home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Question of the Month
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-08-2017, 10:44 PM   #601
flypwm
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfreak89 View Post
If we are doing a split stay at a DVC resort and a non-DVC resort, when we call MS to book the DVC resort,
is it OK to ask them to transfer me over to CRO to book the non-DVC resort or do they frown upon that?
That is a completely reasonable request.
flypwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #602
ggatorgirl
Two Bedroom

Default Point Chart

I am looking for a spreadsheet that shows the points requirements by season/room/view category/resort.

It was a wonderful chart for ALL DVC resorts.

Micah may have done one. I know I love his chart with the room details for each room by resort and seem to think he had one with points, too.

Thanks.

ggatorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:13 PM   #603
disneyfreak89
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by flypwm View Post
That is a completely reasonable request.
Good to hear, thanks.

Vero Beach 2010 TR Eating Around the World 2011 TR Hilton Head 2012 TR Post Stroke TR 2016

Honeymoon '89 - OFFSITE 1990 - FW; 1992 - Dixie Landings; 1996 - FW; 1999 - FW/CSR; 2001 - Dixie Landings;
2003 - FW; 2005 - POFQ/ POR; 2006 - Pop; 2007 - Pop/CBR; 2008 - SSR/OKW; 2009 - Pop/CSR; 2010 - VBR/WL/Pop;

2011 - SSR/BWV/AKV; 2012 - SSR/BWV/VBR/HHI; 2013 - POR/SSR; 2014 - OKW/BCV; 2015 - SSR; 2016 - Pop/SSR/AKV; UPCOMING-2018-POR/PBV
disneyfreak89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:05 PM   #604
DisneyPaPa
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default My Disney Experience

So we love the "my Disney experience " but our whole family uses one email and then we log in and make our changes. We have not had a problem with this but every time I call and talk to a customer service cast member they tell me to get my own. I just got off and was told to start my own and link it with a friends and family link. Does this work out well. What are your thoughts?
Sept 2015
2016 Jan, April,Sept,Dec
2017 Jan,April,June
DisneyPaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:35 PM   #605
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyPaPa View Post
So we love the "my Disney experience " but our whole family uses one email and then we log in and make our changes. We have not had a problem with this but every time I call and talk to a customer service cast member they tell me to get my own. I just got off and was told to start my own and link it with a friends and family link. Does this work out well. What are your thoughts?
That depends on what you mean by "whole family". Is this a single household or multiple households ? Is there a primary planner who is doing almost all of the planning and making most of the changes or do you have multiple people logging in and doing their own thing ? Does your family always travel together or is it "sometimes together/sometimes separate" ? Another clue on what might be best - are there AP holders in more than one household who do not always travel at the same time ?

My general rule:
My immediate family is on my MDE because I do all the planning and keep track of everyone.
My parents are on my MDE because they have no reason to ever travel without me being with them, and I do all their planning.
My BFF is on my MDE, because if she goes to WDW, odds are it will be with me and when we go together, I do all the planning. She might on some rare event, go without me. If she goes without me, she can still have her own separate account for her separate trips and still be on mine, but the only reason this would work is that she would never go enough to get an AP, so letting the system treat her like 2 separate people (Person 1 is on my account, person 2 is on her own account) is not an issue.

If I had family who might be at WDW at the same time as us, but they weren't necessarily going to be doing the same thing as us all the time, and if they were comfortable enough to make their own changes, I'd have them set up their own account.

I have no problem planning vacations for everyone, but if I am planning it I am putting it in my account to make things easier on me. However, if they want to plan their own vacation, they need their own account. (No one makes changes in my MDE account except me ). I send everyone screen shots of their FP+ info so they know where to be and when to be there. I do not give them the password my MDE.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

My DVC Caste: Happy to be a Donald!
tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:56 PM   #606
Nickys
One Bedroom

Quote:
Each of my family have their own account. I was the planner for our last trip (that was the first time for us since the whole MDE thing started). Can't remember how, I think I just created an account for each of them, sent them the "request" to link and told them if they wanted me to book ADRs and fastpasses they better reply pronto! Boys were 17 and 21. Again with the magic bands I told them to do it themselves

I made all the plans, we would all start together and they soon got the hang of what to do. It meant we could split up easily, and sometimes they changed the fps as they felt like it. In fact when we were in the parks they were the ones logging on because my phone is apparently not smart enough to run MDE!

