home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-11-2017, 09:24 PM   #11
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

If that sounds too much for you, try late afternoon instead. To many, AK is a half day park. So, we were entering around 2pm and the mass exit was taking place. The line for FOP was not bad compared to other times of the day.
WDWGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:14 PM   #12
Jedimom3
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL80 View Post
Thank you for the tip for the side. Without having 'open air' somewhere, I don't think I would be able to make it. And the thought of not being able to get out of the crowd line fast enough bc there would be people everywhere, makes it worse. Any place I go, I have to be able to find an 'exit' and large masses of people around you doesn't offer that. But if I can be on the side of a bridge with open air, that will help.
Although, I am second guessing riding FoP right now
I can understand your concern. I used to get that feeling often in rides. I also have to find the exits when I'm waiting or wherever I go! Especially at theme parks. We did the FoP rope drop early August. We were at the gates at around 7:40 for the 9AM opening, but we were at the AP entrance, and only 4 people ahead, There's quite a mad dash of speed walking once they open the tapstiles...
when we got to the bridge , we found ourselves in about the 2nd/3rd row back form the rope. I was standing on the edge, and I liked that. It didn't feel over crowded here, but again, I could see the CM/ropes, open space

However, once the CMs start leading you back...that's where I actually got that overwhelming claustrophobic, omg this is how people get crushed at concerts feelings....It could be because I'm short (4'11") and had 2 small kids, but there's a turn you make that I just didn't like, very close quarters...but it only felt that way for maybe 30 seconds or a minute if that....after the turn there, you get in more of a single file/double file kind of place...It reminded me of the Haunted mansion after everyone leaves the room and smushes into one single file line (I hate that part every time,) but with a lot more people. That said we'll be doing rope drop again in Oct, even tho we have FPs.
We were in the matching room at 8:50, off the ride at 9:10, banshees bought by 9:20

We also went back in the evening. Wait was posted at 120 mins. We waited 100 mins. The queue moved steadily, but it was also near park closing, and very few FP people returning, so that helped our line move along. We wanted to see the regular queue at least once, and glad we did....but I'd rather rope drop. I would not do the line midday unless 90 mins or less, since FP returnees will slow it all down. And it could be hot, and I found the first half of the queue not well ventilated.

I don't want to sound negative or put you off about it, but I can relate to that kind of feeling. I just took a few deep breaths and told myself it was temporary, and I was ok...and FoP is so amazing. It's so worth it!
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #13
KL80
Studio

I keep trying to tell myself that it's worth it but boy... those crowds make me short of breath!
Once you get through the turnstiles, which way do you go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimom3 View Post
I can understand your concern. I used to get that feeling often in rides. I also have to find the exits when I'm waiting or wherever I go! Especially at theme parks. We did the FoP rope drop early August. We were at the gates at around 7:40 for the 9AM opening, but we were at the AP entrance, and only 4 people ahead, There's quite a mad dash of speed walking once they open the tapstiles...
when we got to the bridge , we found ourselves in about the 2nd/3rd row back form the rope. I was standing on the edge, and I liked that. It didn't feel over crowded here, but again, I could see the CM/ropes, open space

However, once the CMs start leading you back...that's where I actually got that overwhelming claustrophobic, omg this is how people get crushed at concerts feelings....It could be because I'm short (4'11") and had 2 small kids, but there's a turn you make that I just didn't like, very close quarters...but it only felt that way for maybe 30 seconds or a minute if that....after the turn there, you get in more of a single file/double file kind of place...It reminded me of the Haunted mansion after everyone leaves the room and smushes into one single file line (I hate that part every time,) but with a lot more people. That said we'll be doing rope drop again in Oct, even tho we have FPs.
We were in the matching room at 8:50, off the ride at 9:10, banshees bought by 9:20

We also went back in the evening. Wait was posted at 120 mins. We waited 100 mins. The queue moved steadily, but it was also near park closing, and very few FP people returning, so that helped our line move along. We wanted to see the regular queue at least once, and glad we did....but I'd rather rope drop. I would not do the line midday unless 90 mins or less, since FP returnees will slow it all down. And it could be hot, and I found the first half of the queue not well ventilated.

I don't want to sound negative or put you off about it, but I can relate to that kind of feeling. I just took a few deep breaths and told myself it was temporary, and I was ok...and FoP is so amazing. It's so worth it!
KL80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #14
Jedimom3
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL80 View Post
I keep trying to tell myself that it's worth it but boy... those crowds make me short of breath!
Once you get through the turnstiles, which way do you go?
I was following DH, and we just veered to the left with the crowds....the power walkers kind of led the way to the left around the front of a store then past Tiffins, etc. I will convince DH in Oct to slow down just a bit so we don't get separated!
FoP is awesome. it's worth a little frenzy I think.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:12 PM   #15
bobbafett
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWGoof View Post
If that sounds too much for you, try late afternoon instead. To many, AK is a half day park. So, we were entering around 2pm and the mass exit was taking place. The line for FOP was not bad compared to other times of the day.
I'm not sure the 2 pm is accurate anymore.
Pandora late. Safari late. Rivers of light late. Tree of Life Awakening late.
I know there still is a good reason to leave and park hop.
It's just not like it was a year ago. I was just there and at 2 it's still busy.

Also to to original question.
Getting there at 730 and not expecting a line. Totally incorrect.
I was there at 7 and a large line. But.....you will walk on the ride. But when you get out. The line will more then likely snake up to festival of the lion king and back to Pandora.
I think for one day getting up and doing lines is worth it for this ride. It is the best.
Don't forget there are posters who will wait for toy story mania. I would go in that with a 0 minute wait. Same for seven dwarves.
So please don't take the advice that it's not worth it. It totally is.
AKL 14, AKL 16, AKL/VWL 16

bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:31 PM   #16
KL80
Studio

I think I'm just going to do it. I don't know if we'll be able to get back to Disney next year so I'll ne kicking myself if I don't just do it now! Keep your fingers crossed for me on Wednesday morning!
KL80 is offline   Reply With Quote