home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-25-2018, 10:57 AM   #1
ustasmom
One Bedroom

Default New decision: TA Magic Sept 2018 or Panama Wonder Nov 2019

I need advice on these two cruises. We are planning to do an anniversary cruise (no kids.)

We want to do a Panama Canal crossing at one point BUT November is a tough time (work.) The TA does happen to coincide with vacation time, though.

TA: Dover England (How do I get there?) Going home from NY is not a problem.

Panama: We have to get to San Diego and then get out of Galveston (neither one sounds easy.)

We heard that the Atlantic has rockier seas in the westbound crossing. True or false?
ustasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:20 PM   #2
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Both sound excellent to me. Best of luck with your decision.

If the Magic ends up being your choice, it looks like there are private transfers from London to Dover. That's probably your best bet.
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:23 PM   #3
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

To me "TA" in this context means "travel agent", but that doesn't make sense.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:25 PM   #4
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
To me "TA" in this context means "travel agent", but that doesn't make sense.

Trans-Atlantic here.
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:26 PM   #5
J9W
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

we are taking the West bound trans Atlantic in September flying into London a few days before - Disney is doing transfers from central London to Dover for $60 a person and for $70 a person from the airport. If you are not interested in seeing London yo could fly into either airport (I would recommend the day before) and then stay at the airport and do a transfer from there.

we did the Maritimes cruise two years ago just after the trans atlantic - 5 days and had calm seas every day. There is a 5 day stretch from Cork to Sydney that is the most open ocean.

if you are considering it then think about booking the middle of the ship where you feel the motion less.
J9W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:13 AM   #6
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasmom View Post
I need advice on these two cruises. We are planning to do an anniversary cruise (no kids.)

We want to do a Panama Canal crossing at one point BUT November is a tough time (work.) The TA does happen to coincide with vacation time, though.

TA: Dover England (How do I get there?) Going home from NY is not a problem.

Panama: We have to get to San Diego and then get out of Galveston (neither one sounds easy.)

We heard that the Atlantic has rockier seas in the westbound crossing. True or false?
As others have posted, London will be your entry point to England with a transfer to Dover however it makes sense for you. Private transfer of any type would certainly be the easiest, but it can also be done on public transport if cost is a factor. I would recommend flying in at least one day early. Most likely it's a red-eye, so you need the time to catch up on your sleep as well as allow a buffer for travel issues.

Of the two itineraries, I like the TA itinerary. It's shorter, so more affordable, and works for us better that time of year if we were to take it. The North Atlantic will be rockier but I think the TA is in September? So not as bad as it could be unless there is a storm. Given it's peak hurricane season, though, the storms usually do end spiraling upward into the North Atlantic. There is never a risk-free crossing where motion is concerned.

One thing to consider with the PC transit, you are heading West to East, which means you lose an hour every couple of days over 3 time zones. On the TA, you're heading East to West, which means you gain an hour each day over 5 time zones.

I believe the Galveston cruisers fly out of Houston. Again, Disney would have transfers. We personally would want a PC transit that starts or ends in PC since flights to Orlando are cheaper and non-stops more plentiful. Same for flights to LAX or SAN.

You should also think about whether you want cool, early-fall weather, or warm, tropical weather!

Dirk
Old 05-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #7
Limace
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

We are looking at those two cruises in 2019 and are torn too!
Limace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:38 PM   #8
Kmurf
One Bedroom

DW and I did the 11 night WBTA in September 2015. We have done a bunch of Disney Cruises and it was the BEST CRUISE EVER, until we did the 12-Night Norwegian Fjords and Iceland Cruise from Dover to Copenhagen. But it still was excellent!

If you can go a few days early, I would recommend it. We have flown into London and then rented a car and drove to Dover. Stayed a few nights at an excellent B and B within walking distance of the Cliffs of Dover and also visited Dover Castle. There are also shuttle buses from London airports to Dover. The car rental drop off is right at the Dover Port.

The cruise itself was amazing! 11 days of relaxing. It was the most leisurely cruise we have ever been on. We love sea days and this cruise had 8 of them. It gave us a chance to have brunch 3 times at Paloís! There was plenty of things to do all over the ship. We love the Magic and have sailed on it many times. Itís like going home. For this extended cruise Disney offered lots of extra entertainment and special events. There were extra shows, lots of movies, a behind the scenes tour of the Walt Disney Theater that was really neat and many other great things to do. We did a lot of walking to stay in shape after all the great food.

Dining was great as always. We went through the dining rotation almost 4 times in 11 nights and each time was different than the last. We had great servers which really made the cruise special. We choose to dine alone without having to sit with strangers, but we do interact with the tables close to us.

Since we had 8 days at sea, we saved a bunch on Port Excursions. As Dirk mentioned, you gain an hour pretty much each day. An extra hour to sleep.

The weather during the entire trip couldnít have been any better. It was sunny and mild throughout the entire crossing. The seas were so calm that we were well into our trip before I heard someone mention that it was the first time they felt the ship moving.

Hope that your trip will be as enjoyable as ours was. It couldnít have been any better. Let me know if I can answer any questions that you may have.*

Have a great time!
DCL Cruises - 14 and counting. Platinum has it's benefits.
Kmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:11 AM   #9
ustasmom
One Bedroom

Wow! Everyone has been so helpful. Thank you.

The WBTA is so much cheaper than the Panama Canal and it happens to be over my birthday and our 30th wedding anniversary. Dh is a warm climate guy. He won't do Alaska because he can see ice. And he is a sea day guy as well. The Mediterranean cruise was also an option but too many port days for his liking.

Good to know about the transfer, though. We would fly in standby so we might need an extra day or two on the front side, just to be safe.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 06-18-2018, 12:25 PM   #10
ustasmom
One Bedroom

Alrighty!

We have committed and booked the WBTA. It is our 30th anniversary. I do feel guilty about not bringing the kids, though.

And I may need to find someone to go to the shows with (or bring earplugs for dh.)

Thanks all!