home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Wining & Dining
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-02-2019, 08:30 PM   #11
DMKEDM
One Bedroom

Is money an issue? How many people does your friend have in his/her party of kids & grandkids? None of the restaurants mentioned so far will feed more than 4 people on $200 (a very nice gesture, that gift card...but $200 could wind up not enough even to cover a party of 4 at most of the restaurants mentioned (most of which I'd agree are great)...

So...just in case you want something that will come closer to a total bill of $200: how about Raglan Road (LOVE their Irish music & dancing)? Or Sanaa?--oops, if they're not into ethnic food, Sanaa won't work--altho I've yet to meet anyone -- picky eater/plain food eater/adventurous eater -- who doesn't love Sanaa's naan bread service)...

Other possibilities that are on the less expensive side: Wolfgang Puck's Express at Disney Springs, the Polite Pig at Disney Springs, Chefs de France or Coral Reef or Garden Grill at Epcot...

Good luck and have a great time...
DMKEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:35 PM   #12
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

California Grill or Narcoossee’s, I’d say.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:40 PM   #13
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

I took OP to mean that it's basically just a double date...the 2 couples going to dinner. The one couple will have a $200 GC to use. And the other couple (OP) will pay their tab.

So we do WDW with SIL and BIL a lot. Our super enjoyable meals were Cali Grill, Tiffins, Jiko, AP (but that's a goner) and La Trattoria. Cali Grill can see fireworks maybe if it's not too late to book a decent time for that. Jiko and Tiffins were pretty darn nice.

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / May 9-13, 2020 HHI / Oct 30- Nov 2 BWV
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam, Nov 2, 2020 RCCL Mariner OTS & March 8, 2021 Celebrity Reflection
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:45 PM   #14
walnuts24
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

might be too risky but what about the restaurant at Riviera. I think they are going to have fireworks views of Epcot and it might be cool to experience something together for the first time. Iím also the type of person that feels pressure telling people how good things are and this would be an opportunity to just go with the flow and have no expectations.
walnuts24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:58 PM   #15
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnuts24 View Post
might be too risky but what about the restaurant at Riviera. I think they are going to have fireworks views of Epcot and it might be cool to experience something together for the first time. Iím also the type of person that feels pressure telling people how good things are and this would be an opportunity to just go with the flow and have no expectations.
That sounds good too. Topolina. Or the one at Coronado called Toledo.

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / May 9-13, 2020 HHI / Oct 30- Nov 2 BWV
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam, Nov 2, 2020 RCCL Mariner OTS & March 8, 2021 Celebrity Reflection
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:25 PM   #16
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMKEDM View Post
Is money an issue? How many people does your friend have in his/her party of kids & grandkids? None of the restaurants mentioned so far will feed more than 4 people on $200 (a very nice gesture, that gift card...but $200 could wind up not enough even to cover a party of 4 at most of the restaurants mentioned (most of which I'd agree are great)...

So...just in case you want something that will come closer to a total bill of $200: how about Raglan Road (LOVE their Irish music & dancing)? Or Sanaa?--oops, if they're not into ethnic food, Sanaa won't work--altho I've yet to meet anyone -- picky eater/plain food eater/adventurous eater -- who doesn't love Sanaa's naan bread service)...

Other possibilities that are on the less expensive side: Wolfgang Puck's Express at Disney Springs, the Polite Pig at Disney Springs, Chefs de France or Coral Reef or Garden Grill at Epcot...

Good luck and have a great time...
Well you haven’t technically met me, but you can put me on the list (by myself), of people who don’t care for the bread service. Sorry. Just didn’t do it for me.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:28 PM   #17
RweTHEREyet
Add-on Aficionado

And yes, it will be just the 4 of us and they will have the $200 gift card for their evening out. The rest of their crew will be on their own.

I guess I misspoke when I said they donít care for ethnic food-actually they do enjoy Chinese and Italian, just not Indian or Mediterranean.

I like the idea of Morrimotoís. We have eaten there a couple of times and really enjoyed everything we had.

We are staying at the Riviera that trip and having dinner at Topolinoís with some other dear friends on Sunday night.

Lots of good suggestions here, now to narrow down the choices.

RweTHEREyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:53 PM   #18
Times3
Studio

Boathouse has always been a good quality meal for us. We often meet friends there for dinner when we visit. I know I may get lambasted for this but after hearing how wonderful CaliGrill is my husband and I went there last year on a kids free trip and it just didnít live up to all the hype in our opinion. It could have been an off night or just a difference in opinions. Whatever you choose I hope it is wonderful. Enjoy.
Times3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:43 PM   #19
PolyGirl
Studio

I agree the Boathouse is a wonderful option, great atmosphere and excellent food, it's a favorite of mine and my husbands. I do have to warn you the last time we were there in March, the two of us went for a relaxing drink on the pier only to find there was a band set up next door in the public space that was so loud we could hardly talk. It was not music geared toward a Boathouse kind of crowd and it was obnoxious! It felt like we were in a night club. We talked to the bartender to see if this was the norm and he explained it happened every Thursday through Saturday. He was as annoyed as we were, it totally ruined the mood and we left after one drink. I don't know why Disney continues to think they can just dump these dance parties anywhere they want. They need to figure it out. When they build upscale restaurants why would they try to drive that same crowd away by bringing in the loud music. I feel as though they just can't decide who they're trying to please. There are times I like to dance and get crazy and there are times I like to sit back and relax but NEVER at the same time.
PolyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:27 PM   #20
ajc
Grand Villa

We enjoy Storybook dining at Artist Point . The prime rib was great and the prix fix was timed right. Territory lounge, dinner, electric pageant, then drinks at BLT for fireworks at ToTWL makes for a complete evening.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote