flying value.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; 09-14-2017 at 11:16 AM.
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:52 AM   #35
flypwm
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Apparently, for Wanna Get Away Fares, it is not variable (at least as of last April, unless it has changed) at a fixed 1.39points/dollar.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/much-...-points-worth/

So, 60K points = $834 in flying value.

Cheers.
It does vary in practice. I just pulled up flights for random dates in December, and the lowest WGA fare that day works out in points to 1.8 cents per point. The "better" timed flights that day cost more in cash on a WGA fare, and in points run about 1.55cpp.
flypwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:33 AM   #36
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by flypwm View Post
It does vary in practice. I just pulled up flights for random dates in December, and the lowest WGA fare that day works out in points to 1.8 cents per point. The "better" timed flights that day cost more in cash on a WGA fare, and in points run about 1.55cpp.
I looked at some flights and the article I quoted may be based on the idea that this is $0.0139/point for base fare. For points redemption the excise tax, PCF and federal segment fee are rolled in (but 9/11 fee is not). When taking these into account on a couple of fares (and since the fixed fees would be a higher percentage of a lower fare) these all come out to about the figure quoted above.

But, since one would have to pay these fees, it makes sense to include them in the calculation, so it really is variable to the end user, as you suggest.

Another thing to take into account is that paying for the flight earns, I believe, 6 points per dollar. So this has to be subtracted from the value of using points.

So, even if we take your upper finding of 1.8cents/point, that's 55 points/dollar in value. Taking into account toe 6 points lost, the value works out to about $0.0163/point.

So, 60K points yields a value of $983 in this case.

Still not worth spending $1155 in cash for the $60K points, it seems.

Cheers.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:42 PM   #37
Mari23
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi from RI View Post
when does offer expire?? Couldn't see it.....just did April flights which would have covered this... probably received and ignored
The offer is valid until Oct 4th.

So if you get approved and complete the spending in the 3 months you may get your points early next year so that will count towards the companion pass for 2018 & 2019 unless you want to achieve it for the remainder of this year but that would only give you until the 2018.

Someone please correct me if my thought process is incorrect.

Trip Reports: 2013 Oct-Nov Trip Report

Visits to the World:

Oct 2016: SSR (Hurrican Matthew) ~~ Feb-March 2015: AoA Nemo ~~ April-May 2014: POFQ ~~ Oct-Nov 2013 - AoA:LK Suite ~~April 2013: Pop ~~ Oct 2012: CSR - "A much needed trip" ~~ Dec 2011: POFQ - "Mickey Boot Camp" (Per DH) ~~June 2008: Pop ~~ July 2004: AS-S ~~Aug 2002: AS-S ~~ Summer 1999: Disney's College Program (MK outdoor foods) ~~Aug 1994: (1st Trip to the world) - HoJo Inn
Mari23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:47 PM   #38
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

I don't fly too often. Can someone explain what a companion pass is?
WDWGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #39
goldilocks_63
Two Bedroom

Talking I applied for plus, but only at 50K offer

So this is great offer...

But it takes 2 - 3 months to get the points, so I went ahead becuase I am trying to get companion pass as well.

---

FYI - companion pass allows one person to fly free - your companion, if you get around 110,000 points in a year.

you can google southwest companion pass for more info.

Lucy
goldilocks_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:29 PM   #40
Fmer55
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari23 View Post
The offer is valid until Oct 4th.

So if you get approved and complete the spending in the 3 months you may get your points early next year so that will count towards the companion pass for 2018 & 2019 unless you want to achieve it for the remainder of this year but that would only give you until the 2018.

Someone please correct me if my thought process is incorrect.
But points do not rollover towards companion pass. So you would get your 60k early next year and then need to spend another 50k on the card. I say this because I have 47k this year towards companion. This offer puts me over the top now. If I wait until next year I will have to come up with another 50k of spending. And I can only buy new furniture and 2 new cars in a year every so often

DH, me(Mike)MOD136, DW DD11DD8
Fmer55 is offline   Reply With Quote