I was a little concerned someone would manage to cancel fps, that was really my only concern.
Nickys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:28 PM   #607
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
We have only one account for MDE and one for DVC as well. I had enough issues with my MDE and DVC account linking properly so I am not wanting to do more than that. I

It means I just control my immediate household though. I have done my in-laws in the past but deleted them since they got their own account.

Now when my extended family travels they have their own and we are linked to them and that's fine. Just for the immediate family we keep it to one. I have no issues doing FP for the group as a whole either.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:52 AM   #608
DisneyPaPa
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Great info. Some more details for our family

By whole family I do mean our immediate family which consists of: Me,my wife,4 children 18,16,15,13. We are dvc, and we all have ap's. We don't all always travel together but me or my wife is always there. The mde has worked well in the past. I didn't know if we were misssing out on us not having our own mde.

If I wanted to get my own mde (first solo trip in November "Disney dish")is it hard to go back if we don't like it.
Sept 2015
2016 Jan, April,Sept,Dec
2017 Jan,April,June
DisneyPaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:07 AM   #609
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
By whole family I do mean our immediate family which consists of: Me,my wife,4 children 18,16,15,13. We are dvc, and we all have ap's. We don't all always travel together but me or my wife is always there. The mde has worked well in the past. I didn't know if we were misssing out on us not having our own mde.

If I wanted to get my own mde (first solo trip in November "Disney dish")is it hard to go back if we don't like it.
The short answer is no, in the situation you described above you should not get you own account for the next trip. If separate MDE accounts are created, it should be your older kids creating new ones, but you may need some help from Disney in getting their APs off of your account and onto their own accounts. Oh, and you aren't missing anything by not having an individual account.

I don't know anyway to give you an explanation other than a rather lengthy description of a few things you need to know to make the best choice for your family. Some of this you may already know, but I'll try to be complete as all of this works together in making the best decision.

MDE has some limitations on the number of active MBs it can handle well in a single account. If you don't deactivate old bands, if a family of 6 has multiple bands for each person (like different colors, specialty bands, etc) it won't take long before you get so many that some of them will not always work. The only problems I've read anyone report had to do with opening to door to the DVC Villa. Apparently, the door reader will search down your list of bands in a single account, but it will only search for so long before it times out. You can manage this yourself by limiting everyone in your family to only taking 2 or 3 bands per person, then in your MDE "De-activate" any MBs that aren't going on that trip. The size of your family and the potential for issues with too many MBs may be why CMs are hinting at you to put them on multiple MDE accounts. Disney is very vague about this problem. I read one poster report that she was told the number it could handle at one time was 25. When a front desk CM wanted to de-activate some of our bands (we had I think 22 at the time), I asked what was the number it could take. She never would give me a number but she did confirm that "too many" were a problem.

On the new accounts. You will have nothing but headaches if the same person attempts to have 2 accounts tied to their name. Disney wants each person to have only one account over all things Disney owned and operated. This includes anything opened with ABC or ESPN. After MDE came out, they did this account merge thing and anyone who had multiple accounts had issues until they called Tech Support and got one deleted. For me, I had an old account I hadn't used in years and had completely forgotten about it. My MDE got messed up and when I called I found out it was this old account. Different email, different password, different mailing address. However, they matched up name and DOB, figured I must be the same person and somehow messed up my active account. I never had anything with ABC or ESPN, but there were users here who had ESPN log ins for sports brackets and they had to start using the same email password for ESPN as they do for MDE because it messed up their MDE.

So, for the MDE account that you have now - was it opened in your name ? And/or are you using the same infomation for anything else Disney owns that is in your name ? I am assuming this is the same account that you use for DVC and that it is set up either in your name or your wife's name ? If it's in your name - you can't create another account without eventually encountering problems because their system wants you on one and only one account. If it's in your wife's name, you can get your own if you really want to, but I personally would not.

If you want to have your kids get their own, they will eventually need their own so that's not an issue. If they do, first thing you need to think about is do they have another Disney account somewhere like on one of the kid sites or maybe ESPN sports brackets ? If so, they should use the same email and password for their MDE account. Also, if the kids set up an account, I would not use an email that is tied to a school because that email will eventually disappear.

I don't know how charging to the MB works if you have separate accounts because we don't do it that way. My guess would be that if you want your kids to be able to charge on the MB and if you are on different account that you need to add your CC to their account. When you make a room reservation, I think the kids will need to link it to their own accounts, I don't think you can do that for them (but again, I don't really know because we don't do it that way).

