home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-16-2015, 08:42 AM   #11
permavac10
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina427 View Post
How do I know if my points are eligible for a transfer? They are from the current use year (need to be used by November 30, 2015) they have not been banked.
Then yes - your points are eligible for transfer as long as you haven't done a transfer yet in your same account (whether in or out). Also, if the reason you are looking to rent/transfer is because you missed your banking deadline, you can still probably get your points banked. Just call and ask for a special exception. One MS rep told me it's never a problem to bank late - even if you do it every year. Then, of course, when I did bank late the lady who did it made a big stink about it being late. If you get a "no" at first, just call back and speak to someone else. Or ask for a supervisor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
...With a December UY, the points cannot be banked by the purchaser...
Actually, the points CAN be banked. While points retain their home resort and UY when they are transferred, they are no longer subject to banking deadlines. That means that they can be banked even a day before they are set to expire but I wouldn't wait that long

Hope that helps!

Terri
permavac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:01 AM   #12
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by permavac10 View Post
Then yes - your points are eligible for transfer as long as you haven't done a transfer yet in your same account (whether in or out). Also, if the reason you are looking to rent/transfer is because you missed your banking deadline, you can still probably get your points banked. Just call and ask for a special exception. One MS rep told me it's never a problem to bank late - even if you do it every year. Then, of course, when I did bank late the lady who did it made a big stink about it being late. If you get a "no" at first, just call back and speak to someone else. Or ask for a supervisor.

Actually, the points CAN be banked. While points retain their home resort and UY when they are transferred, they are no longer subject to banking deadlines. That means that they can be banked even a day before they are set to expire but I wouldn't wait that long

Hope that helps!

Terri
That helps me tremendously! Thanks! I was trying to figure out how to send up an SOS to get an expert's help! I really do learn something new here every time I log on!

Christina427, unless you will just NOT be able to use those points, I think your best bet would be to call and see if they will bank them for you. Problem solved, thanks to Terri! If you still want to rent or transfer, you can post an ad on the rent/transfer board. But be sure to read the rules for posting first, and follow them. If you have any more questions, just post and someone will jump in and answer them for you!
Old 08-16-2015, 11:23 AM   #13
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

I have seen several people post about one time banking exception, but this is the first time I have seen anyone post that you could miss the banking deadline year after year and still get them to waive the banking deadline. Not doubting the previous poster has been able to do it, I guess if you keep calling and pushing maybe you could get it done. However, I certainly wouldn't count on that.
On the transferee being able to get those points banked after the deadline, again maybe you could pull it off but I wouldn't count on it. Definitely wouldn't expect someone to pay top dollar for the points assuming they could be banked.

BTW it is against DVC policy to get money for transferred points. People do it all the time, but you never want to let MS know money was involved when you call to do the transfer.

The way I see it you have 3 options.
1. Call and ask if they will give you a banking exception. If so, bank the points and rent them either here or through a broker like David's . If you can get them banked, they still have plenty of shelf life so you can get top dollar.
2. Go to the Rent Trade Transfer board here and offer them as a transfer for a good rate. I would probably do something like $9 pp with the condition they have to take them all. Availability is slim right now because of F&W, but someone who already has a confirmed ressie could buy your points and get a MS to swap your transferred points to use for the ressie and then free up their own points. The catch is finding someone who could use the points, their own ressie needs to be more than 30 days out (to avoid the holding window issue), and they would have to have a UY that this would work for. A month ago this kind of scenario would have been a good opportunity for me. Maybe you can find someone in a similar situation.
3. I think you can transfer them into RCI and get 2 more years to use them in the RCI network. I know nothing about that. If you want to explore the RCI alternative, I would call MS and have them explain it to you. There are a few on here who have done that. You could also start a new thread and ask about RCI. Maybe someone who has done it will see the thread and respond.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:07 PM   #14
permavac10
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
That helps me tremendously! Thanks!...
No problem! Since I have so few of my own points in my two contracts, I get transfers every year so in this regard, I guess I am an expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post
I have seen several people post about one time banking exception, but this is the first time I have seen anyone post that you could miss the banking deadline year after year and still get them to waive the banking deadline. Not doubting the previous poster has been able to do it, I guess if you keep calling and pushing maybe you could get it done. However, I certainly wouldn't count on that...

