home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-11-2019, 11:38 PM   #21
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
I'm mostly concerned about the 2020 point reallocation. They have exploited the lock-off premium and have effectively increased the prices of studios and 1BRs. These increases were NOT offset by reducing other rooms. That is what I find concerning. And after further research, if studios and 1BRs are all part of a 2BR lock-off, then there is absolutely ZERO checks in the system to keep DVC from reallocating those studios and 1BRs to any amount they desire. They could literally make them 1 zillion points a night and there isn't anything anyone could do about it.
Oh, I find this slimy, no doubt. Given their general reputation for integrity (very different from "caring") it surprises me that they did this, even though it is clearly "legal." To me, this tarnishes their reputation and makes them seem more like a business than previously.

This is bean counters winning over image makers.

Cheers.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:22 AM   #22
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Well, I've done plumbing, electrical and bathroom fixtures, so I could help if adopted. Don't let the fact that I'm a fair bit older than you be a deterrent.

Oh, you'd likely have to adopt mrs. brp as well. Of course, then we'd both be your kids...and married to each other. May need to rethink this...

Cheers.
I donít think I can afford you two.

Quote:
I'm mostly concerned about the 2020 point reallocation. They have exploited the lock-off premium and have effectively increased the prices of studios and 1BRs. These increases were NOT offset by reducing other rooms. That is what I find concerning. And after further research, if studios and 1BRs are all part of a 2BR lock-off, then there is absolutely ZERO checks in the system to keep DVC from reallocating those studios and 1BRs to any amount they desire. They could literally make them 1 zillion points a night and there isn't anything anyone could do about it.
Quote:
Oh, I find this slimy, no doubt. Given their general reputation for integrity (very different from "caring") it surprises me that they did this, even though it is clearly "legal." To me, this tarnishes their reputation and makes them seem more like a business than previously.

This is bean counters winning over image makers.

Cheers.
I look at it this way: Is it ďmessed upĒ (insert colorful language here)? Yes.

Will I buy any more points into a system where they exploit loopholes to their own benefit every chance they get to the detriment of the members? Absolutely not.

Iím answering with my wallet which is just about the only thing Disney listens to. I wonít be buying Riviera (something we were going to look into) or any other points in the foreseeable future. The fact that some people are adding on because Disney increased the points needed for studios and 1BRís makes me sad for those owners and angry at Disney all at the same time. I get why theyíre doing it, but itís so wrong to be put in that position as a current owner.

I used to brag that DVC was the best timeshare out there in the marketplace. Theyíve become no better than the rest IMO.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:30 AM   #23
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
I donít think I can afford you two.
Shit. We can't afford us two....

Quote:
I look at it this way: Is it ďmessed upĒ (insert colorful language here)? Yes.

Will I buy any more points into a system where they exploit loopholes to their own benefit every chance they get to the detriment of the members? Absolutely not.

Iím answering with my wallet which is just about the only thing Disney listens to. I wonít be buying Riviera (something we were going to look into) or any other points in the foreseeable future. The fact that some people are adding on because Disney increased the points needed for studios and 1BRís makes me sad for those owners and angry at Disney all at the same time. I get why theyíre doing it, but itís so wrong to be put in that position as a current owner.

I used to brag that DVC was the best timeshare out there in the marketplace. Theyíve become no better than the rest IMO.
We may well buy more points after retirement. They'll be resale, and we'll only be interested in the Original 14, so it will work.

I still find DVC one of the better ones in terms of perks (low fee structure, quite flexible), but they have moved closer to the pack. Sadly, no reason not to.

Cheers.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:18 AM   #24
sawickipedia
One Bedroom

Quote:
The better analyses that I have seen (not posted on MO fwiw) effectively show the point reallocations were a wash (or close enough that my previous experience with things like this tells me it is a wash). And legally and contractually IT HAS TO BE A WASH otherwise DVC owners could create a class-action and sue. Sure the reallocation sucks for some of us (as standard studio user at BWV I'm hit) but it's Disney's right to try and manage the demand to have it even out.

If folks feel like it violates their contracts, then I encourage them to discuss it with a class-action attorney (I say that sincerely).

I think @brp hit it right in that it rightfully feels similar to how the airlines have debased their freq flier programs recently. Now airlines aren't contractually limited in the way Disney is so I am not as concerned.

Look for those of us who want to vacation at Disney, DVC is still, by far, the most cost effective way to do so. I love the fact that instead of paying $400 for the most convenient premium hotel at Disney, instead it will cost my family $124/nt (on a fully amortized 2020 point chart basis). Considering I paid $200-240/nt to stay at POR in the years leading up to our DVC purchase - I'm feeling my family is getting a hell of a bargain.
sawickipedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:47 AM   #25
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
All of these changes have actually made me tap the brakes. Iím not liking the direction DVC is headed. They do not seem to care about their members at this point.

I have the same feelings for last couple yrs when they started rolling out restrictions one after another.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:50 AM   #26
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Shit. We can't afford us two....

We may well buy more points after retirement. They'll be resale, and we'll only be interested in the Original 14, so it will work.

I still find DVC one of the better ones in terms of perks (low fee structure, quite flexible), but they have moved closer to the pack. Sadly, no reason not to.

Cheers.

Are you talking MF or other fees? DVC MF is going up at alarming rate.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:01 AM   #27
Aseni
Studio

Sorry new here ! Whatís MF ?
Aseni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:22 AM   #28
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
Are you talking MF or other fees? DVC MF is going up at alarming rate.
This year was at least understandable. My combined averages are still good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aseni View Post
Sorry new here ! Whatís MF ?
Maintenance Fees
Old 01-12-2019, 09:24 AM   #29
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Same here. Iím getting a remodeled bathroom instead.
We just got a quote for remodeling our master bath - lets just say you can buy a WHOLE LOT of point for that In fact that was my first thought - for those $$ I can more than double my current point total. Good Luck
Old 01-12-2019, 09:30 AM   #30
jsand99
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawickipedia View Post
The better analyses that I have seen (not posted on MO fwiw) effectively show the point reallocations were a wash (or close enough that my previous experience with things like this tells me it is a wash). And legally and contractually IT HAS TO BE A WASH otherwise DVC owners could create a class-action and sue. Sure the reallocation sucks for some of us (as standard studio user at BWV I'm hit) but it's Disney's right to try and manage the demand to have it even out.

If folks feel like it violates their contracts, then I encourage them to discuss it with a class-action attorney (I say that sincerely).

I think @brp hit it right in that it rightfully feels similar to how the airlines have debased their freq flier programs recently. Now airlines aren't contractually limited in the way Disney is so I am not as concerned.

Look for those of us who want to vacation at Disney, DVC is still, by far, the most cost effective way to do so. I love the fact that instead of paying $400 for the most convenient premium hotel at Disney, instead it will cost my family $124/nt (on a fully amortized 2020 point chart basis). Considering I paid $200-240/nt to stay at POR in the years leading up to our DVC purchase - I'm feeling my family is getting a hell of a bargain.
Do you mind explaing how you came up with your cost per night with DVC?
jsand99 is offline   Reply With Quote