Again, no, you aren't missing anything my not having your own account. These CMs suggesting you set up multiple accounts are probably looking at the number of MBs on your account and trying to steer you that way instead of just telling you to be careful of the number of bands that you have. (So very Disney to not admit they have a problem in an area until you actually stumble into it). If your kids go off on their own and want to make their own FP+ ressies or change their own, it's not a bad idea for them to have their own account(s). You might find that it works well for you.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

My DVC Caste: Happy to be a Donald!
tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:22 PM   #610
Nickys
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post
The short answer is no, in the situation you described above you should not get you own account for the next trip. If separate MDE accounts are created, it should be your older kids creating new ones, but you may need some help from Disney in getting their APs off of your account and onto their own accounts. Oh, and you aren't missing anything by not having an individual account.

1. On the new accounts. You will have nothing but headaches if the same person attempts to have 2 accounts tied to their name. Disney wants each person to have only one account over all things Disney owned and operated. This includes anything opened with ABC or ESPN. After MDE came out, they did this account merge thing and anyone who had multiple accounts had issues until they called Tech Support and got one deleted. For me, I had an old account I hadn't used in years and had completely forgotten about it. My MDE got messed up and when I called I found out it was this old account. Different email, different password, different mailing address. However, they matched up name and DOB, figured I must be the same person and somehow messed up my active account. I never had anything with ABC or ESPN, but there were users here who had ESPN log ins for sports brackets and they had to start using the same email password for ESPN as they do for MDE because it messed up their MDE.

2. So, for the MDE account that you have now - was it opened in your name ? And/or are you using the same infomation for anything else Disney owns that is in your name ? I am assuming this is the same account that you use for DVC and that it is set up either in your name or your wife's name ? If it's in your name - you can't create another account without eventually encountering problems because their system wants you on one and only one account. If it's in your wife's name, you can get your own if you really want to, but I personally would not.

3. If you want to have your kids get their own, they will eventually need their own so that's not an issue. If they do, first thing you need to think about is do they have another Disney account somewhere like on one of the kid sites or maybe ESPN sports brackets ? If so, they should use the same email and password for their MDE account. Also, if the kids set up an account, I would not use an email that is tied to a school because that email will eventually disappear.

4. I don't know how charging to the MB works if you have separate accounts because we don't do it that way. My guess would be that if you want your kids to be able to charge on the MB and if you are on different account that you need to add your CC to their account. When you make a room reservation, I think the kids will need to link it to their own accounts, I don't think you can do that for them (but again, I don't really know because we don't do it that way).

5. Again, no, you aren't missing anything my not having your own account. These CMs suggesting you set up multiple accounts are probably looking at the number of MBs on your account and trying to steer you that way instead of just telling you to be careful of the number of bands that you have. (So very Disney to not admit they have a problem in an area until you actually stumble into it). If your kids go off on their own and want to make their own FP+ ressies or change their own, it's not a bad idea for them to have their own account(s). You might find that it works well for you.
From my own experience....

1. Both my kids used to have accounts for stuff like Club Penguin and so on. Absolutely certain that eldest didn't use the same email account for MDE and he had no problems with his MDE account. Fairly sure youngest's kiddies accounts were linked to my email tho in his name. Again, no issues with MDE.

2. Confused by this. Both DH and myself have accounts for our DVC. I assume DH uses the same email and password for bot, I certainly do.

3. Similar to 1. Agree on a school email account, you should never do this! But like I said, both DS have old unused accounts on other Disney sites and almost certainly used different email for MDE.

4. No issue here. Charging worked fine, we had one pin for the reservation, everyone on the reservation used the same pin and I set limits on the boys' bands! To make a reservation you can select from your family and friends list to add to the reservation, no further linking required.

5. You appear to be contradicting yourself. If people want to be able to make their own fps they either need their own account or you have to give them your email and password. I have no intention of doing that! So if the two adults want to go their separate ways in the parks, why would the same not apply to them?

I've heard it can involve a bit of a pfaff to sort out MDE accounts if changing from one person controlling everyone to each person having their own, but in the long run it would be worth it imo. Then you know that everyone can manage their own stuff without a problem. If DH didn't feel like coming to the park in the am, he can come along later and modify his fps as he likes. Or I can leave park early and they're not left going "help, what's mum's password?".

It never once occurred to me to manage everyone's MDE accounts. If the kids are old enough to go to the park on their own, or even with someone else, I would have them manage their own account. They don't have to, it just means they can. Same for you, unless both of you are happy to share log-on details. Me? I wouldn't want others "being me" on MDE and be able to change ADRs etc.

But go with whatever works for you OP.
Nickys is online now   Reply With Quote