I agree. It was only the one guy that I spoke to who said it to me and not something I ever needed to explore since I have only done one late banking myself so far. He offered it up unsolicited when I asked about potentially doing the one late banking that I was considering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post
On the transferee being able to get those points banked after the deadline, again maybe you could pull it off but I wouldn't count on it. Definitely wouldn't expect someone to pay top dollar for the points assuming they could be banked...
Actually, the above is the policy. I have been told this by numerous MS reps on several different occasions. Transferred in points can be banked at any time before they expire. I received my most recent transfer in March 2015 of 50 points that were set to expire at the end of May. I didn't need to use them after all so I ended up banking them per the policy, which is what the MS rep told me, not the other way around.

As with anything to do with MS though, probably best for the person who wants the points transferred in and wants to bank them to call and confirm this themselves before getting a transfer for their own piece of mind.

Terri
permavac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:51 PM   #15
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by permavac10 View Post
No problem! Since I have so few of my own points in my two contracts, I get transfers every year so in this regard, I guess I am an expert

I agree. It was only the one guy that I spoke to who said it to me and not something I ever needed to explore since I have only done one late banking myself so far. He offered it up unsolicited when I asked about potentially doing the one late banking that I was considering...

Actually, the above is the policy. I have been told this by numerous MS reps on several different occasions. Transferred in points can be banked at any time before they expire. I received my most recent transfer in March 2015 of 50 points that were set to expire at the end of May. I didn't need to use them after all so I ended up banking them per the policy, which is what the MS rep told me, not the other way around.

As with anything to do with MS though, probably best for the person who wants the points transferred in and wants to bank them to call and confirm this themselves before getting a transfer for their own piece of mind.

Terri
Transferred points maintain their original UY. Therefore you must watch when the banking deadline is for those particular transferred in points. The rule of thumb is to bank 4 mos. or before the end of the UY. There is no exception to this rule.

The only time I have seen Disney bank previous years points or current UY points that are about to expire is during the sale of a contract. It is something NICE that Disney does for new members but is not the norm or the rule. I would not count on it during the purchase process and if it happens all the better.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:31 PM   #16
DVCjj
Grand Villa

Confirmed on 4 separate occasions that Transferred Points have no banking rules. As stated by someone else, for sure they can be banked up until the last day of expiration.

The very one time I got someone who questioned this, I stated the above, she put me on hold, came back and said I was 100% right. Transferred points can be banked at any time.

Of course, this 'perk' can be changed on a dime.
DVCjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #17
OrangeLettuce
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCjj View Post
Confirmed on 4 separate occasions that Transferred Points have no banking rules. As stated by someone else, for sure they can be banked up until the last day of expiration.

The very one time I got someone who questioned this, I stated the above, she put me on hold, came back and said I was 100% right. Transferred points can be banked at any time.

Thank you for the confirmation, this is good to know!

When do we go back?
OrangeLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #18
DVCjj
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeLettuce View Post
Thank you for the confirmation, this is good to know!
I personally think we might be getting this banking 'allowance' on transferred points because they do not appear on the member site, making it very difficult to keep track of.

If eventually they do appear on the site, I think they might possibly revert to regular banking rules.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #19
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCjj View Post

No disrespect but I'm not taking your word on it. It's best to confirm directly with MS. Is it in writing? I would like to see it.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:22 PM   #20
DVCjj
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
No disrespect but I'm not taking your word on it. It's best to confirm directly with MS. Is it in writing? I would like to see it.
I understand your skepticism. She volunteered to put it in my records.
I heard her typing but I cannot see behind the scenes.

I literally called last week to use the rest of these transferred points and yet again confirmed that IF any had been left (they were all used up), I could bank the last month and she said yes. (so that makes 5 MS people).

For myself personally, I would rather err on the side of trust.